Brewer Fanatic

Ray Durham -- Latest: Trade completed? Ford and Hammond to the Giants for sure, no Taschner

I'm not a big fan of this deal....hopefully it doesn't disrupt the clubhouse. These young guys are very tight.

Taschner is essentially replacing Mota, and Durham will be replacing Dillon. Other than weeks getting some additional time off, I don't see why the young guys would be put out by a deal.

Unless the "unsubstantiated reports" of Weeks' inclusion in a larger-scale deal are true, of course.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm a little curious what type of deal the Giants could send our way that would necessitate Rickie's inclusion, outside of Tiny Tim, Able Cain, or, and this is quite the stretch...Brian Wilson, whose only redeeming quality is that he's a save artist (read: Joe Borowski, v.08) but he does have a good fastball.

I just don't see Rickie being involved here. I can't see what bait the Giants would have to lure him into the deal. I certainly don't think Cain or Wilson will be moved at this point and I don't see Melvin giving him up cheaply. But I would gladly take Durham as a rental as long as he doesn't cost too much. We could really use another LH bat.

Durham is definitely not an offensive upgrade over Weeks. You lose power and SBs with Durham. Durham is having a better year so far, but they seem like a wash offensively from this point forward this year.

Trust me, if you're dealing for Durham, you're doing so because he's a switch hitter who can get on base. You have to use him wisely at this point, because he can't get it done with the glove, and he has had multiple injuries to his legs in the past. He should be a great bench player, and possible platoon guy, but if he plays every day, the Brewers aren't really getting any better, they're just better at different things.

If we wanted another left handed bat why not just send Dillon down and bring up Nelson. That would be a better idea than trading for Durham. To me Nelson is a better option than Durham at the current time.

I'm guessing because he also fills the need of backup 2B that Nelson can't offer

That is true but at this stage in Durhams career he isn't what you would call an ideal 2B. Plus Counsell can still play 2B as good as Durham can so I still don't see whey adding Durham really adds anything to the team other than he is a switch hitter. Counsell and Durham are about the same defensively wise.

Nelson still would be a better option it does limit the defensive subs a little though. I'm just not seeing any value that Durham brings to the team that Counsell already brings to the team.

nate82 wrote:

Counsell and Durham are about the same defensively wise.

Really? I thought Counsell plays pretty good defense where Durham should be expected to play defense like Dillon. At least that seems to be how most people on here are describing Durham.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Durham has a 787 OPS after last year's 638 OPS at the end of his career

Nelson hasnt peaked yet and has an 892 OPS..

I cant tell from those stats who would be better offensively this year.

Really? I thought Counsell plays pretty good defense where Durham should be expected to play defense like Dillon. At least that seems to be how most people on here are describing Durham.

About the same. Both can't get to plays that Weeks can get to and both are more sure handed than Weeks. But both are not as good as Weeks is defensively. Both Counsell and Durham would be a downgrade on defense but it is not much and the difference between Counsell and Durham defensively would be so small I doubt it would be noticeable at all. I much rather have Nelson on the bench than Durham.

Durham is just another Counsell on the bench offensively. Maybe a little bit more pop in the bat than Counsell but Durham is still about the same offensively as Counsell. If the Brewers wanted a player who could provide pop in the bat and is left handed Nelson is the obvious call up. I just wish Kapler could hit from both sides of the plate that would really be nice.

Is it possible that 2 deals are in the works?

Weeks to Oakland for Street. Ellis is a free agent (I believe) soon and Weeks could fit in well. I do note that he isn't a high OBP guy, which Beane seems to only trade for guys that take walks.

Then Ford to San Fran for Durham. Durham starts at second for the rest of the season. Escobar or Hardy move to second next year and we have a great defensive middle infield for years to come.

I like it alot.

nate,

Durham has always had both good obp skills and good pop. It's hard to compare him to Counsell as they are totally different players

That is in the past we are not getting the Durham of old. He is old right now and I don't see this as a good move it doesn't really help the Brewers more than what it would cost to bring Nelson up. Durham is not a every day player and neither is Counsell at this point in their careers. The pop is not there anymore he is getting older he is 36 years old right now. There is not much left of Durham anymore. I love veterans but what does Durham bring that Counsell doesn't already? We already have a player in Counsell and Dillon who can do what Durham will add to the team.

It is just not worth the expense going out (minor league talent) for the production we will get out of Durham. Nelson would be a better option if the Brewers are looking for a left handed bat on the bench. The Brewers do not need another bat right now. The Brewers need bullpen help over anything else right now. I believe the Brewers can live with the bench they have right now for hitters until the rosters expand. This is where Nelson and others will become more valuable than Durham.

Nelson would pretty much be an exclusive hitter would he not? His and Prince's defense are a wash I'd imagine and he can't really play any other positions.

Durham at least can field while still providing good OBP and I'm sure Nelson will be up in September anyways.

3TO Apostle

It doesn't hurt that Durham just finished up a 10 for 24 series at Wrigley, and has hit .371 in the last 3 years at Miller. Also hitting close to .400 at Busch II, in limited AB's. I think if we get Durham he and Weeks will basically split time. Weeks will play against LHP and favorable RHP as well. At least that would be my hope. Who goes if this deal is completed? Dillon? I kinda like the guy.

Archived