Brewer Fanatic

Cubs acquire Rich Harden and Chad Gaudin for Gallagher, Patterson, Murton and Donaldson

trwi7
  • Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Cubs also have Harden for next year too. This was a good deal for them, but boy did it take away their OF depth. If Soriano, Edmonds, or Fukudome go down they are left with who Pie again? Obviously they have some resources to trade again but I got to think this is their last deal other than maybe for OF depth. They don't have much left that is expendable, maybe Marshall.

At first glance it certianly seems like the Cubs won this trade going away. Seems like Beane really undervalued Harden because of his injury history. If Harden stays healthy that is a damn good rotation, but if he doesn't they really don't have a good alternative to go through.

The rest of this season is going to be a fun one to watch, the NL Central is going for broke, what are the Cardinals going to do now? Or the Mets for that matter? The two top pitchers are now gone, what can these other NL teams do to catch the Cubs and Brewers? Not a whole lot IMO, unless Burnett counts

You could also look at it as they got to keep most of their prospects. As they basically gave away bench players. Steal for the Cubs, imo. The option is what really makes this a big kicker here. If he stays healthy for this year and next, they are going to be tough.

This makes so upset it's kind of embarrassing. I don't think it's an unfair deal or anything, but I was in such a good mood, about to go see C.C. pitch tonight, and this completely deflates me.

I always dismissed any Harden rumors that involved the Cubs sending Gallagher, because it seemed like they'd be taking one step back in order to take two steps forward -- Harden would be replacing Gallagher in the rotation in that scenario, and not Jason Marquis, who's the one that needs to be replaced. Also getting Gaudin back in return not only provides injury insurance for Harden, but also bumps Marquis out of the rotation -- two birds with one stone.

Good trade for the Cubs. I always kind of thought the A's would make a run at Matt Murton one day, with his good OBP numbers and everything. Patterson hasn't really gotten the chance to show what he can do at the majors so far, but he could end up being a solid middle infielder, and Gallagher could end up being a top of the rotation starter. While the Cubs' offer for Harden doesn't include the star prospect the Brewers' Sabathia offer did, I think Oakland got better value than the Indians did (basically LaPorta and low-level guys). The A's got 3 guys who could end up starting for them this week (and cheap), which is probably more valuable to Oakland this year.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

I'm a bit surprised that the A's wanted to do the deal so quick. They are only 3.5 games back in the wild card. I would think if they wanted to make a push for the playoffs, they would probably need Harden. Beane must have been REALLY concerned about Harden's health issues b/c this doesn't seem to make sense to do the deal so soon

You could also look at it as they got to keep most of their prospects. As they basically gave away bench players. Steal for the Cubs, imo. The option is what really makes this a big kicker here. If he stays healthy for this year and next, they are going to be tough.

Thats what I don't get how could OAK trade 1 1/2 years of Top 10 pitcher (if healthy) for Gallagher and a bunch of junk? PLus they got a reliever out of the deal. Makes absolutely no sense to me. Heck we could have offered Dave Bush, Cain, and maybe one more player and we could have gotten Harden. That is just ridiculous

Heck we could have offered Dave Bush, Cain, and maybe one more player and we could have gotten Harden. That is just ridiculous

That was my first reaction. However, Gallagher is young and could improve, but looking at immediate impact to the A's, I pondered if Bush and 3 low prospects could have seriously got Harden from the A's.

I'm a bit surprised that the A's wanted to do the deal so quick. They are only 3.5 games back in the wild card. I would think if they wanted to make a push for the playoffs, they would probably need Harden. Beane must have been REALLY concerned about Harden's health issues b/c this doesn't seem to make sense to do the deal so soon

The A's made a trade that allowed them to continue in the playoff race. Gallagher steps into the rotation and Murton and Patterson have chances to play for them right now. The A's got young parts that have some potential and the Cubs get a top-flight pitcher, who makes Sheets seem like an iron-man. I do think Oakland made this deal quick in part because you never know when Harden will go down, but also they had him for another year and they could have traded him in the off-season for more.

Oakland fans are burning up the phone lines out here...I don't think they were against Harden being traded (they know how it is for their market and they know he's made of glass) but they thought Beane could and should do better than what eh got.

That said, Beane's record as a talent evaluator speaks for itself (esp. over Hendry, who has a lot more money to play with)...I'll wait and see on this one.

Beane must have been REALLY concerned about Harden's health issues b/c this doesn't seem to make sense to do the deal so soon

Yeah, I'll echo BtA here. I'd guess that Beane & OAK A) know something about Rich's arm that no one else does, B) are 'selling high' (question the return then), or C) got fleeced.

Here's some info on C Josh Donaldson, from a projectprospect.com pre-season "Chicago Cubs Top 5" prospects article:

5. Josh Donaldson, C (12/8/85)

Taken with the No. 48 overall pick this past June, Josh Donaldson has wasted little time proving himself worthy of being the Cubs' sandwich round selection. In 203 Northwest League (A-) at-bats, the 6-foot, 195-pounder posted an impressive .346/.470/.605 vital line, thanks in part to a keen eye (37:34 BB to K) at the dish. Behind the dish, Donaldson's inexperience still shows at times. The Auburn University product started his collegiate career as a third baseman before moving behind the plate. Some believe he'll become a solid defensive catcher; some believe he'll move off the position-maybe even to second base. Regardless of what vantage point he ends up seeing the field from on defense, Donaldson has a Major League slot in waiting as long as he remembers to bring his bat with him to the plate.

We might all just be undervaluing the catcher in this deal... of course we know what Beane does when things are undervalued http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

If Harden makes half his starts the rest of the way, this is a good deal for the Cubs. Unbelievable. Beane must have let an intern makes this deal or has a place in his heart for the Cubs.

That is an extreme statement. Harden making 6 starts is not worth Sean Gallagher let alone Murton and Patterson. Know I think this is a great deal for the Cubs but if CC only netted us two more wins according to rluz Harden for half his starts would net at most one.

I know their were concerns after his last start because his velocity wasn't there, maybe Beane knows something we don't? Even if that is the case, the Cubs still have theirs doctors and one would think their would be repercussions if Beane knowingly traded an injured player. I suppose he just wanted to get something before the you know what hits the fan

Phil Rodgers of the Chicago Tribune was just on ESPN radio and he thought the Cubs gave up to much considering that Harden was taken out of his last start due to dead arm and his last 3 starts his volocity was down. If healthy you would have to think that the Cubs really helped themselves, IF he gets hurt you have to wonder what the Cubs were thinking.

Archived