Brewer Fanatic

Who's Your Organizational Pitcher of the Year on July 9th?

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Some Brewer farmhands have posted fantastic seasons to win the Organizational Pitcher of the Year honor in recent years -- Tim Dillard, Yovani Gallardo, Manny Parra -- even Ben Hendrickson's award was well-deserved at the time.

This season, the two strongest pitchers have been soon-to-be 27-year-old LHP Sam Narron and 31-year-old fellow southpaw Lindsay Gulin.

Will your year-end winner be Evan Anundesn? Alex Periard?

Who is your winner today? And predicted winner at year-end? And does the discussion indicate an overall down year on the farmhand mound?

To help you out, here's the Brewerfan Player Index. Click on the POS colun to sort by position -- look at those indicated as "CL", "MR", or "SP".

Edit: I had listed Sam Narron as 28, should be 27...

Jacob Odorizzi

Great topic, and one that is a bit of a downer, really. It emphasizes the point that the pitching in AAA and AA isn't all that great as far as "upside", but maybe there are 3 or 4 rotation-fillers in this group. The exciting pitchers are all in A and rookie ball - here's hoping that Lintz, Odorizzi and Frederickson are the real deal.

I dont' see how this topic is downer, there are so many quality arms to follow. While no one has been Yo or Inman type dominant, there have been some very solid seasons, and some of the younger guys are holding their own while they figure it out. I'm not ready to close the book on guys like Seidel, and even Tyson while he gives up way too many hits, his K to BB ratio has been outstanding all year.

To answer the question... Chris Cody, Mike Ramlow, or Donovan Hand would be my best guess. Hand will settle in at AA, Cody and Ramlow have put up nice numbers all year.

Next year should be interesting, lots of very intriguing arms in the system.

Excluding this year's draftees and Scarpetta; Rivas, Seidel, Anundsen, and Ramlow will be in A+. Cody, Jeffress, Braddock, and Periard should join Hand in AA as starters... Bramhall, Baron, and Wahpepah should be in AA as relievers as well. Hammand, Wright, and Welch will probably be in AAA. Ryan will probably get bumped to AAA, but I'm unsure what will happen with Aguilar, and if Pena doesn't make the 25 man out of ST next year I'll be very disappointed. Narron, Ungs, and DiFelice... I'm not going to even attempt to predict what will happen with these 3.

When you toss in this year's draftees, Scarpetta, and dare I say Rogers... there should 3-4 pitchers that I'm very interested in following pitching every day of the week, it will be a fun minor league season.

I'll call my shot for next year... Bowman will be the Minor League Pitcher of the Year.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

There are definitely plenty of quality arms, it's just that for the first time in a long while, nobody's really putting up Yovani type numbers. Maybe we were all just spoiled with Yo, Manny, and the like the last few years.

Right now I'd probably say Anundsen, but my guess (and hope) is that Jeffress will lower his ERA down to the mid 3's or so by years end and steal the award.

i know he has missed the beginning of the season, but hasn't jeffress been the most dominant pitcher in the organization?

If he could pitch 4 innings or less every time yes... for whatever reason he really struggles that 3rd time through the order. I'm not sure why... fatigue, nibbling... no idea. I do know that he puts crazy lines with 10 Ks and 5 ER in 5 IP around his starts where pitches shutouts.

The Crew sure does have some young pitchers that are statistical anomolies this year. Tyson with his K to BB ratio but a zillion hits againt, Jeffress striking out 3/4 of the batters he faces and still giving up crooked numbers... just plain weird happenings.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Anundsen could be a Webb-type that explodes once he gets nicer field conditions or better defenders behind him with that K ratio along with sick ground ball numbers. If he's not the pitcher of the year this year, he very well could be farther down the line.

I do find it depressing that we don't have a better answer.

I think Jeffress is obviously the most talented pitcher - but hard to choose someone with a 4.78 ERA.

Too bad Aguilar got promoted - he would have had it locked up!

Chris Cody has been solid all season. Alex Periard has really turned it up lately after a slow start. Evan Anundsen with that ground ball ratio has to be considered as well. I would go with Luis Pena though. After getting roughed up early he has worked that ERA back down into the mid to low 3's and is in position to replace Mota.

Archived