Brewer Fanatic

Dream off season moves by the Brewers

Brewers sign Pat Burrell to a 4 year deal worth $60 million Corey Hart moves to CF Burrell takes over at LF and Braun moves to RF. Brewers trade J.J. Hardy and a player to be named later for Zack Greinke of the Royals. Rivera traded for a bullpen arm. I believe Burrell is a free agent after this year. The Brewers could also add Chad Durbin who could take over Mota's spot in the bullpen. Not sure if Durbin is a free agent after this year either.

Starting rotation:

1. Greinke

2. Gallardo

3. Parra

4. Suppan

5. Bush/McClung/Villanueva

Starting lineup:

1. Hart CF

2. Weeks 2B

3. Braun RF

4. Fielder 1B

5. Burrell LF

6. Hall/Gamel 3B

7. Escobar SS

8. Kendall/Salome C

9. Pitcher

With as many corner OF/1B types as the Brewers have (Gamel possibly included), I would be shocked if the Brewers signed a high-priced corner OF. I would be equally as shocked if Burrell accepted that contract to play here. The Brewers will spend money first on pitching, namely trying to resign Sheets or Sabathia... if they sign either of those two to deals that don't cripple the franchise from doing other things too, it would be pretty close to dream offseason.

With as many corner OF/1B types as the Brewers have (Gamel possibly included), I would be shocked if the Brewers signed a high-priced corner OF. I would be equally as shocked if Burrell accepted that contract to play here.

I didn't say it was a reasonable offer just a dream signing. Plus if the Brewers pull off the Greinke deal they add a young starting pitcher into the rotation with Greinke. With that move you are filling a void when Sabathia and Sheets leave.

But the signing of Burrell does do a good thing for the Brewers though. It allows for Weeks to be moved out of the leadoff spot. I'm not sure the Brewers would be getting the full value of Hart at the leadoff spot though.

My dream would be for Suppan to be traded. I love your idea about obtaining Greinke, but it's gonna be costly (Fielder with another young pitcher coming our way). I'd rather trade Weeks than Hardy. Hardy, I'd like to give him a long term contract, move him to second and insert Escobar. The Crew are desperate for a high OBP, professional hitter who can be effective leading off. Last year's Rickie was okay with a .370OBP, but this year's Rickie doesn't cut it. I'd rather see CC and Sheeter leave than sign them to that kind of money, but the problem there is the Cubs. If they sign either the Crew will only be fighting for a wild card for the next 3 years as the Cubbies will have things pretty sewed up.

I'd also make a concerted effort to find a bullpen internally. It's time for Dillard and Stetter to stay. Next year will be a down year, so I say take a chance on Pena. Hopefully Omar turns a corner and comes up near the end of next season. The Brewers really do need some long term answers in the bullpen. This reinventing it nearly every year is time consuming and expensive. I love the Hardy/Branyan platoon and I hope it continues for another year. I move Gamel to first and keep Cameron. He's not going to lose his power and his defense is still plus although not elite.

I'd have to think about it but my everyday line up would look something like...

1. Hardy

2. Gamel

3. Braun

4. Hart

5. Branyan

6. Cameron

7. Escobar

8. Kendall

9. Pitcher

I'd make McClung Bush Greinke Gallardo and Parra my starters

Not a very good team on paper, but they'll never replace Sheeter and CC, so we're gonna take a hit next year anyways. I think we could come as high as 3rd, but probably 4th or 5th. I'm okay with that as long as the minor league system keeps churning out and developing players.

Included in my dream would be that 16th and 17th best teams sign CC and Sheets so we maximize our picks.

Another thought would be to release Cameron and and find a fast, lead-off lefthanded centerfielder (though I have no idea who I'm describing).

Another thought would be to release Cameron and and find a fast, lead-off lefthanded centerfielder (though I have no idea who I'm describing).

I don't want to start a big TG Jr. discussion here, but I'd like to point out that Rickie's OBP of .320 this year- though obviously not good, but out of line given his career numbers (a .349 career OBP)- is quite a bit better than Gwynn's Juann Pierre-like .302 OBP in 235 Major League ABs.

In regards to the original post, Greinke for Hardy and another player isn't going to get it done. One rumor this year said that the Blue Jays offered Burnett for Hardy. Grienke is worth a ton more than A.J. Burnett.

In regards to the original post, Greinke for Hardy and another player isn't going to get it done. One rumor this year said that the Blue Jays offered Burnett for Hardy. Grienke is worth a ton more than A.J. Burnett.

Hardy is also worth more than just Burnett who is as injury prone as Harden plus more expensive with a complicated option in terms of will he stay or go. I think that was wishful thinking by the Blue Jays and not really a serious offer at least I hope that wasn't a serious offer.

Hardy's value might be really high after this year. As much as I am thrilled by how he's playing and the numbers he might end the year with, the time in this coming off-season will be perfect to "sell high". It's great when you can get maximum value for a player. After the LaPorta trade, I think Prince stays at least for another year (as well as he should since we might be "selling low" if we trade him). Hardy plus a little something extra could well get us that borderline #1/#2 pitcher we'll need to pair with Yo and Parra and thus keep us in the thick of the playoff mix.

The fact Escobar is in waiting and more than capable means we need to dangle JJ if he can be the big piece of a deal to get us that #1/#2.

If you can get a Volquez type with huge upside for Hardy this off season then you have to make the move, imo. Although if Hardy keeps improving this year or maintains I'd rather try and move Escobar and maybe Hall for pitching.

I hope the Brewers swap Fielder for Shields straight up, both players are hitting arby, both will get similar money, both are controlled for at least 3 more years, and finally TB needs hitting for the AL east and the Brewers need pitching. Shields is replacable for TB because Price is moving up quickly through their system.

Fielder and Shields have exactly the same value, which is why I like this move, ohh and Shields has a very team friendly contract.

James Shields rhp
4 years/$11.25M (2008-11), plus 2012-14 club options

• signed extension 1/23/08
  • 08:$1M, 09:$1.5M, 10:$2.5M, 11:$4.25M, 12:$7M club option ($2M buyout), 13:$9M club option ($1.5M buyout), 14:$12M club option ($1M buyout)
  • value of 2012-14 club options may increase package to $38M
  • performance bonuses based on innings pitched, starts, and Cy Young voting may increase package to $44M
  • 1 year/$0.3949M (2007), re-signed 3/07
  • 1 year (2006), contract purchased 11/05
  • ML service: 1.125
edit. I should have removed the line about similar money, Prince is going to be more expensive. I forgot to remove it after I looked at Shield's contract.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I would not want Pat Burrell. The Brewers do not need another power hitter that strikes out over 100 times a year. If Prince is traded for a stud pitcher (like Matt Cain or Zack Greinke), you could see either Brad Nelson or Mat Gamel step in at first.

It will be interesting to see what the Brewers do with Cameron. Do they not pick up his option and release him? If they do that, do they give Tony Gwynn Jr. a shot in center? Do they make a trade for a center fielder like Coco Crisp? There is no one attractive in the free agent market at center field, so that is not a realistic option.

cut the Salary of Gagne/Cameron/Mota .. thats 19M. Trade Hall (5M?) Supan (6+M?), & Weeks for cash/reliever. Re-sign Sheets & Sabathia ( even if its for 2-3yr ). Bring up Gamel & Escobar(sp?). Keep Fielder until he absolutly has to go...

Sheets

Sabathia

Gallardo

Parra

Bush

Escobar - 2b

Hardy - ss

Braun - lf

Fielder - 1b

Gamel - rf

Branyon - 3b

Hart - cf ( have him here only due to the R/L/R/L/R middle of the order )

kendal -c

yes even though losing contracts of the above will net us prob 27+M to free up, if we can pull out just over 100M total its possible...

hey its my dream team next year... lemme dream http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I would not want Pat Burrell. The Brewers do not need another power hitter that strikes out over 100 times a year.

Yes but Burrell is not just another power hitter. Burrell currently has a .412 OBP the Brewers don't even have a player who is near a .400 OBP on the team. Hardy is the only player close to .400 OBP and he only has a .362 OBP. Burrell would be the OBP guy the Brewers are looking for. A lineup of Braun, Fielder, and Burrell would be intimidating.

I would not want Pat Burrell. The Brewers do not need another power hitter that strikes out over 100 times a year.

Yes but Burrell is not just another power hitter. Burrell currently has a .412 OBP the Brewers don't even have a player who is near a .400 OBP on the team. Hardy is the only player close to .400 OBP and he only has a .362 OBP. Burrell would be the OBP guy the Brewers are looking for. A lineup of Braun, Fielder, and Burrell would be intimidating.

Burrell is also on pace to strike out more than 130 times this season, and has never struck out less than 120 times. I agree the OBP would be nice, but get someone who doesn't strike out and can bat for a high average. Burrell has hit just north of .250 the last two years. Cameron can do that and play much better defense.

I would like to see us trade for David DeJesus, we will most likely use the buy-out on Cameron's contract, and I do not trust Iribarren, or Gwynn taking over in center, and I have not conceded to the fact that Gamel is bound for a corner outfield spot. DeJesus contract is very reasonable, at 3.6 million in 09, 4.7 in 2010, and a 6 million dollar option for 2011. DeJesus is a lefty bat that can get on base fairly regularly, and plays a pretty good center field. If we could somehow swing getting him without giving up J.J., or Escobar that would be awsome, esspecially if Gamel improves to the point where he can play a passable third base in the majors. The lineup would be very good on paper, with Weeks leading off, DeJesus, Braun, Fielder, Hart, Gamel, Hardy, Kendall, and the pitcher.

Fielder - 1b

Gamel - rf

Branyon - 3b

Hart - cf ( have him here only due to the R/L/R/L/R middle of the order )

huh? those are all lefties above him...

Also, if/when Escobar is in the bigs, he will be a SS. Stud defensively. Why move him off the most important position if he excels at it?

My dream would be to find two established, effective arms in the BP- one if not both LH. Riske and Torres are the type of players I'm talking about. Every ML bullpen will have problems from time to time, but I would love to get our BP as "set" as possible.

Unless a deal is WAY to good to pass up, I would not trade Escobar, Gamel, Hardy, Hart, Fielder, Gallardo, or Parra. Just about anyone else would be fair game.

Go get one #1/#2 type pitcher. Plenty of money to get one via FA or trade after loosing the Sheets/CC/Gagne/Cameron/Mota contracts.

Get an "emergency" 5th starter. Another arm who could be a legit #5 if needed.

A LH, lead-off hitting CF. Or 2nd if Weeks is traded.

I don't know WHO those players would be, my dream is a bit fuzzy yet.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Unless a deal is WAY to good to pass up, I would not trade Escobar, Gamel, Hardy, Hart, Fielder, Gallardo, or Parra. Just about anyone else would be fair game.

Did you forget to add Braun to that list, or would you trade him for the right pieces?

Chris

-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

My dream moves are highly unlikely...but I think they would help the team a lot.

Deal 1:

1B Prince Fielder to SF for RHP Matt Cain - prospects would be involved on both sides, I'm sure.

2B Rickie Weeks + OF Lorenzo Cain + RHP Amaury Rivas to BAL for 2B Brian Roberts + RHP Jim Johnson

Our starting lineup

C Jason Kendall

1B Mat Gamel/Brad Nelson

2B Brian Roberts

SS Alcides Escobar

3B J.J. Hardy

LF Ryan Braun

CF Mike Cameron

RF Corey Hart

Starting Rotation

RHP Yovani Gallardo

RHP Matt Cain

LHP Manny Parra

RHP Dave Bush

RHP Seth McClung/RHP Carlos Villanueva

Bullpen

LHP Mitch Stetter

LHP Brian Shouse

RHP Villanueva/RHP McClung

RHP David Riske

RHP Jim Johnson

RHP Luis Pena

CL Salomon Torres

Not to mention we just saved tons of money with that lineup...

Archived