Brewer Fanatic

Suggestions please - good non-animated movies for kids

Patrick425

I have a 10 year old son. Maybe some of you have the same issue, but it's hard to come up with appropriate non-animated movies that both he and my wife and I will enjoy. I don't mind a little swearing or a small amount of violence, but I tend to try stay away from films with overly sexual references or nudity. Comedies are always good or maybe a movie that might be inspirational or have some sort of "life lesson" involved in it. These are few of the films we have watched over the years as he has grown up (in random order)..any other suggestions would be nice.

Rudy

Rocky

Kicking and Screaming

Star Wars (all of them)

Blues Brothers (mostly the TV censored version - but he's getting old enough where the original version is ok, a few swears)

Indiana Jones

Ghost Busters

Big

Pursuit of Happyness

What about Bob

Field of Dreams

Sandlot

The Rookie

Rookie of the Year

Groundhog Day

Martian Child (I really liked this movie)

Dreamer

Cheaper by the Dozen

Men In Black

There are others that I'm forgetting, but you get the general idea of the types of movies I'm looking for. It gets harder and harder when I go into the video store to find a good family movie that's not too sappy or childish. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Miracle is a great suggestion.

Pirates of the Carribean: Curse of the Black Pearl (the only one I saw) and the first National Treasure movie would be good, too. Not sure of the ratings on either, though. Pretty much any of the watchable Star Trek movies should be good (just not 1 & 5, that come to mind).

Short Circuit movies.

The Princess Bride.

Any Harryhausen film.

Flight of the Navigator

Sky High

Pee Wee's Big Adventure

Project X

The Goonies

The Karate Kid

UHF

Whale Rider

MirrorMask

The Never Ending Story

Never Cry Wolf

both Gremlins films

The Last Starfighter

Also, the sooner you get him on the classics like Red Dawn and Iron Eagle the better more rounded adult he will be.

The Great Outdoors

The 'Burbs

Holes

Harriet the Spy

Dr. Doolittle (the Eddie Murphy ones)

City Slickers

Bill and Ted movies

Looney Tunes Back in Action (yeah, I know, it has animation, but alot of it is live action with humans)

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I tried renting "The Burbs" at Blockbuster last weekend, but they don't carry it.

I'm not a big Hockey fan, but "Miracle" does sound like a great suggestion. I'm definitly going to look into that one.

Someone else mentioned "The Princess Bride" to me, but I can just see the look on my son's face when I mention the title. It really sounds like a girls film..is it? We took him to see Enchanted at the theaters..he hated it. UHF crossed my mind a couple of months ago and I forgot about it.

I'm not much of a SciFi/Fantasy fan. My son has been reading the Harry Potter books over the past 6 or 7 months. I like to see him reading as much as he does with those books, but then, of course, we have to rent and see the film. I just can't get into those movies.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Another one crossed my mind: the Hornblower series from A&E. It's out on video. If he likes them, you could even encourage him to read the books which are much better. Even my wife liked the movies.

As far as Princess Bride goes, just tell him that Andre the Giant is in it. That and rattle off "Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die." And if that's not enough, just have him watch through the opening parts with Savage and Falk.

Flight of the Navigator brings back great memories - "Compliance."

Someone else mentioned "The Princess Bride" to me, but I can just see the look on my son's face when I mention the title. It really sounds like a girls film..is it? We took him to see Enchanted at the theaters..he hated it.

The Grandson: A book?

Grandpa: That's right. When I was your age, television was called books. And this is a special book. It was the book my father used to read to me when I was sick, and I used to read it to your father. And today I'm gonna read it to you.

The Grandson: Has it got any sports in it?

Grandpa: Are you kidding? Fencing, fighting, torture, revenge, giants, monsters, chases, escapes, true love, miracles...

The Grandson: Doesn't sound too bad. I'll try to stay awake.

Grandpa: Oh, well, thank you very much, very nice of you. Your vote of confidence is overwhelming.

While I love The Burbs, it might be a bit scary for a 10 year old. Plus I don't think a 10 year old would get many of the jokes.

Labyrinth is a great suggestion, as are any of the Jim Henson/Muppet films like Dark Crystal or the first three Muppet movies.

Who Framed Roger Rabbit? is probably another good choice as well.

While I love The Burbs, it might be a bit scary for a 10 year old. Plus I don't think a 10 year old would get many of the jokes.

The Burbs isn't any scarier than Ghostbusters or even Harry Potter. My son has a pretty mature sense of humor for his age.

The Princess Bride, no questions asked, just don't tell him the title

Could be one of my favorite movies growing up, and still is, could be one of the most timeless movies

Others that I haven't seen mentioned but strongly recomend:

Brewster's Millions - it has baseball, and I literally spent hours awake at night as a child thinking about what I would do if I had to spend $30,000,000 in a month

*edit* Merlin - This was a made for TV 2 parter made in 1998, It was really fantastic when I was 13/14, I am sure it work at 10 as well. I don't know how easy to find it will be though. Here is the IMDB link : Merlin

Lord of the Rings?

Big Mama's House (No idea why, but my kids ove that movie)

Great Outdoors

Vacation (the original)

Big Green

Home Alone series

Uncle Buck

Plains, Trains, & Automobiles (minus the rental car ticket counter scene

Pulp Fiction

Summer Rental

I like Jumjanji and Hook. Beverly Hill Ninja would be good for a few laughs, (not a great movie, but probably genius for a 10 year old. My favorite two movies at that age were Three Amigos and My Blue Heaven.

I'd guess that I watched Home Alone all the way through 40 times between the ages of 5 and 10. Jumanji was really entertaining when I was around his age too so that might be a good suggestion. How about Little Rascals? (I'm not sure if this should be in blue or not).

Archived