Brewer Fanatic

8/17/2006 Brewers (Sheets) vs. Astros (Hirsh) 7:05 CT

thablingster

Milwaukee Brewers

Ben Sheets (3-4, 4.98 )

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20060813/capt.8392ef2afb7b42cd90d2b82c0d0fd2e8.brewers_braves_baseball_gags103.jpg

Sheets pitched last Saturday at Atlanta, throwing 7 innings of 2 run baseball before running into trouble in the 8th. The bullpen was able to hold off the Braves as Sheets picked up his 4th win this season. Sheets struck out 8 and walked none.

vs.

Houston Astros

Jason Hirsh (0-1, 9.00)

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/images/2006/03/07/URWvSiO2.jpg

This will be Hirsh's second career big league start, as he lost his Major League debut against the Padres on Aug. 12 when he surrendered four runs in the fourth inning on three Padres home runs. One of the Astros top prospects, Hirsh has spent most of the season at Triple-A Round Rock, where he went 13-2 with a 2.10 ERA and 118 strikeouts.

... No TV tonight? I guess we'll all be listening to 620, then. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/glasses.gif

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These are games 10, 11, 12 & 13 in a stretch of 20 games in 20 days for Houston.

With the 18 inning contest in there as well, they should be in tatters.

Long live your ear drum, your pectoral and your behind-the-shoulder-muscle-thing-that-has-nothing-to-do-with-your-shoulder Ben!

Quote:
God forbid us having to either actually go to the game or listen to Bob Uecker once a week when the game isn't televised! The injustice is unbearable!

Once a week? It will be 3 games this week alone that wont be televised. Its easy for people in the Milwaukee area to take a night and go the game, but for people who live a far distance its almost impossible. Is it too much to ask FSN North to show a few more games a year?

channels in the 700s are the super duper sports subscription channels (NFL Sunday Ticket, MLB Extra Innings, NBA League Pass, NHL Center Ice, MLS Shootout, ESPN college FB and BB packages)

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

i live a good 4 hours away from milwaukee but im not complaining. first of all fsn added a whole bunch of games to the scheudle this year. i belive they have shown a good share in the past week or so. all 3 vs atlanta and chicago. 2 of 3 vs pitt. i cant remmeber enough past that to make a direct quote on how many but i do know we have not been slighted that much lately. Plus, Uecker and powell are a more easy listen then daron and bill.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Reds and Phillies lose, Arizona and San Diego trailing in their games. Potential to gain on five teams that were ahead or tied with the Crew this morning (including the Astros) and to close to within four of the wild card tonight.

Basically, Ben has to earn some of his money this evening.

The Astros have a rookie going who was lit up last time. We have our ace on the mound. We have a great home record, and the Astros struggle on the road. The Reds lost too, and this is a chance to climb back into the wild card race.

I wonder how the Brewers will find a way to screw this up.

By the way, this series is huge and all the games really should be on TV. Shame on FSN and the Brewers.

Quote:
Once a week? It will be 3 games this week alone that wont be televised. Its easy for people in the Milwaukee area to take a night and go the game, but for people who live a far distance its almost impossible. Is it too much to ask FSN North to show a few more games a year?

FSN is televising 125 games this year. Not showing 37 games on a 26 week schedule translate to missing less than 1.5 games per week. Understandably, they may have stocked up on games closer to the beginning of the season when interest is more easily predicted. But that doesn't mean games won't be added to the schedule at the end of the season if the Brewers continue to draw interest (Mark A. payed for 5 games to be added last season and FSN threw in the final game for free). (Here's a nice article on the FSN contract)

While it'd be nice to pick and choose which games are shown depending on team matchups and starting pitchers, these decisions were made prior to the season and I'm sure there is difficulty adding games to the schedule mid-season when other programming has already been assigned.

I guess I just don't see the point in whining everytime a game is not on television when the VAST majority already are. If following the game is that important and you can't listen to Uecker on a local radio station, the $15 radio subscription on MLB.com is a great alternative.

I agree it'd be great if every game was available on TV, but I guess it's just a pet peave of mine when people complain... http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

bf82-

While I understand and respect that you don't like it when people complain about the FSN contract....the bottom line is that the Brewers play 162 games a year, and only 125 of them are broadcast. If the FSN contract covered all the games (or even just all the night / weekend games), 90% of the complaints would go away.

So long as the Brewers are playing....and Brewers fans can't turn on their TV's and watch (for reasons other than NFL-esque attendance blackouts), people have a right to complain, IMO.

As for the game itself, here's to hoping for double-digit strikeouts out of # 15 tonight.

Archived