Brewer Fanatic

9 Brewers with 10+ HRs this year? 5 with 30+ ?

Kurt

I read sometime this week that the Crew has 7 players with 10 or more HRs this year. The next closest team has 5 players. By the end of the year, Weeks will have at least 10 and there and if Kapler keeps hitting like he is, he will have hit at least 10 as well, bringing the total to 9 players with 10+ home runs. Anyone know the record books for most players with X amount of home runs at the end of the year? I know it's an outside chance but they also have a chance of having 5 players with 30 or more to end the season.

Side Note: Proof that home runs do not always win ball games. That last great Brewers team of 1992 had just two players to end the year with 10 or more HRs. Vaughn with 23 and Molitor with 12. Aww man, Franklyn Stubbs next with 9. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif

I'd be very surprised if more than 3 Brewers finish with more than 30 home runs. If I had to bet I'd say two will do it, though Hart should have a decent shot. I still think there's a possibility of 6 guys with 20+ though, I can't imagine that's been done too often.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
The 1982 Brewers had 5 guys with 20+ and Molitor had 19.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

More than 2 with 30+ is very difficult.

In all the years that the Cubs have been playing in "HR friendly" Wrigley, only once have they had more than 2 in 1 season with 30 or more.
2004 - Moises Alou - 39, Aramis Ramirez - 36, Sammy Sosa - 35, Derrek Lee 32.

Even in the 60's with Banks, Williams, and Santo, never did all 3 crack the 30+ mark in the same season.

The 1996 Orioles fielded a lineup during the playoffs where every player had at least 20 home runs for the season.

B Anderson CF 50hr

T Zeile 3B 25

R Alomar 2B 22

R Palmeiro 1B 39

B Bonilla RF 28

C Ripken SS 26

E Murray DH 22

B Surhoff LF 21

C Hoiles C 25

In addition they had a Pete Incaviglia, a late season pick up, who hit 18 homers between Philly and Baltimore. Zeile and Murray were also mid season pickups. Neither hit 20 for the Orioles, but both had over 20 combined between two teams.

Archived