Brewer Fanatic

When Suppan comes back who goes?

nate82

Do the Brewers limit Parra's innings and pull him from the rotation? or do the Brewers move McClung or Bush from the starting rotation. Another good game today by Bush and McClung hasn't been slouching either. It is going to be a tough decision for Yost that is for sure when Suppan comes back. Would the Brewers actually put Suppan in the bullpen as another long reliever option and move someone down. If Mota doesn't find anything do the Brewers DFA him? and then put Villanueva in his spot?

Lots of answers to be answered after the All Star break when Suppan comes back. Especially the player who will be moved back down to the minors. Stetter has started pitching good again I don't see how you could move him back down to AAA and only have 1 lefty in the bullpen unless the Brewers are going to put Parra there. I don't want to be Melvin or Yost and this decision is going to be a tough one.

I would guess Parra has around 12 starts left (that is if he averages between 6 to 7 innings). He would only need to skip a handful of starts to be able to finish off the year. I agree with And That it would be better to do it early rather than late. If McClung and Bush are both pitching well when Soup comes back give Manny 3 or 4 starts off. He will then be good to go later in the year. If McClung or Bush really start to struggle than I would say keep going with Parra and then late in the year when we have a couple days off we could skip his spot.

I could see Manny being sent to the bullpen for 3 or so weeks and then come back and replace whomever is sucking the most at that point.
I bet this happens eventually. But Ned will likely wait until Manny has a bad outing or two. I doubt you bench him when he is red hot. (Besides, can you imagine the casual fan trying to figure out why Manny was benched for Suppan & McClung?)

I like the notion of getting Parra out now, and having him around for late season & a possible postseason.

The rollercoaster ride of 2008:

ST: Too much SPing!

May: Ruh roh.

July: Too much SPing!

It's good to have this good problem back again. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Are we all assuming the Brewers have Parra' limit at about 160-165 innings? If so, isn't that about exactly where he's headed - regular season only? If so, I say you keep him right where he is, in the groove that he seems to be in, until he shows signs of struggling, tiring, etc. If that hapens to be in September, so be it. In the meantime, you stack up as many victories as you can.

When Suppan returns, you send McClung back the the bullpen, and I think its a pretty easy decision.

I really don't think we should be pulling Parra much when he's pitching so well. Aren't we going for it all this year. I think better game management and pulling him early is better than skipping his starts all together. That other game when we brought him in as a relief pitcher I was worried that it would somehow screw him up a bit.

In an ideal world where there were no concerns about Parra's innings, you send McClung. If they're going to pull Parra from the rotation at any point, however, now is the time. Whoever is sent to the pen, I just hope (probably in vain) that Yost finds a more creative and useful role for him than the one Mark DiFelice used to have and apparently Villy has now.

McClung to bullpen. He is reported to be suffering from a "dead" arm right now. Why not limit his innings. He doesn't throw more than 5 anyway in a game.

Is that true? I hadn't heard that. I guess it makes sense as he's lost a little bit on his stuff, but I thought that was part of his move to the rotation.
Formerly Andersoc420

Parra needs to be pulled at some point and I'd rather they do it now as opposed to later so that he'll be strong at the end of the year. I could see Manny being sent to the bullpen for 3 or so weeks and then come back and replace whomever is sucking the most at that point.

Are you positive the team intends to do this?

I just question with a playoff berth on the line if the team doesn't take a chance and leave Parra in the rotation all year, even if that means him throwing 20-30 more innings than they would prefer. If they do, obviously they would monitor closely how Manny is feeling.

Late August would seem to be a good time to skip Parra if needed. They've got 3 days off in an 8 day stretch. Otherwise Sheets and Sabathia go 7 days between starts.

They really only need to skip him maybe twice to keep his innings under 165-170. He'd get 14 starts if he wasn't skipped and he's got maybe 12-13 starts left averaging 6 innings.

I guess the biggest evidence is that they decided to skip Parra's start instead of moving everyone back like they've done given off days in the past.

That could have been just because this was a late change that they could not plan for much in advance. When there is a day off they all know they will have the extra day.

I said Bush just a while back, but as of now, you'd have to say Seth to the 'pen and Mota to the DL or DFA'd (or maybe Stetter to AAA, if Mota figures it out).

I don't like only having Shouse as the guy to get left handed batters out.

When Suppan comes off the DL the decision as to who to keep on the 25 man roster comes down to Mota. Mota has been god awful of late and I for see a stint on the DL for him. Mota has little if any market value as far as a trade goes at this point of his season. I'll bet you $1.00 he hits the DL.

I know I've sounded off about this before, but the whole Parra resting thing just sickens me.

Geez, I wish I could have used that out of College...."You know, I'm not use to working full time. I'm use to having a lot of free time in the summer and I usually didn't have classes on Friday's so I slept in. So, do you mind if I ease into this full time work schedule thing?"

I do realize he's had a past history of injuries, but so has Sheets. Should we rest Sheets as well? When was Parra last injured? Isn't he recovered by now? If not, should he be pitching at all. Either your ready and able to pitch or your not. He is a professional..right? He does do proper conditioning and stretching between starts..correct?

Ok, everyone, let's hear it. Let's hear about how if we pitch him too much this year, it will ruin his career.

Suppan should go to the bullpen based on his performance (ignore contracts at this point). Everyone else should take there normal spot in the rotation without any "skipping".

Like someone else said..I thought we were "going for it" this year.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

...."You know, I'm not use to working full time. I'm use to having a lot of free time in the summer and I usually didn't have classes on Friday's so I slept in. So, do you mind if I ease into this full time work schedule thing?"

Parra's job & workload is a bit different from just wanting to sleep in. The game has changed, and talented pitchers are hard to find. Your logic leads to the Priors & Woods of the MLB world.

When was Parra last injured? Isn't he recovered by now?

It's about gradually increasing the workload on Manny's arm & shoulder. I really don't know why you are so confused by this.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived