Brewer Fanatic

Harden v Sheets

Tbadder - I guess I disagree with your reasons of why the Crew might make the playoffs. I think it has very little to do with how the Cubs perform, outside of our 10 head to head matchup games, and more about how the Brewers play. If the Crew plays up to their full potential, we'll be there regardless of what the Cubs do. I think the Cubs are good enough to make the playoffs. If we do overtake them, it will be because we play that well, not so much a huge collapse by the Cubs. That would put the Cubs in the wild card at least.

It's tough for me to see both the Phils and the Mets getting on an epic roll...one of them might win 92+, but I doubt both will. That puts the wild card at a minimum in reach if we play well.

I just can't see the Brewers playing better than the Cardinals, so Wildcard or not 3rd in the division isn't gonna make it. Hope I'm wrong, but I can't see a Tony LaRussa club finishing in back of the Crew when it matters. I still have the Crew winning 90 games, but that seems pretty generous given how bad our bullpen is, and what a rotten OBP we are. If we make the playoffs it's gotta be on the back of our starters and that means Bush and Parra pitching near their best.

Honestly, moreso than Parra or Bush, if we make the playoffs, it's going to be because Prince Fielder is our MVP. Thus far, he's regressed to the projection from his rookie year. Hardy's already caught fire, while Prince has just shown small sparks of what he's capable of doing. But, like TBad said, if we are going to continue our journey to the Land of '82, we're going to need Braun to up his OBP (I'm probably in the minority, but I would rather have 05-07 Burrell than 08 Braun). As for Sheets v. Harden, how can anybody argue that Sheets isn't more of a workhorse? His 2004 season was the type of season his fairest comp, Curt Schilling, dreams of. Perhaps, in talent, it is a toss-up, though I'd still take Sheets, as he walks fewer and goes longer, while Harden's main redeeming quality in the comp is the fact that he is more of a cerebral pitcher, getting more from...well he still has an overwhelming arsenal, just not "best curve in baseball with a 94-97mph fastball"-good. Still, when I heard the Cubs acquired Harden, I actually envied Cubby fans, which hasn't happened since Prior's '03 season (I'm one of the biggest SC fans in Wisconsin). Harden v. Sheets? Give me a Sheeter Ben to a Harden Rich any day.

Would you want Sheets pitching past the 6th inning with a 7-0 lead? Didn't think so. Innings won't be a bigger issue than it already was before with Gallagher in the rotation. Harden is very efficient.

Harden had 96 pitches when he left the game with 1 out in the 6th. That's not exactly efficient.

• 2 weeks later...
At least Sheets can go past the 6th inning on a consistent basis.

Would you want Sheets pitching past the 6th inning with a 7-0 lead? Didn't think so. Innings won't be a bigger issue than it already was before with Gallagher in the rotation. Harden is very efficient.

1-2 with Harden. Efficient pitchers get you 6-7 innings w/o overusing the BP.

Archived