Brewer Fanatic

Golfing in Wisconsin (A Smorgasboard Discussion)

lcbj68c
My brothers and I all ordered it. I just received my first magazine and card in the mail. Seems like an awesome deal even if I only do The Bull.

Lastly, I have played courses in Madison, Green Bay, Sheboygan, and Milwaukee. My favorite is still the Irish at Whistling. I played that over 20 times one summer (I worked there) and to me, it is still the funnest course I have played.

Even without a deal, you can get on at the Bull for a nice price. I played twilight there, with a cart, etc., for less than $50. And it was worth every penny -- a really nice course.

I have a former student who works at Whistling, and he got me onto the Straits course -- totally mind-blowing. (Even with all of the lost balls.) I spend a week in Cedar Grove/Oostburg every summer, and I'm hoping to get back this year to try the Irish.

Re: drivers, I found a used TaylorMade Burner for $50. It's HT (I think the loft is 12.5), which I think will help with control; it almost will play like a 3-wood, which I should be hitting off tee anyway.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i actually have a G-2, and love it. Best driver I've ever played. My opinion on taylor made drivers comes from two buddies who are managers of golf retail stores and the fact that Taylor made drivers are the most-used on tour.

razzzorsharp[/b]]Couple notes: I just switched to the NikeSumo5900 which came with a 5 wood (Sumo) for 180 shipped, brand new. I always try to be one year behind the times as there is a huge price drop.

Also, I just found out about this deal...

http://www.midwestgolfingmagazine.com/subscribe.cfm

My brothers and I all ordered it. I just received my first magazine and card in the mail. Seems like an awesome deal even if I only do The Bull.

Lastly, I have played courses in Madison, Green Bay, Sheboygan, and Milwaukee. My favorite is still the Irish at Whistling. I played that over 20 times one summer (I worked there) and to me, it is still the funnest course I have played.

Do you know if this offer either:

A) Requires that you pay cart fees? or,

B) Includes a cart?

I prefer to walk, but I know that some courses do not have that option. I'm also asking because I noticed on the "green card" promotion on that same web site (buy 1 get 1 free), that it requires that you pay for a cart in order to use the promotion.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I'm 27 and I've never owned a real "brand name" golf club. My driver is a stiff flex, built for high clubhead speed 400cc and I couldn't even tell you the brand. My irons are not from any of the top 6-7 golf club manufacturers. That said, I've shot probably 8-10 under par 18s in my life and usually hover around 6-8 hdcp for 18 holes.

So I guess what I'm trying to figure out is, will I see a large improvement in the quality of my shots due to buying a brand name club? I hit pretty long and pure most of the time but I do spray my driver a bit. I worry about the shape of my iron clubheads affecting what is already a solid game in the department.

lukevan, my philosophy in golf and bowling is that you get what you pay for. I've never seen a good golfer playing knock-offs, so you're the best I've ever heard of.

I've hit my friends' knockofss/off-brands, and found much better consistency with brand name clubs. At the same time, when I would mess around with the clubs of my girls' golf team (I coach), I found I hit their cheapo clubs alright. The big deal is they didn't have the right combination of weight, feel, sound, consistency, etc.

Thanks DHonks, I've figured what you've said here had to be true. I've had this set of irons for about 6-7 years so I guess familiarity has something to do with it. That and I've played so much golf in my life since the age of 4. But the grooves are basically shot and the face on my 4-iron is starting to cave in. I've wanted to take my game to the next level (namely becoming a scratch golfer) but have never been able to get over the hump. I'm hoping to get a nice set of quality clubs to see how far I can take my game.

If any of you are ever interested in golf in the Red Wing, MN area, PM me if you'd like a friendly outing.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, this is exactly a Wisconsin golf related topic...but I didn't wan't to start a new thread.

What is up with Tiger? I don't recall him ever being this big. Look at his arms. I noticed this during the Masters as well. This is a photo from this weeks event:

http://images.yuku.com/image/pjpeg/cb41549575fc901737b69d72b97b7ffbbfe724d.pjpg

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Archived