Brewer Fanatic

Ray Durham -- Latest: Trade completed? Ford and Hammond to the Giants for sure, no Taschner

That's what was reported Thursday/Friday in SF, naivin.

Heck, if Mota does go, he could have a good month and go to a contender by 8/31. He was throwing 95 last time out. His problems are probably mental or minor, or both.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think that's a given- would SF really want to play tomorrow's game essentially down a player or two?

Some would argue thwy've been playing the entire season downa player or two. Ba Dum Bum!

The Giants are really banged up right now, and I'm sure they don't want to have any of their players show up in the visitor's team dugout during this series. Making the trade official at the end of tomorrow's game makes a lot of sense, since both players could hop into the team's travel plans as they round out the series.

I'm not a huge Jack Taschner fan, but as Al noted he is an upgrade over someone like Choate, but I do like the idea of Durham as a super-sub off of the bench, even if his defensive versatility isn't as great as many seem to think it is, but regardless it would be nice to have his bat off of the bench and to spot start. Randy Winn is another guy I've always liked, not as a starter (and I'm not so sure he would be happy in a 4th OF role, where he would battle for ABs with Kapler), and not for the amount of money he's making.

this just posted on the TH thread

"WSSP 1250 AM in Milwaukee is reporting that Milwaukee Brewers and the San Francisco Giants are close to a deal that would send Milwaukee's Double A Catcher Angel Salome, Single A prospect Outfielder/speedster Darren Ford, and Triple A First Baseman Brad Nelson to the Giants for Second Baseman Ray Durham, Reliever Jack Taschner, and a PTBNL."

Hard to believe

this just posted on the TH thread

"WSSP 1250 AM in Milwaukee is reporting that Milwaukee Brewers and the San Francisco Giants are close to a deal that would send Milwaukee's Double A Catcher Angel Salome, Single A prospect Outfielder/speedster Darren Ford, and Triple A First Baseman Brad Nelson to the Giants for Second Baseman Ray Durham, Reliever Jack Taschner, and a PTBNL."

Hard to believe

If that is true, that means 2 players off the current roster must be sent down or released. I assume Dillon to Nashville and either Stetter to Nashville or Mota DFA.

God that seems pretty one sided if true. the Crew must not think Angel can play catcher at all. On the other hand if it is Angel, I bet Lucroy isn't the PTBNL in the CC trade. If he is it's doubly senseless.

And their PTBNL better be a pretty good pitching prospect.

If Durham ends up as part of the deal, perhaps this all is part of a dastardly plan concocted by the Giants to send their flu-ridden players into the opposing clubhouses. It's a shame Lincecum has already recovered, I would much prefer if the Giants used him to carry out their germ warfare.

But seriously, Salome? Lucroy better not be on Cleveland's list...

wow, that would be an awful lot to get rid of for Durham, Taschner, and a PTBNL. Unless the PTBNL ends up being another Carlos Villanueva. The Giants wouldn't do that twice, would they?

As for a Weeks vs. Durham thing, I would hope that the true competition would kick Weeks in the butt and get him going. I'm not a fan of Durham but he's an upgrade at present.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I had posted this in another thread, in case Durham is on his way....

A platoon might be interesting. This season vs right-handers, Durham is hitting .318, with a .396 OBP, and .446 Slugging. Weeks vs lefties, is .265, .380, .446

PTBNL is an acronym for Tim Lincecum right? Pretty sure.

Player To Be Named: Lincecum. Makes perfect sense to me. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Also, I think some radio guy saw no Angel Salome in the AA lineup and ran with it, not aware of the suspension.

Salome is obviously not part of this, but Nelson makes a ton of sense. He could play 1B for the Giants on Monday. Still seems like everyone is grasping at straws, but of course being who we are... makes this great fun. Is JT really an upgrade from Stetter?

Durham and Weeks in some kind of "go with who is hot" combo improves the team, without a doubt. The irony there is, we might actually see Weeks as a PR/defensive sub for Durham some days.

Rickie seems to be more on the ball lately, taking balls and swinging at strikes, but as an insurance policy, Durham is a nice choice.

Archived