Brewer Fanatic

Suggestions please - good non-animated movies for kids

Patrick425
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They made a movie for How to Eat Fried Worms? Was it any good?

That was a childhood read of mine, maybe throw Indian in the Cupboard in there too then, I loved the books, the movie could work as a stand alone, but disappoints after reading the whole series

I think Bean would work really well too

I expect many updates as these movies are watched and how they were received too!

Again, thanks for all the suggestions. I guess it really sounds like I'm going to have to rent The Princess Bride, regardless of the title.

We have watched many of the sugestions already (just forgot to list them). I can't believe no one mentioned Back to the Future (or maybe they did and I just missed it). "Joe vs. the Volcano"...Yes, love that one, we did watch that one..and exactly the rare, off beat, quirky type of movie I enjoy watching with my son.

Some one mentioned Tommy Boy and Waynes World. I love those movies..but hmmmm...not sure. The hole hotel "New York Yankees" ..although I know when that scene comes and could be prepared...and Wayne's World? "Schwing!" I don't know.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I started a list in my head of movies that I thought would be acceptable for the young-uns, but then realized that they were all pretty rough. Fatherhood is pretty far off for me and I just realized I have absolutely no sensitivity.

Some one mentioned Tommy Boy and Waynes World. I love those movies..but hmmmm...not sure. The hole hotel "New York Yankees" ..although I know when that scene comes and could be prepared...and Wayne's World? "Schwing!" I don't know.

I have to admit that I had watched the movie about 15 times before I actually realized what was going on in this scene. I don't think a 10 year old would pick up on everything outside of a guy getting busted checking out a bikini-clad lady. Sinner!

-cut back on the quote to include just the relevant info. --pitchleague

The Indian in the Cupboard reminded me of two others, though I don't know why. The Borrowers and Stuart Little. Both have Hugh Laurie (House) as treacly sweet characters, which makes me appreciate his acting so much more.

Star Wars (all of them)

I'd like to just reiterate how exceedingly crucial these are, if you have any hope of him growing up to become a productive adult. This is the part where you'd expect me to say 'Only kidding!' You would be wrong. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Mel Brooks's movies, especially Spaceballs, were ones I loved as a kid & still do to this day. There's some racier stuff in all of them (it is Mel Brooks, after all).

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

My son really got into Star Wars about a year and a half ago. I think they had all of them back to back on Cinemax and I DVRed them and we would watch a different one each night. Prior to that he hated Star Wars. Not sure why..just did. I think one reason is because he went to a b-day party one year expecting tit o be goofy and run around and have fun typical kids party. However, it was a Star Wars themed B-Day and for most of the party they sat and watched Star Wars. I was never a huge Star Wars fan, but I enjoyed it when I was younger and it first came out. When I finally got him to sit down and watch it, he got hooked. He likes the older ones better than the newer episodes. It was Star Wars 24/7 for a few months at one point, but he has moved on now.

Around the same time he was getting into Star Wars, Spaceballs was on one of the chanels. He was in the other room. I was about to call him in, but then they started to get into some material that made me think twice about whether he was really old enough to watch it.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Prior to that he hated Star Wars. Not sure why..just did.

Clearly you have saved him from heading down the path to the dark side, wise Patrick-wan. The Jedi Council commends your courage & valor.

He likes the older ones better than the newer episodes.

The Force is strong with this one.

** I have to know -- in what order did he watch the films?

EDIT: Heh, brewtown, I'm listening to Matthews & Warren Haynes perform "Cortez the Killer" from The Central Park Concert... actually, I'll admit I'm listening to it for the second time in a row. LOVE this rendition -- Haynes on the guitar is just amazing.

Agreed, and it was the main reason for me, too, craig -- however since then I've heard nothing but A+++ reviews. I've heard (I have a lot of 'movie snob/buff' friends) everything from 'It's the best Pixar movie, hands down', to 'It's this generation's E.T.'

I can't wait to go see it now! Johnny 5 is alive http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

In the Star Wars vein, I really loved all the Ewok movies as a kid

Also, I don't think Ghostbusters has been mentioned and all the live action Muppet Movies - Great Muppet Caper is still my favorite of them all. There was also one called something like "Follow that Bird" with Big Bird in it which is also great.

When I was a kid, some of my favorite sports movies were Bad News Bears (the original ones, obviously), Mighty Ducks, and Little Giants. Maybe Remember The Titans, if you're ready to start talking about racism (yikes!).

I really liked Jurassic Park as a kid too. I suppose a few people get eaten by dinosaurs, but I remember going to see it with Dad in the theater.

Archived