Brewer Fanatic

Windows update/Internet connection

pitchleague

Has anybody else had issues with the latest Windows update that came out yesterday? Twice I have installed the update and then had to restore back to before I installed it as it completely shutdown my internet connection. No matter what I did on the firewall/router, it would not let me get on the web. The first time I thought it was another program having installed something malicious but after deleting that program, the internet problem happened again this morning after the update happened overnight.

Is there a way to prevent these updates from being installed? Thanks for any help.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

that is helpful, And That, IF I was looking for a new computer.

I'm using XP, for those that asked.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

yes, it did help. Thanks for the link.

I guess I'll make sure not to install any updates for a little while. darn you, MS.

- - - - - - - - -

I see Zonealarm Free is not on the list, though. Or is that Zone Alarm Basic Firewall?

just editing here: I've spent the last 2 hours re-setting my entire home network. After a good hour of the darn windows thing continually installing (even though I have the windows "option" to let me choose when to install them!), I set my zone alarm to medium only to find that the rolling monsoon storm and (very) short power outages completely reset my router! I had to find the data sheet and then re-enter it all and set up the network again. Not fun! Compounded with the windows thing, it has not been a fun internet day in my household.

Luckily, I think I've got it all working again. But the zone alarm is still set at only "medium" which does NOT please me at all. They better fix this! (I did download the Zone Alarm Basic Firewall from casey's link but haven't installed it yet. I'm hoping there will be an "easier" fix in the next couple of days.)

- - - - - - - - -

Zone Alarm Basic Firewall contains both the free and paid versions. When you install it, you're prompted to choose which one you'd like to use.

You're also given the option to run the paid version for 15 days. I think a fresh setup is a little bit easier if you choose this option. After 15 days, you'll be asked if you'd like to pay or revert to the free version.

When I install ZA, I usually opt for the paid version for 15 days. In this case, I installed over the earlier version and picked up previous settings, so I didn't bother with it.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I guess I'll make sure not to install any updates for a little while. darn you, MS.

Seeing as I had no problem with the updates and don't use ZoneAlarm, maybe the "darn you" should be directed ZA's way.

Zone Alarm was fine, then the MS update that came out on Tuesday broke it. I don't think you can blame Zone Alarm for that. Give them credit for immediately responding with a "fix" that accommodated the update, though.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Archived