Brewer Fanatic

Brewers talking Damaso Marte?

Sports Illustrated's Tom Verducci was just on 670 WSCR in Chicago and said sources were telling him that the Brewers have begun going after Pittsburgh Pirates reliever Damaso Marte. Marte is going to take a little more to get due to the fact he could be a Class A free agent if he becomes a free agent after the season.

What would it take to get Marte? It is interesting that we could have 7 picks in the first 35.

Marte has a club option for $6 mil, FWIW. If the Brewers were to acquire him and then decline the option (for $250 K), they would have to offer him arby to get the draft picks. If he were pitching well, they might just pick up the option to keep him.

Anywho, I've liked Marte for quite some time but I would be nervous about trading a good prospect for him within the division. Something like Tim Dillard or Luis Pena, and Steve Chapman might work, but if they wanted a top-end prospect, I'd look elsewhere.

If Linebrink took Inman, Garrison, and Thatcher.... Anundsen, Seidel, Ramlow?

If they ask for Anundsen, Seidel and Ramlow, run in the other direction Doug.

What would it take to get Marte? It is interesting that we could have 7 picks in the first 35.

If we were to trade for Marte I'd rather exercise the option.

There is probably some wisdom in spreading out your draft picks as well. Some drafts are deeper than others, I'd probably want 7 picks over 2 years.

I would love to get him for the right price, as I think he would be a great 8th inning option. IMO he would definitely be worth the one year 6 million option at the end of the year. He would be right up there w/ a Fuentes addition, but would probably cost a lot less.

Since we are going for it this year, if it took Anundsen, Seidel and Ramlow I would still do it, especially knowing that he will most likely give us 2 high draft picks, and 1-2 good seasons of relief.

Ever since our return to respectability, I've thought that Pitt made a very good trading partner. With our system packed with prospects and them having major league talent, albeit limited, there are some intriguing players over there. Jason Bay comes to mind and I know they have some decent pitching, both starters and relievers, as well.

I know trading within the division is taboo but I don't think we'll have to worry about Pittsburgh for quite some time. Its not like we're trading with the Cubs or something like that.

Thoughts?

Ryan Braun couldn't crack the Pittsburgh outfield. The fact that Pittsburgh pitching for some reason decided to go away is a mystery and the only reason they aren't competing.

bay is very good, mclouth is having a great season, but thats a little extreme don't you think...

Xavier Nady .323/.383/.538

Ryan Braun .283/.322/.541

Ryan Braun-All Star and 4th OFer on the Pirates!

Gorzelanny and Snell were both projected to be solid #2 pitchers and both have ERAs around 6, otherwise the Pirates would be a real force. The Pirates are closer than people realize.

Most of the Pirates young SP have not reached their potenital for the last few years. One of them seems to have a solid season but the rest of them take a step back instead of up.

McClouth is having a Bill Hall type season and will not reach the numbers again, Bay name seems to carry more weight than his pure production. Trust me I think most of us would take Braun over any Pirate OFer unless you are talking a young Barry Bonds or Bobby Bonilla from the past.

Pirates will stay close to the basement.

Edit: Removed quote that wasn't needed. - Toby

Xavier Nady .323/.383/.538

Ryan Braun .283/.322/.541

Ryan Braun-All Star and 4th OFer on the Pirates!

Gorzelanny and Snell were both projected to be solid #2 pitchers and both have ERAs around 6, otherwise the Pirates would be a real force. The Pirates are closer than people realize.

Braun would start in the Pirates outfield, Nady would go to first.

I definitely like the option year because Marte has been fairly consistently good as a reliever. With him, Riske, Villy, and Torres back you'd have a pretty good starting point for a bullpen next year too. I don't have a good idea on what they would want. I'd like to unload Mota just to help the salaries for this year balance, but that probably doesn't add a lot of value http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif. I think in general trading A ball pitchers who have some promise for well established major league pitchers is a good strategy, but giving up 3 might be too much depth.

Archived