Brewer Fanatic

Spring Training 2009

ewizabeff
This may be way too early, but between 2007 and 2008 I learned that if you make your plans early, the trip is much, much cheaper.

I'll be heading down to Phoenix with my dad the week of March 8. This is the earliest I've ever gone, but it corresponds with Marquette's spring break (can't miss much in grad school), and will give me a chance to see more prospects - which will be great since I'm actually learning about them now.

In 2007 we stayed in a hotel, and in 2008 we rented a condo. I'm thinking in 2009 I want to rent a house, either in Glendale or Scottsdale. This is way cheaper, makes for easy tailgate preparation, and cuts down on food costs because you can cook (or even just eat cereal).

Is anyone else thinking about going to Phoenix that same time? Any tips, ideas? I'm sort of toying with the idea of getting a group of people together so I can have more fun at night. My dad is awesome to watch baseball with, but he's an old man and goes to bed around 8:00. I'm going to see if some of my friends want to go, but not many of them are excited about a vacation that revolves around baseball. So, if there are BF.netters that will be down there at the same time, maybe we could tailgate, go out, etc.

Just thought I'd throw it out there, see if anyone wants to take their mind off the Mota disaster this evening and think of sunny Phoenix in March.

This may be way too early, but between 2007 and 2008 I learned that if you make your plans early, the trip is much, much cheaper.

I'll be heading down to Phoenix with my dad the week of March 8. This is the earliest I've ever gone

My wife, my son, and I have gone down to Spring Training for the last 6 years and yes, if you can book earlier you can save some money (especially if you book a hotel/flight package on expedia, orbits, travelocity..etc). We usually stay at a resort near the south mountain range. Not nearly as nice as Scottsdale, but we like what we get for the price we pay.

We also usually go either the 1st or 2nd week of March for a couple of reasons. A. I'm not a big fan of crowds and it's usually less crowded at that time and B. We are usually so sick of winter by the first week in January, there is no way we can wait until the end of March to get away. Also, the players seem more accesible during the first few weeks because of the smaller crowds.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I've never been and to start this season I told the boyfriend I want to go next year. I know next to nothing and need to do a whole lot of research. Liz, if you can give anything in terms of where to look for housing/condos/etc for rent, please pass it along. Money's always an issue, so I have to save in advance and if we can know a starting point, I'd love it. Thanks!

I will be going to quite a few ST games as I live in Glendale. That being said, renting a house in Snottsdale is going to be $$$$ and really not worth it. Perhaps I am just biased but SDL is way overhyped and too "fake" of a city for me. That being said, you could probably find something over in Peoria or Glendale for a decent rate. If you didnt mind being a little farther out, Avondale or Goodyear may be even cheaper, and still not a long drive over to Maryvale or any of the other parks on the west side of phoenix. As far as night life goes...it really depends on what you enjoy. If you like the college scene (ASU), Mill Ave in Tempe is worth checking out. I have sort of grown out of that phase and prefer smaller hole in the wall type places now. Most places arent overly horrible, but there are certain places to avoid (namely most of the bars/clubs in Central/South Phoenix). You may even want to check out craigslist and see if people would have houses/rooms to rent out.
Formerly AirShuttle6104

If you like the college scene (ASU), Mill Ave in Tempe is worth checking out.
We always take one night to venture down there and eat. Just be careful of all the birds (you might want to take an umbrella!!).

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

After a one year hiatus I'll probably be heading down there with my old man to complete our annual pilgrimage. I share your frustrations of night-time boredom while in AZ. My Dad also goes to bed super early and leaves me wondering around the hotel alone until the wee hours of the morning.

Tristarscoop,

Last year I rented a condo using www.homeaway.com. It's a listing service that allows you to view amenities, photos, and available dates of properties, but then you contact the owner of the condo directly. I got a 2-bedroom condo in Mesa for $600/week, which I thought was great. Some people tell me I wasn't in the best part of town, but it was a private condo complex and I felt completely safe. The condo could have slept up to 6 (2 queen beds and 1 air mattress) which would have been a super great deal! Even with just the three of us, I was happy to have a place to stay for $200/week.

My Dad also goes to bed super early and leaves me wondering around the hotel alone until the wee hours of the morning.

I watched so many episodes of Law & Order the first year I was there! I'd love to find more people in your/my situation that are heading down at the same time and perhaps arrange some evening get togethers.

Just for fun I just checked flights from MKE-PHX on Saturdays in March. $300. I wouldn't expect it to go down any lower than $200, and to get a lot higher once Jan/Feb comes.

The wife and I just booked our flight today! I can't wait, and the best part of it is it was her idea. I have no idea where we're staying but I'm guessing in the Phoenix area. We're heading out March 11 and staying until March 18. Definitely need to do more research on the nightlife. I'm for sure not the club kind of guy, but would love to find some bars and venues that have bands.

One thing I forgot. I believe they are doing the World Basbeball Classic again next year. So, if you go early, you may not see some of the bigger stars that are playing in the Classic. A few years ago, we went down early and Carlos Lee was not at any of the games because of the classic.

However, last time, they did play some games at Chase field..but I don't go down there to watch non-brewer games in a big stadium.

One thing I forgot. I believe they are doing the World Basbeball Classic again next year. So, if you go early, you may not see some of the bigger stars that are playing in the Classic. A few years ago, we went down early and Carlos Lee was not at any of the games because of the classic.
Good point. Looks like it starts March 5.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080323&content_id=2452760&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

ewizabeff,

congrats on being a baseball junky. There needs to be more women that are diehards.

I live in Scottsdale and I find that my favorite time to go to games is the first week or so, because the prospects get to play a lot and the crowds aren't insane. I'm a teacher, so I love taking my spring break and going to a couple of games. My favorite parks to watch games are in Peoria and Surprise. The Tempe and Scottsdale ones are nice. Phoenix is by the zoo and is easy to get to, but it doesn't have lawn seats like the others (when you go to games alone, you don't feel as lonely when sitting on the lawn).

It must be a thrill for your dad. I know I can't wait to take my niece to games when she's old enough, and I've already been told by her mom that I'm to teach her baseball, softball, and golf. Soccer and hoops are up to her dad.

So in summing up my points, you sound like you want to see the kids play a lot, and that's most likely early in spring because the starters will be playing 3 innings then sitting. That means you'll see some of Brantley, Salome, Gamel, etc. It's fun to see the kids before hitting the majors.

Looks like the US's first round games are March 8-12, right when I'll be in Phoenix. That doesn't worry me too much - it's just one US team, so there likely wouldn't be more than a couple Brewers on it. Plus, I go to every game at Miller Park, so I see the big name players all the time - Phoenix is a good time for me to see prospects, but of course I don't mind having fairly easy access to the major leaguers. Of course, it's Phoenix, so I probably wouldn't mind who I was watching as long as I was watching a baseball game in 70+ weather in March while there's likely a blizzard in Milwaukee.

DHonks, too bad for my dad he had to wait till his daughter was in her 20's till she could pull off a baseball vacation http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif He got to ump me and my little brother in little league though, so I guess that's not so bad.

Well remember many major leaguers play for internatinoal teams.

Like Carlos played for Panama.

I'd say Villanueva and Gallardo have a shot at making their teams. Even Gagne for Canada. (Even though he won't be with us next year, thank god)

• 1 month later...

Thought I would stick this hear, since it relates to my planning for going to ST next year.

Generally the MLB season starts on a Monday (other than the one Sunday night game). When do you think next year's season will start? March 30th or April 6th? I'm guessing March 30th, but I wanted to get other's opinions. The reason this effects my ST plans is that if the regular season starts April 6th, I'm wondering if ST games won't start until March 5th (they usually start around the last Thursday in February). My plan is to go to AZ Feb 28th to March 6th. I don't want to go at that time if games will not be played until March 5th. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Another source for house/condo rentals - http://www.vrbo.com. Vacation Rentals By Owner - you can select all the way down to the neighborhood and see all of the amenities, and most listings have a calendar for availability.

I will be going to ST this year, since I have missed it all three years I have been in CA because of work or other vacations planned. I will probably be spending most of my time though in Tucson since my aunt and uncle live there. You have a good idea; considering a decent hotel will run at least $150/night, if you can get 4-5 people in a condo for $600/week it is worth it. I would be up for sharing the condo, but would only be in there for a night or two.

Archived