Brewer Fanatic

Randy Choate outrighted to AAA Nashville

Aha. ESPN & USAToday have it wrong. They say he was just optioned. Checked the Brewers' site for verification. Can't get JSOnline to load for some weird reason.

Choate may be of some value at some point. But he's missed half the season & we don't need the 40-man space for him right now. It's not like it's worth it for anyone else to claim him.

I don't know that there would be any other immediate additions in the wind, but it can't hurt to have the open space.

Can someone remind me? Isn't outrighting when he gets sent down, but stays on the 40 man? vs DFA'd where he get's removed. I always have trouble remembering this.

Can we get outrighting added to the site FAQ?

if you're optioned, recalled or purchased, you are part of or become part of the 40-man roster.

if you're designated for assignment, the team has 10 days to trade, release or outright you to the minors. any of those decisions remove the player from the 40-man roster.

when you are outrighted, you are removed from the 40-man roster but remain in the organization (usually at triple-a level).

it should be noted that no either team opted to claim randy choate on waivers when the brewers tried to outright him.

Archived