Brewer Fanatic

Yahoo! suggests pre-September callup for Gamel

Yahoo! suggests pre-September callup for Gamel

Defensive woes have plagued Gamel throughout his young career, as his 23 errors in 89 games with the Stars this season attest. Assistant GM Gordy Ash told MiLB.com in mid-June that because of his suspect glove the current plan is to "let him stay at Double-A … the Southern League, is a very solid pitching league, and we're probably going to leave him there and let him have an outstanding year there - let him dominate."

However, Milwaukee's commitment to winning implies that a pre-September call-up is not only possible, but likely.

I doubt that - where would he play?

A pre-september callup would seem a bit foolish. Not only is his defensive versatility limited, but it would also start his arby-clock early. I think a September call-up is entirely possible, though.

His arb clock isn't really an issue at this point. He's cleared both deadlines (extra year of team control & Super-2 status) already this year.

His arb clock isn't really an issue at this point. He's cleared both deadlines (extra year of team control & Super-2 status) already this year.

But considering that he's likely to spend at least some time in the minors next year, they could delay it ANOTHER year by calling him up next May ala Braun if they'd like.

That said, one major bonus to calling him up August 31 is that he could be on the playoff roster if they wanted another lefty stick with some pop off the bench.

I assume that if you are in the organization come August 31 you are eliagble for the playoff roster. Drew Olson said the day of the Sabathia trade that if the Brewers don't go after a left handed bat for the bench at the deadline you will probably see Gamel come up to fill that role at the end of the season. I have no issue in letting him play out the minor league string and then letting him come up and be our main left handed bat behind 3TO.

But considering that he's likely to spend at least some time in the minors next year, they could delay it ANOTHER year by calling him up next May ala Braun if they'd like.

That said, one major bonus to calling him up August 31 is that he could be on the playoff roster if they wanted another lefty stick with some pop off the bench.

Right, but Brian said "pre-September callup", so I was just pointing out that there's not much difference in calling him up now and after rosters expand.

I'd wait til September on him if it means we'd control him for an extra year. You guys know more about arby than i do. It's my hope he can stick at 3b and even be our guy there next year (especially if we lose CC and Ben). I have a hard time thinking Ned is going to use him enough to make it worth while even if he's brought up in August.

Archived