Brewer Fanatic

Bonds agent says no team wants Bonds

Jeff Borris, Barry Bonds agent is quoted in a USA today article, as saying that he has not talked to any team about Bonds, because all 30 teams have said they have no interest in him. Borris also says in the short article, "I can't believe he doesn't have a job. No one has offered even the minimum salary. He made the All-Star team last year, and there's no reason to believe he wouldn't have a repeat performance in 2008, except for the conspiracy against him."

I have to agree with Borris, last year Bonds got on base 48% of the time, that is almost unheard of, he is still one of the top 25 hitters in the game. Sure he is not a very good fielder any more, but some would argue that he is better, or at least on par with Adam Dunn, and Carlos Lee, both of whom play in the national league, without the benefit of the designated hitter. The biggest excuse is that he is a cancer in the clubhouse. I just dont buy that his personality could have that big of an effect on other players performances, I doubt Rich Aurillia goes up to the plate thinking about what Bonds said to him the other day.

A team like the Rays, are crazy not to add Bonds, since they could get alot more games out of him, because he could DH, which would save his legs. You can have a guy that will get on base a ton, and hit 25-35 homeruns over a whole season, and no team is willing to at least give him a shot for the league minimum? I find it hard to believe that there is not some sort of conspiracy against him here.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I don't think teams are shying away from him because he is a clubhouse cancer. I'd guess at this stage of his career that Bonds could be an angel for three months on a contending team.

I think teams are shying away from him because of the media hordes that will follow him (and his new team). You aren't just adding a 480 OBP guy with decent power who hits left-handed to your team. You are also adding a guy who is widely thought to have used performance enhancing drugs and has been indited by the United States Government. Regardless of what you think about his guilt or innocence or how performance-enhancers have affected his career, the media circus that is Barry Bonds is something most teams look to avoid.

If Barry were 35 and capable of hitting 50 home runs, I think teams would be more likely to look past the "extras" Bonds brings to a team. But he's not 35, or even 40, but will be 44 in 13 days. He could well be an asset to a team, but it's going to need to be a team that is used to spending lots of time with the media and a team with lots of strong veteran leadership. Otherwise, GMs aren't going to risk signing him.

I don't think there is any sort of conspiracy myself. I think his troubles and age have caught up with him and he's no longer worth the trouble.

Chris

-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

I just cant belive that none of the 30 teams thinks that a guy that will get on base half of the time, and can be had for peanuts is not worth the risk. Age may have caught up with him, but even an over the hill bonds, is still one of the 20 best hitters in the game. From a PR standpoint it is probably not the best move, but a playoff berth would cure that instantly.

He still has an agent? What's he promoting now? Soap on a rope/file in a cake? It would be a public relations nightmare to sign this guy. When was the last time federal agents arrested a guy when the count was 3-2? Sign Bonds and you might actually get to see it. No one will touch him.

I don't think teams are shying away from him because he is a clubhouse cancer.
To the contrary, I think that's exactly why teams are shying away from him. The hordes of cameras and reporters invading the clubhouse and focusing specifically on Bonds would be an absolute chemistry killer.

Plus, Melvin knows that I'd shut the site down.

I think if he didn't have an impending trial, teams would be a lot less reluctant to make him an offer. There's just too much baggage with the guy right now. To be honest, I don't know why this is suddenly a big story. It's been kind of nice not talking about Barry for the last three or four months.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
To the contrary, I think that's exactly why teams are shying away from him. The hordes of cameras and reporters invading the clubhouse and focusing specifically on Bonds would be an absolute chemistry killer.

Plus, Melvin knows that I'd shut the site down.

I guess I was defining clubhouse cancer as it related to his direct interaction with his teammates. I think he could probably get along with the other 24 guys well enough for a couple of months without someone getting punched.

But I 100% agree with you that the media would be a chemistry killer, and I 100% agree with you that I don't ever want to see Bonds put on a Brewer uniform. Hopefully the threat of shutting BF.net down is enough to make sure it never happens.

Chris

-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

Hatred is awesome, and so is sheep-like agreement. Nothing is so entertaining than watching the masses gang up on some one--that alone is a reason to want Bonds to be playing. We could create a new position Designated Hatee. It would be like the colored bowling pin. You get a prize for knocking it down.

Man oh man there are a lotta gutless teams out there. Don't they know that the Roman Circus was the only game in town. Talk about a money maker.

When Bonds gets on base, can he actually run at all though? IIRC, he was really slow last year. He is the only player who might actually clog the bases (unless if he was followed by some good power hitters).

Does anyone think people pitched him last year like he was the Barry of a few years ago vs. his current form of a broken down man. When challenged he failed alot more then he succeeded(like all ball players).

He will not stand trial until march, so nothing from a legal standpoint is holding him back. And again how is he a broken down man, when he OPS's over 1.00, and has an OBP of .480. If that is broken down, I hope to God the brewers get like 12 broken down hitters, we would be unstopable.

My prediction is that if Bonds comes back this year it will be a result of Texas trading Bradley for prospects and then signing him for a cheap deal. I think the ideal team for him is a team in need of a DH with a very shaky chance of making the playoffs that will make them less averse to rolling the dice.

Personally, I think the MLB owners have a private "gentlemen's agreement" not to hire Bonds anymore. Just a theory.

I started a thread on here in March titled "Is Barry Bonds being blackballed?"

And I think 4 months later the answer is transparently Yes.

Somehow every team in the AL has individually decided a guy with a .480 OBP and still hits homers just as well as anyone in the league is not worth the headache? Come on.

Barry Bonds is the face of the Steroid Era and he plays the heel role as well as anyone in sports, I think Selig wants us to believe keeping Bonds out of Baseball means the Steroids Era is officially over.

I just can't believe the Giants don't ask him back. Could you imagine that team if they had anybody that could hit a baseball hard?

I started a thread on here in March titled "Is Barry Bonds being blackballed?"

And I think 4 months later the answer is transparently Yes.

Did he do it to himself? The answer is transparently yes as well. Granted, he's a hitter, but the question is, how good will he be without the juice? He's been a jerk to the media, and demanding of his own way, which, added to the steroid issue, the perjury charges hanging over his head, makes an owner really question whether the reward is worth the risk. I wouldn't do it.

Archived