Brewer Fanatic

8/17/2006 Brewers (Sheets) vs. Astros (Hirsh) 7:05 CT

thablingster
  • Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Let's give him another $10 mill per year. It's as ridiculous a proposition as giving that amount to him in his last contract. Ben Sheets is unarguably the most overrated player in Brewers history. There is an unjustified love-fest that a lot of Brewers fans have for this guy for no real apparent reason. I wish I could put in one good year of work and be rewarded by a contract that sets me up for the rest of my life.

Gotta love Ned Yost's great managerial decision making. When asked why Jenkins was starting, here's Nedly's enlightening response:

"We're looking for more offense," Yost said. "Jenks has been working real hard on his adjustments, and it's been awhile since he's started."

He wasn't even benched a week, was he? Is Mr. Yost that worried about hurting someone's feelings? Unfreakingbelievable.

Where did that get ya Ned.......0-2 2 K's 3 LOB. WOW, now I call that "adjustments" Ned.

Bucksman, as far as Sheets is concerned the guy just isnt healthy. Its easy to say now that he isnt worth the contract but the fact is the guy is great when healthy. Unfortunately the guy is constantly hurt and unable to show the fans how great he can be.

Bucksman, as far as Sheets is concerned the guy just isnt healthy. Its easy to say now that he isnt worth the contract but the fact is the guy is great when healthy. Unfortunately the guy is constantly hurt and unable to show the fans how great he can be.

That's exactly the problem that I have. Why is it so readily apparent that Sheets was destined to be so "great"? Sure, he had flashes of brilliance. Ahh, so did Derrick "my butt is glued to the bullpen bench" Turnbow for a year and a half. No one is so "shocked" that Turnbow sucks and isn't worth his contract. So why is everyone so convinced that Sheets was ever more than just a decent pitcher?

This team has one outfielder that may be a decent everyday player in Corey Hart. The rest of these outfielders are no better than 4th or 5th outfielders. Melvin better trade for two new outfielders before next season because Mench, Gross, Clark, and especially Jenkins all suck.

Bucksman, when Sheets is healthy the guy is definitely a number one starter. Look at the numbers. This season has to be thrown out because he has been injured all year. In 2004 he was as good as any pitcher in the game and he was also excellent last year. Unfortunately the team was terrible and never scored any runs for him so his record never showed how good he was.

Just got back from the game. A few thoughts...

Seeing Jenkins starting is almost like seeing Ned throw Turnbow out there time after time when the world knows he's just lost it.

Sheets is not right. I was excited after his last start but this wasn't good. His velocity hit 94 according to the scoreboard maybe a couple times but he was most around 88-89.

Our RISP offense has got to be the worst. It's just plain frustrating sitting there as guys hit pop up after pop up.

As much as I know we're not technically "out of it" I just cannot see us even getting back to .500 at this point.

Pretty dejected after a real bore of a performance by the Crew.

So why was Jenkins starting? For being "benched" he sure is getting a lot of playing time.

We were joking in the stands about how pitchers pitch Jenkins with the low-inside stuff. And sure enough Jenkins comes up to the plate and whiff goes the bat. The 2nd time he struck out it looked like the same pitch as the last time he struck out. Jenks is probably better served when he doesn't swing anymore.

Sheets topped at 94mph I believe. He had some good moments, but never really looked good out there.

The offense is sickening and painful to watch. More than half the base-runners were from walks and they still can't score. They were trying to give the game away and we STILL couldn't score. When the bases were loaded and Miller came up to bat I was just waiting for the DP.

So I guess I'm disappointed.

3TO Apostle

official name change - Wiff Jenkins

It's been G-Whiff since 2002, when I saw it written on a dry erase message board in the Brewers' ticket office. (Came from the organization, must be true.) The booing was plentiful after his unsuccessful ABs.

Boy, what a stinker. They peaked on the first batter and went almost nowhere after that. And Ben's human (or hurting, or maybe both).

I found myself wondering if the Astros had a team meeting or something. Have the Brewers even tried something like that this season? Not that I'd expect it to really solve anything, but it would make me feel more like they cared.

The Brewers are now 9-6 in games hawing attends.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Archived