Brewer Fanatic

Top Pitchers still on the block

I looked around and found no topics about what pitchers are still on the block. I figure this topic can be where these pitchers and what teams they may go to. With that said, who are the top pitchers still availabe. I can think of a few, but I'm sure there are more out there.

Erik Bedard LHP SEA

Greg Maddux RHP SDP

Randy Wolf LHP SDP

A.J. Burnett RHP TOR

mlbtraderumors.com, revised the starting pitcher market recently, there is really not many quality pitchers left that are for sure available. If the dodgers fall out of contention, Derek Lowe would be a great pitcher to get, he is on of the most undervalued pitchers, and is very durable, with a very reasonable contract. The other guys are either back of the rotation guys, like Maddux, and Wolf, have contract issues like Burnett, or either not very good, or very inconsistent.

I would have to imagine that the phillies are going to pick up a starter, my guess would be Burnett. One other thing to consider is that Maddux has a no trade clause, and really does not want to leave San Diego, the only teams I could see him agreeing to go to would be the Braves, Cubs, or another west coast team.

I think with the West as pathetic as it is, the Dodgers still feel like they have a shot and will actually be buyers at the deadline. Yeah, the cupboard is pretty bare right now on the pitching market.

And I really, really don't think Maddux is going anywhere. He's got a no-trade, and I really don't think he's going to be motivated to waive it.

Why wouldn't Maddux be "motivated" to waive his no-trade clause to come to Milwaukee? I see a few reasons why he would be motivated...

1) Legit shot at playoffs and current Wild Card holding team

2) Relationships with Yost and Maddux make move a comfortable one

3) Makes up the best rotation in the NL with Sabathia, Sheets, Parra, Maddux, and Suppan.

Plus, you dangle Gwynn Jr. out there and I think you'll get them to bite.

FWIW, I am hearing that the Jays and the Phils are working on a Burnett deal.

It's a calculated risk with all of these guys. The are aging, or injury-prone, or whatever. The GMs know it's a gamble. (I heard Hendry talk about this re: Harden, and he was very frank.)

Why wouldn't Maddux be "motivated" to waive his no-trade clause to come to Milwaukee? I see a few reasons why he would be motivated...

1) Legit shot at playoffs and current Wild Card holding team

2) Relationships with Yost and Maddux make move a comfortable one

3) Makes up the best rotation in the NL with Sabathia, Sheets, Parra, Maddux, and Suppan.

Plus, you dangle Gwynn Jr. out there and I think you'll get them to bite.

Maddux + Miller Park +Brewer Defense = Ugly

At this point Maddux is not worthwhile. the only way I'd be ok with it is if Bush and McClung both went down the tubes in a hurry. I am anxious to see if Bush can take some of this momentum on the road and continue to pitch solidly. McClung has done everything expected of him and more as a starter.

Bedard is interesting because he wouldn't be a 2 month "rent-an-arm." If CC and Sheets both leave, you would still have Gallardo, Bedard, Parra at the font of the roation- not too shabby. If he jsut has a tired arm, the Brewers are in position to let him rest on the DL for a while. Seattle clearly wants to deal him.

Well, they've only had to pay him for half of one season. They can risk waiting until the off-season, or take what they can get now. They're suddenly in the dump salary mode. I wouldn't give up Escobar or Gamel, but Salome and TGJ might be enough.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I've heard rumblings that Greinke might be available. I'd like him over most others since he's fairly cheap and would be under control for a few years. Not sure KC is really willing to part with him but it's a possibility.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

He's got a ring, a house 45 minutes from the stadium, and the Padres are flipping the bill for his country club measurement. I would be absolutely shocked if Maddux agreed to be traded.

Bedard is currently on the DL with a sore shoulder, after having dealt with a sore back all season. He's not well-liked in Seattle, he won't talk to the media, etc.

For what it would cost to get him, I'd rather not.

I don't think Seattle will part with Bedard right now. They gave up a lot to get him and his value is at a low point right now. Seattle would be smarter to get him rehabed, pitch him the rest of the season and trade him an the offseason.

Bedard is hurt and would represent the only probable upgrade from what Bush/McClung/Suppan will give us on any given day. The rest are 4/5's that struggle about as much as our three just mentioned. Pass, yet they'll be interesting names to see where they do end up.

I would be really, really, okay for a Bedard acquisition. I don't think the Mariners intend to let him go, but Bedard, Gallardo, and Parra does something for me....

There is a pitcher available who put up the following stats in a pennant race last September:

5 GS, 30 IP, 24 Hits allowed, 7 Runs allowed, 7 earned runs allowed, 15 BB. 21 K. 2.10 ERA, 2-2 record.

He would cost the Brewers next to nothing. In fact he would cost them exactly nothing.

His name?

Carlos Villanueva

If the Brewers add a reliever, they could do exactly what they did in 07. Send Villy down for 2-3 starts to extend his arm, and bring him back for the stretch. Forget what he did in April in May this year. Lots of guys struggle the first time they start a season in a rotation. Villy is ready willing and able to be the same pitcher he was down the stretch last year.

As Briggs hints at, the odds of Maddux or especially Wolf being any better than Carlos or Bush/McClung is tiny. I'm sure Doug and Gord have a list ready in case of injury, but right now, giving up a prospect for no improvement seems silly.

Right, but the upgrade of Bush/McClung over Mota/Gange is huge

Exactly. I have little doubt that the Brewers will add one more arm to the staff. Who that arm is will depend on the team's cost/benefit analysis - would it be cheaper and still effective to trade for a marginal starter and slide Bush/McClung to the pen, or would it be more effective, but a little more costly, to trade for a good reliever?

I still say TGJ has intrinsic value to the Padres that he'd have to few other teams, which is why Wolf and Maddux (or Heath Bell or heck, Mike Adams) interest me so much. What reliever are we going to get for Gwynn from another team?

FTJ is probably correct, that when Suppan comes back, the starter moved to the 'pen will improve it. Stetter has done fine, but to add a proven LH reliever seems very Doug like. Mitch will still be in AAA for depth, and adding veteran talent to the bullpen, even if only for moxie, shows they are moving towards contention.

Archived