Brewer Fanatic

Dream off season moves by the Brewers

Resign Ben Sheets!

Prince Fielder to Detroit for Rick Porcello. (Although I do like The Crew 07's proposal of Fielder for Shields) Porcello and Jeffress would both be on the same track to arrive in Milwaukee. Consider the rotation with Sheets, Gallardo, Parra, Jeffress, and Porcello.

1st Base for 2009 would be Brad Nelson and if need be, Rottino/Dillon.

Mat Gamel learns 1st Base in Nashville.

The other trade I like with TB is Fielder for Neimann and Price. Niemann is pitching much better his second time through AAA and Price is ultra talented but this will be his first pro season after being the #1 overall selection in last year's draft.. Price has had shoulder and elbow issues already, so he's a risky proposition, but the payoffs could be huge. Neimann was the #4 overall selection in 2004, he's also had some arm issues (arthroscopic surgery on his shoulder and his elbow), but was dominant up until last season when he had the worst WHIP of his career at 1.45 and ERA at 3.98, however he's rebounded nicely with a 1.17 WHIP and 3.82 ERA so far this year (he's been stung by the Home Run some). He did have a short stint earlier this season with the big club and was dominant in his first start and struggled against the White Sox in his second start.

I just think Tampa Bay and Milwaukee match up very well, much better than KC. I'm not a fan of picking up Greinke at all, KC has no real motivation to move him either. I'm also not sold on Cain from SF, the more research I do the less I like him, his ERA is a full point higher on the road. Tampa's worst starting pitcher is Andy Sonnanstine with an ERA of 4.58, every other pitcher on their staff has an ERA under 4. I think the Rays have the best rotation in the game as it stands and they need offense. With Pena at 1B, and whomever DH's between Aybar, Gomes, and Floyd... all are very replacable. TB needs more offense and the Brewers will need pitching next year. I still like aquiring Fields the best as he's a sure thing in my opinion, he's a horse. However, if TB would be willing to give up both Neimann and Price I'd do that deal in a hearbeat as well. TB's window is right now, just as the Brewer's windows is now, so both teams might be motivated enough to do this.

I think Tampa would be crazy to trade both Neimann and Price, but injury concerns could potentially hurt their relative value and make a deal like this possible. While Neimann isn't a sure thing, I'm fairly confident he'll succeed and he's MLB ready right now. Price is probably on track for a 2010 debut if he stays healthy.

Anyway, it's good to dream.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Some teams we match up well with are the Royals, Rays, and Giants. All three are looking for some bats and have young pitching to offer. Enter J.J. Hardy and Prince Fielder. All three teams would probably be interested in Fielder, and KC and SF would probably be interested in Hardy's services (David Ecstein's younger brother Mike Aviles isn't going to keep hitting in KC and Moustakas is years away. J.J. would be an upgrade over whatever AAAA player or childhood friend of John McCain is playing shortstop for SF).

Sending Hardy and Angel Salome to sunny California for Matt Cain and Fielder to KC for Greinke would help Brewers fans cope with the loss of Sabathia and probably Sheets as well (although it would anger multitudes of teenage girls across the state).

To add more madness to the off season we send Rickie Weeks and Dave Bush to the Orioles for Brian Roberts and Chad Bradford.

Resigning Sheets would be a dream I'd be having in my dream but lets see what we'd look like with him. Also in my super dream Soup is traded. Probably for an insignificant prospect, but he's off the books.

Rotation

Sheets

Greinke

Cain

Gallardo

Parra

Lineup

2B Roberts

CF Cameron

LF Braun

1B Gamel

RF Hart

3B Hall/Brayan (How could 3TO not be in my dream?)

C Kendall

SS Escobar

P

Bullpen

CL - Torres

RHP - Bradford

RHP - McClung

RHP - Riske

RHP - Villanueva

LHP - Stetter

LHP - Shouse

Note that this dream is pretty far out there and I'd only expect one of these moves to actually happen.

Here's what I would like to see....

Notable Departures:

Ben Sheets (Mil): Simply can't afford to pay him given his injury history.

CC Sabathia (Mil): Simply out of our price range

Eric Gagne: Can't afford to waste a bullpen spot on a unknown

Trades:

Rickie Weeks (Mil) for Ronnie Belliard (Was): Belliard can be a monster at the plate. Look at his three seasons leading up to 2008!

Tony Gwynn Jr (Mil), Angel Salome (Mil), Carlos Villanueva (Mil) for Chris Young (SD): Solid #3 pitcher

Prince Fielder (Mil) for Randy Johnson (Ari) and Doug Slaten (Ari): Another True ace to pair with Gallardo. Needed Lefty in the 'Pen.

Signings:

Arthur Rhodes (Sea): Experienced lefty reliever with a solid track record.

Julio Franco (FA): Clutch hitter, has to have gas left in the tank. A year of rest should have him recharged.

Juan Cruz (Ari): Filthy stuff

Lineup:

C - Jason Kendall

SS - JJ Hardy

LF - Ryan Braun

3B - Russell Branyan / Billy Hall (platoon)

RF - Corey Hart

1B - Matt Gamel / Julio Franco (platoon)

CF - Mike Cameron

2B - Ronnie Belliard

P - Pitcher

Bench:

OF - Kapler

IF - Counsell

C - Rivera

Rotation:

Randy Johnson

Yovani Gallardo

Chris Young

Manny Parra

Jeff Suppan

Bullpen:

Slaten

Cruz

Rhodes

Riske

Bush

Torres

Closer:

McClung

Sincerely,

Sal Bando

Sorry for wasting everyone's time :-)

Right now I am liking Prince moved somewhere more and more every day. I would give Nelson a chance to start at 1st. Please no more Billy Hall throwing errors at 3rd. His defense is nearing that of Braun from last year.

Nelson's OBP and defense might balance out under Prince but you could get a lot in return. Nelson might be able to drive in some more runs than Prince has left on base at this point. You could get a solid starter in return so the loss would not hurt.

Move Hall for anything at this point if possible. I am hoping he gets hot with his bat so he has some worth to end the season. I just wish the Brewers would've dealt him to end this past year especially since he was in rumored deals with St. Louis.

Well, if that's your dream with Suppan is still starting, I would hate to see a nightmare of yours.

Suppan starting is a realistic dream. Soup is signed, and unless you see a taker out there, or are willing for him to eat his contract up in the bullpen, then I don't think there's many places to put him.

Interesting to see everyone in a rush to trade Prince. A team leader, a guy still putting up very good numbers, and won't be a FA for a while yet. Also, do you realize the huge impact he's having on Braun and Hart's numbers?

My dream off-season involves Mark A inventing a time machine going back to the 2006-2007 off-season-season and tell Melvin to take the season off.

2B-Rickie Weeks

SS-J.J. Hardy

LF-Ryan Braun

1B-Prince Fielder

RF-Corey Hart

CF-Mike Cameron

3B-Russell Branyan/Bill Hall

C-Jason Kendall

Bench

Bill Hall/Russell Branyan

Counsell

Rivera

Gabe Kapler

Brad Nelson

Starting pitchers

Dana Eveland

Gallardo

Parra

Davis

Bush

Pen

Torres

Riske

Stetter

Shouse

Villanueva

Dillard

DeFelice

That would be a payroll of about 73 million (which estimates about 10 million for Prince, 7 million for Hardy, 5 million for Corey Hart, and 4 million for Weeks which is probably high on all of them) with another 10 million of easily dumpable money (Cameron, actually we could probably easily renegotiate it down to 5 million). With that kind of payroll we could easily re-sign Sheets and with Doug Davis coming off the payroll in the winter of 2009-2010 there is money coming off the books to help pay for the contract.

Plus we have studs at almost every position in AAA pushing the guys at the big league level. Personally I don't think Escobar is ready next year for the majors. At this point I would rather have a player be in the best position to make an impact right away at the MLB level rather than having the player learn on the job.

At AAA we would have

Pitchers- Inman, Garrison

1B-3B-OF - Gamel

OF- Brantley, Gillespie

SS-Escobar

C-Salome

But since there is going to be no time machine wiping out Melvin's mess ups.

I will have to go with getting whatever we can for Supan, praying that the sheets bidding doesn't get to high so we can re-sign him. Seeing if we can get Cameron down to a reasonable number and going into next season with pretty much the exact same team.

Beast Light, when looking at your proposals I just keep seeing the mid-90s Brewer Logo. Randy Johnson, Franco.... !?!

RONNY BELLIARD?!

That does remind me of an ongoing debate/joke I have with my Cub fan buddy that if Ryne Sandburg made it to the hall of fame then so should Ron Belliard. There is usually stats to prove this.

why even think about bringing in a replacement like Belliard when you've got Escobar coming up and able to play 2B or SS?

and Gwynn, Solome and Villy for Chris Young would be a major steal. SD could get way more for him.

I know I am probably just being whitewashed by the latest Brewer's success and some small samples, but I'm not sure they need to make any big moves this offseason. They will need to shore up their bullpen again with some arms being replaced, but even if both CC and Sheets leave, I like what we have here:

Gallardo

Parra

Suppan

Bush

McClung

While not overwhelming, that numbers Bush and Seth have put up since May are very good for their costs. You know what you are getting with Suppan and I don't see anyone banging down the door to take that contract, so you might as well keep him and hope he stays relatively effective. As far as the lineup, I am still hoping that Hall and Weeks can be the players I think they both can be. If they do that, our offense is just loaded. I suppose we could use a better stick in CF, but I would take Cameron back for his D alone. C has to be Kendall, though I wouldn't mind finding someone to ease his load a bit.

My dream would be for all of our defensive problems areas to magically disappear. I also wouldn't necessarily be opposed to trading Prince, but I doubt we could get what I would want for him--21 or 22 yr-old ace or a 22 yr-old stud C--so I figure we hold on to him until he forces his way out.

Mine:

- A similiar outfield "tweak", but I would have the Brewers trade for Matt Holliday and sign him to a big contract extension. Hart moves to CF.

- Jason Kendall is retained for a couple more years.

- Sabathia is re-signed, and we trade for Matt Gorzelanny from the Pirates to round out the starting rotation.

- Brewers trade for Billy Wagner to help round out the bullpen.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

What about trading Fielder and Weeks to the Angels for Nick Adenhart, Howie Kendrick, and ???. I know Kendrick doesn't get that many walks but he also doesn't strike out a lot either. Adenhart could become a number 3 or number 2 type of a pitcher. I believe we could get more from the Angels but it would just be filler guys with Kendrick and Adenhart coming over in the trade. A lineup of:

1. Kendrick 2B

2. Hardy SS

3. Hart CF

4. Braun RF

5. Branyan/Nelson 1B

6. Hall/Branyan 3B

7. Gamel LF

8. Kendall/Salome C

9. Pitcher

Rotation:

1. Gallardo

2. Parra

3. Suppan

4. Bush

5. McClung

This trade can also set up a trade of Hardy for a starting pitcher who would be more ready than Adenhart is. Maybe a Greinke type of a pitcher could be had for a Hardy + deal.

Or another trade I was thinking about would be Hardy for DeJesus. This would give us a leadoff hitter and a CF that we need. It also brings up Escobar. The only problem with this trade is that we don't get any starting pitching help. I believe 2009 might be a down year we will still be competitive but I believe we will be more like the 2006 team. We would still have a nice lineup though but our starters and the bullpen would be the biggest issues.

A lineup like this would be nice:

1. DeJesus CF

2. Weeks 2B

3. Braun LF

4. Fielder 1B

5. Hart RF

6. Gamel/Hall 3B

7. Escobar SS

8. Kendall/Salome C

9. Pitcher

Archived