Brewer Fanatic

Should we try to sign Kenny Lofton?

We are looking for a lefty bat, and are rumored to be looking at Ray Durham. How about Kenny Lofton instead, he is fresh, wouldn't cost us any prospects, and is a proven winner. He could steal some AB's from Cameron against rightys, play both corners, and be a valuable pinch hitter/runner off the bench. Do you think he could accept this role?

Brian the Automator wrote:

My other question would be, how do you remove from the 25-man to make room for him?

I would think it would have be Dillon and I'm not sure I like that idea.

Durham makes way way more sense.

He'd replace Dillon on the roster. He'd likely start vs righties over Weeks. This is a move IMO that must be made. The likely hood of finding someone better is not high. Either way we need a 2nd basemen or 3rd basemen that can lead off and hit right handed pitching.

I'm thinking that any moves the Brewers make to acquire players outside of their organization should be for pitching - they have a pretty solid position player lineup and bench going right now, and I'm not sure they'd be able to acquire an upgrade anywhere unless they gave up ML talent on the other end of a trade, weakening them somewhere else. Also, some of their minor league players may be able to step in and play some roles in September when the rosters expand.

I wouldn't mind picking up Durham to play so 2b in place of Weeks, but where did you guys see that we are interested in him? Also, I am wondering what we would have to give up for him. I wouldn't think that it would be much, although I don't know what his contract looks like.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

I wouldn't mind picking up Durham to play so 2b in place of Weeks, but where did you guys see that we are interested in him? Also, I am wondering what we would have to give up for him. I wouldn't think that it would be much, although I don't know what his contract looks like.

There's already a Ray Durham thread here.

If you pick up Durham and play him against righthanded pitchers you absolutely destroy any value that Rickie has on the market. An old, broken down player replaces the second pick in the draft? That's called throwing in towel. Needless to say you'll totally alienate Rickie, which could create real problems in the dugout. No, if you're gonna do something drastic at 2nd base it's better to deal Rickie I think, which is also going to disrupt the clubhouse. I dunno. I say keep him as the starter and make Durham a pinch hitter and give him one start a week.

Archived