Brewer Fanatic

Putting without looking at the ball?

RU Rah Rah

So I am a mediocre golfer -- maybe a 10 handicap. It's not like any one part of my game is great, but my putting is just rotten; I three-putt way too often, usually after leaving lag putts shorts.

Searching for answers, I read this Golf magazine article about how it's actually more effective to line up your putt and then keep your eye on the hole throughout your entire stroke. It seems weird, but they tested amateurs and found that, on average, they put the ball 25% closer to the hole.

I had intended to practice this technique a bit before actually trying it out on the course, but I didn't have time before my round today. So I figured I would give it a shot; I couldn't imagine that I would putt worse than I have been this year.

The results were surprisingly good. With basically no practice at it, I had zero three-putts in nine holes. (I probably saved 3 strokes overall.) It felt extremely weird, and I was sure that I would whiff or knock the ball off the green, but nothing bad happened. I even sank several 4-5 footers.

Just thought I would share the tip...

i consider myself a good putter, but i'm curious enough to try it on the next practice green i am on. cool stuff, thanks

and for anyone who cares, i became a good putter by doing 2 things, every single time. First, for any putt outside of my peripheral vision when i am looking at the ball, i pick out a spot or 2 on the green about 2 feet away from my ball that i want to roll the ball over. once i see what that target is, i no longer need to worry about when i am aiming. i can solely concentrate on the distance. 3 or 5 continuous practice strokes while i am figuring out how hard to hit the ball and i'm ready to go.

then step up, find my target spot(s) on the green, and putt away.

I consider myself a good putter. However, I'll be honest, most times I am focused on NOT 3-putting. I usually concentrate solely on distance and speed and making sure that I keep it close. 100% of the time. I often times, don't go for it, so to speak. I usually don't leave putts short, nor really long, but will miss right or left with an easy tap-in.

There is a guy I golf with that has always putted while looking at the hole. He's a very good golfer, about a 4 or 5 handicap.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I've messed with this before. You pick a general line, line up the putt and then just focus on the hole. The theory is that most amateur/weekend golfers struggle more with the speed. This kind of takes your brain (which gets in the way alot in golf) out of it and allows you to just roll the ball the correct distance. I think you'll be surprised how much it helps your speed on 25+ foot putts.

This kind of takes your brain (which gets in the way alot in golf) out of it and allows you to just roll the ball the correct distance.

Yeah, that's pretty much it, in a nutshell. I think way too much about the lag putts, instead of just smacking them.

I have had much success with the same tactic I use when playing pool/billiards: Just step up and hit it. Don't think about it. I do SO much better if I use my initial instincts and just step up to the ball and putt it. More often than not, I put it in the hole or within a foot.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Yikes! When did a 10-handicap make you a "mediocre" golfer?

I'd kill to shoot in the low 80's and I consider myself pretty mediocre.

But I'll try out the putting tip and maybe I'll shave a few strokes...but then again, it's not gonna help keep me on the fairway off the tee, which tends to be the bigger problem.

Works for Cameron, Hall, and Weeks. Just stare at the LF foul pole and swing away!

and, at the same time, it doesn't work. Man, I'm sick of their methods at the plate.

On topic, I wonder if this method would work on the putt-putt course. I would imagine not, what with all the stuff between the ball and the hole.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Archived