Brewer Fanatic

Heyman of SI.com suggests George Sherrill

George Sherrill, Orioles closer. He's proving that he can handle closing duties. A logical choice for the Brewers, who still have prospects to move. Chad Bradford and Jamie Walker are other relievers for Baltimore to dangle. Odds for a deal: 4-1.

I think he is in his first year of Arbitration - so we would have him for a few years.

Interesting idea.

Sherrill is an interesting guy. In the independent leagues until 26. He would obviously be an improvement over Mota, but so is DeFelice. In his career he has allowed a .370 OBP to righties, that's not really good. I think the fact that he is under control makes him attractive to keep and too expensive to get for the value he brings. He obviously had a very good year last year, but his career ERA+ is only 118 and just 112 this year.

This would be a great acquisition and well worth a Salome or similar type player. George is a workhorse. He's one of those guys who slipped through the cracks and developed some bad habits along the way like showing up in independant ball out of shape and a several pack a day smoking habit. After his pitching coach in Winnipeg sat him down and told him to shape up or he was going to be cut but at the same time that he was one of the most talented guys in the league he began an amazing transformation and was in the Majors relatively quickly after that.

Lets face reality. Our Achilles heel is our bullpen and it needs a fairly extensive overall in order to make it anywhere in the postseason.

no way I would trade one of our AA studs for Sherrill. His WHIP is not all that attractive and he's been pretty rough as of late. He'd be an upgrade over Mota, but I could easily see him turning into a left handed Turnbow.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

For what it would take to trade for Sherrill, who probably won't ever have a higher value than where he's at right now, no way - He wouldn't be any more valuable to the Brewers than Linebrink was last season. I think some in-house options (Pena, extra starter once Suppan's back) need to be explored before overpaying for a reliever.

Sherrill has a high ERA and too many walks for a late guy in my opinion...JWalker would have been useful, but his elbow is on the DL now.

If you are going to trade for a lefty that walks some guys then go get Byrdak in HOU and while you are there, pick up Loretta and Erstad...Lo might not be better at 2b, but I always liked him...

In-house options might be better and one guy certainly walks less (DeFelice)...

Julian Tavarez in MIL- ERA8.59 WHIP2.45 BAA.371

Craig Breslow in MIN- ERA1.46 WHIP0.89 BAA.146

Joe Nelson in FLA- ERA1.71 WHIP1.24 BAA.207

Sherrill blew another save last night, which brings him to 3 or so in his last 10 games. For what it would take to get him, no thanks. He really had one good year last year and this year is looking to be more and more like Turnbow-lite.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

Archived