Brewer Fanatic

Ray Durham -- Latest: Trade completed? Ford and Hammond to the Giants for sure, no Taschner

Guys, all of our top prospects can't possibly not only make the pros but be impact type players let's trade the ones we think aren't and let's make the fricking playoffs. This board as a whole has to get out of the "small market" mentatlity. Our payroll is almost $90 million!!!!

90 million and the team is the red, there isn't any room for growth with the payroll... people who think Milwaukee isn't a small market, when in fact it's the smallest market in baseball (30 out 30) need to realize the truth about the situation. Be proud how well the community and state is supporting the team, but realistic about what it takes for Milwaukee to compete long term.

There is presumably some room to grow the payroll this year, because there have been comments that the team is still looking for the right pieces. Unless they think they can dump Hall and get a good player in return, chances are that some payroll will be added. TH quoted Melvin as saying that he can't add $2 million for a tweak to the bullpen. I think that means that he could add that money for Street, for example, but not for a mediocre arm.

As far as small market, the size of the market doesn't matter as much as the revenue. Milwaukee is around mid-revenue, which is great, and should be as long as they keep a decent team on the field.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There is presumably some room to grow the payroll this year, because there have been comments that the team is still looking for the right pieces. Unless they think they can dump Hall and get a good player in return, chances are that some payroll will be added. TH quoted Melvin as saying that he can't add $2 million for a tweak to the bullpen. I think that means that he could add that money for Street, for example, but not for a mediocre arm.

As far as small market, the size of the market doesn't matter as much as the revenue. Milwaukee is around mid-revenue, which is great, and should be as long as they keep a decent team on the field.

I agree that they can and likely will take on salary this year, but not every year. This team needs to keep prospects around for the long haul, we cannot simply dump every simgle prospect for short term solutions, when there is still the larger long term need in the rotation as there are no high level prospects close to the bigs.

I don't want to get into another small market economics debate because there is enough information out there now on the subject and if people don't agree with me that's fine, people are going to believe what they want to believe. This team has maybe 1 prospect deal left it in that includes significant talent, but it better a deal for the right price. I like the Sabathia trade, but no one will ever convince me that we didn't give up too much for a rental. I don't mind the idea of aquiring a Street at all, I still think Fielder is best solution for a rotation solution in the off season. My point is that prospects are far more valuable to the success of a team that isn't going to ever be player in the free agent market, than a team like the Yankees that can plug holes with high paid veterans. Generally speaking it's in the best interests of clubs like Milwaukee to be the sellers, instead of the buyers.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

This team needs to keep prospects around for the long haul, we cannot simply dump every simgle prospect for short term solutions, when there is still the larger long term need in the rotation as there are no high level prospects close to the bigs.

Nobody is suggesting dumping every single prospect for short term solutions. Street wouldn't cost every single prospect, and he is more of a medium term solution.

I don't want to get into another small market economics debate because there is enough information out there now on the subject and if people don't agree with me that's fine, people are going to believe what they want to believe.

If you don't want to get into a debate, you shouldn't suggest that others are close-minded. I don't "believe what I want to believe". There are certain undisputable facts. The Brewers started the season 15th in total payroll. That is not an attribute of a small revenue team. It is true that the Brewers play in the smallest market and have the worst TV contract, but that doesn't define them as small revenue. Brewers fans love baseball so dearly that they will fill a stadium for a team that is good and they will draw 25-30k for a team that hovers around .500. Not many other cities can claim that.

My point is that prospects are far more valuable to the success of a team that isn't going to ever be player in the free agent market,

The Brewers have been and will be players in the FA market. They may not go for the top players at the position, but they can fill holes with moderate contracts.

Generally speaking it's in the best interests of clubs like Milwaukee to be the sellers, instead of the buyers.

Losers sell, winners buy. It is in the best interest of the Brewers to develop prospects. The Brewers should use those prospects to improve their team, whether that is through playing for the Brewers or being traded for players that will play for the Brewers.

Nobody is suggesting dumping every single prospect for short term solutions. Street wouldn't cost every single prospect, and he is more of a medium term solution.

Huston would cost close to every single prospect.

He would certainly cost more than Sabathia. (LaPorta, Bryson and potential one of Brantley/Lucroy/Green)

I would think that puts the price on Street at something along the lines of Gamel, Salome and Braddock. (Maybe Jeffress in there somewhere)

I would think that puts the price on Street at something along the lines of Gamel, Salome and Braddock. (Maybe Jeffress in there somewhere)

No way. Gamel alone is probably worth more than Street. The Brewers could get him without giving up Gamel.

Who would you rather have? Street or Taschner? I would think Taschner will have a cheaper asking price and he's not too shabby either.

Taschner has only thrown 125 ML innings. I'm not sure we know who he is. I would trade for him if the cost was something the Brewers wouldn't miss, but I wouldn't plan on him being a solution. Would the team want 3 lefties in the pen? I wouldn't take him over Shouse or Stetter.

huston street

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b351/madisonbrewerblue/hazinghuston.jpg

Does he wait tables at the Tilted Kilt?

Seriously though, I like the idea of adding a player to our bullpen that we control for 2+ years. He'd definitely help us out during the playoff push, and if we find ourselves out of contention in '09 or '10 because of holes in our rotation with no need for a top closer, he could possibly be dealt to another team at that time. I'd love to keep him around longer if he maintains his career numbers.
Gruber Lawffices

I just watched Street pitch against the yankees and one word would describe him; unimpressive. He cant even touch 90 with his fastball and looked very very hittable. He has also had arm problems the last few seasons so trading for him is very very risky. Throw in the prohibitive cost that it would take to obtain him and I would say we need to stay away. This guy is far from a shutdown closer and I fear Melvin emptying the system to get him.

I cant belive I craped the bed and put it in the major league forum, my bad.

I hope everyone remember how bad Cordero was struggling before he came to Milwaukee, getting Street would be awesome. (I predicted it to start the year)

yeah I'm not buying Ford straight up for Street. Has to be a mid-level AA player involved in this.

No one's saying it was straight up, Ford would be included though.

Ford doesn't seem like the type of player Beane would be interested in due to his lack of plate discipline. This seems fishy to me...

I have to believe that Gillespy and Brantley would be targets, but why would Beane even take Ford as a throw-in? I know that he is a prospect with speed, but Beane has been cosistant in the fact that he prizes plate discipline above speed (and most everything else)

Archived