Brewer Fanatic

08/22/2006 - Rockies (Cook) @ Brewers (Capuano) 7:05pm CDT

sgtcluels
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

How can a guy like Turnbow be virtually unhittable and then a half a season later he stinks? His "stuff" is still there. What is it? I can't figure the guy out.

This is what Powell, Yost, and Maddux have all combined to say, but not in so many words........

Turnbow's fastball is straight as an arrow. If a big league hitter knows it's coming, he can hit it, no matter how hard it's coming in.

Because batters have figured out that he *can't* throw his curveball for a strike, they wait for that juicy fastball, and when they get it, they hammer it. Until/if he ever figures out how to throw his curve/slider somewhat consistently for a strike, batters will just take til they get 2 strikes, and sit fastball.

Turnbow is hearing voices in his head. I think he is a bit afraid of pitching. He just may not have the closer mentality. I think that hitters have begun to work the count more against him now. I can't believe that Matt Holliday hit a 97 mph fastball up in the zone out of the park. I think that the radar gun is on steroids., I don't think that he is throwing as hard as he was. It should be pointed out that another ump may have rung up Holliday and Torrealba (I know, it is a stretch) and then we would be talking about Derrick's great outing. Closers tend to have 9 lives. Turnbow may still have value down the road. For now, I am not sure what his role is.

maybe his role should be set-up set-up guy. before jose c. comes in, scare the crap out of people with the missing hanson brother (turnbow) for one inning. give him the slapshot glasses and all, may as well...

go brewers. can we please take this and every series from here on out? thanks.

Don't hold your breath though, we DO have David Bell manning 3rd everyday for us now, you know.

I've had less of a problem with the guy since I've seen him play with the Crew. He's NOT someone you'd build around, but would be a nice, complimentary part. He plays the game harder than just about everyone (with a mean streak that this team lacks), is a very, very nice defender, and is someone I think you'd generally want on your side. I know that sounds like fluff to stat-heads, but for the right price I'd bring him back next year. A Koskie/Bell platoon would actually be pretty nice, allowing Hall to roam the OF a little more whilst splitting time wherever.

If Bell would sign for around $4 mil for the next 2 years, I'd consider it.

unsure about this since I'm just using my baseball memory, but doesn't Bell have a history of an every-other-year sucks vs LHP/Lights up LHP? I seem to remember him having a couple seasons of well over .300 vs LHP (maybe one year over .400?) but then in between a season of something like .180 vs LHP.

Does that mean next year would be his good year? Not we need another 3B that hits LHP really well.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Bell is 34 years old and has this career batting line:

.256 /.319 /.394 /.713

No amount of barrel rolls into 3B makes up for that. With both Hall and Hardy needing find time in the infield next year, there's no need for a guy like Bell to be on the team. Hardy is probably the superior offensive guy and Hall can at least match Bell's defense at 3B.

It should be pointed out that another ump may have rung up Holliday and Torrealba (I know, it is a stretch) and then we would be talking about Derrick's great outing.

From our vantage point in section 322 tonight, we and our section mates were convinced that the umpire missed, or chose not to call, strike three on Torrealba. Maybe a payback call for when Yorvit was arguing an earlier called strike 3? I don't know; we didn't have access to a replay and maybe those of you who did saw otherwise.

I had no problem with Ned giving Turnbow a chance in this situation - as long as his hook was short; and I think he was replaced at the right time. I think Geoff merited the boos he got more than Derrick.

I saw it in person, but I still don't know how Starter Cappy got out of that 4th inning jam. As Peavey would say, man alive.

Nice outing, for the most part. Crowd was not huge (at least compared to recent games) but was into the game. Terrific weather. I'm going to miss this after about five weeks.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

From our vantage point in section 322 tonight, we and our section mates were convinced that the umpire missed, or chose not to call, strike three on Torrealba. Maybe a payback call for when Yorvit was arguing an earlier called strike 3? I don't know; we didn't have access to a replay and maybe those of you who did saw otherwise.

To me, it was a strike all the way. Perfect, tight-breaking slider that caught the inside corner.

Archived