Brewer Fanatic

Ray Durham -- Latest: Trade completed? Ford and Hammond to the Giants for sure, no Taschner

http://blogs.jsonline.com/brewers/archive/2008/07/18/brewers-probably-looking-at-street.aspx

San Francisco - Brewers general manager Doug Melvin told me earlier today that he wouldn't pay $2 million for "a tweak" in his bullpen.

What about paying to acquire Oakland closer Huston Street? I just learned that Melvin's top special assistant, Dick Groch, is at Yankee Stadium this weekend. The Brewers are looking for relief help, and Street is believed to be available on the trade market, so it's easy to put one and one together to get two.

Other teams are certain to have interest in Street, 24, who is 2-3 with a 4.07 ERA in 38 games, with 17 saves in 21 chances.

The Athletics have a couple of veteran set-up men in Keith Foulke and Alan Embree, but they would constitute more of a tweak than a significant move. Acquiring Street would be a dynamic move that would allow the Brewers to return Salomon Torres to the eighth inning, which has become a mine field since Torres replaced Eric Gagne as closer.

Street wouldn't break the bank, either. He is making $3.3 million this year, less than half of which is remaining to be paid. And Street has two more years after 2008 before he can be a free agent.

Acquiring Street would be a dynamic move for the bullpen, just as acquiring CC Sabathia was a dynamic move for the rotation.

20Fry : April 2006 - March 2012

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Street absolutely makes sense for the Brewers, but Groch's presence doesn't assure that. Oakland has been waving Street around, but also Embree, Foulke, and Duscherer - who knows which guy he's there for?

The A's have done their homework, and they know which prospects they want, there is no question of that. The young talent they've stockpiled is really something, they're going to be all over the top prospects lists next spring.

Street's periperals look good this year, but his ERA+ is 94. I know, that's not the best way to judge a reliever, but still, kind of odd. Without looking at game logs looks like he might have just been unlucky with HRs: 6 in 42 IP. Still would be an improvement over Gagne and Mota. Would be a good pickup if it doesn't cost too much. Devine looks like an interesting pitcher too, but I imagine that Melvin is probably looking for someone more established.

Wow, I was so close to starting a thread asking about Street back on Tuesday. I had it all typed up and everything, but decided not to post because I thought there was no chance. If we could actually do it I'd be all for it. As long as it doesn't include Escobar, Gamel, or Jeffress do what it takes. A good late inning guy and our world series chances take a big step up.

...the Brewers are in what seems like serious talks about trading for Taschner, and both sides are waiting til after this weekends series is done.

Something tells me Taschner at the least would relish not having to face Prince again

Adding Street and Ellis for Weeks + would be an excellent move on paper. And trading away Weeks would give the local sports scribes plenty of fodder given the four-alarm tantrum that Prince Fielder would be sure to unleash.

If we're really "going for it" how about Street and Ducherrerr (sp?) in a package. Alot us seem to be worried about the prospects we have lost but won't the minor league system be replenished with the draft from 2008 and the potential draft pick haul for 2009 and we have 2 "impact" prospects in Gamel and Escobar who apparently are major league ready. This will allow to trade Hardy (who apparently has quite a bit of value) and fill the closers role for cheap (or at least cheaper than going FA route).

If we are going to make a trade for Street, you have to remember who we are trading with in Beane. He is going to want guys with great plate discipline. The type of trade I could see for Street would be Brantley, Gillespie, and Braddock. To me it seems like quite a bit, but that's what I think we are probably looking at.

Guys, all of our top prospects can't possibly not only make the pros but be impact type players let's trade the ones we think aren't and let's make the fricking playoffs. This board as a whole has to get out of the "small market" mentatlity. Our payroll is almost $90 million!!!!

i love the comment about the eighth inning being "a mine field inning" for the brewer's. i'm not for trading for bullpen help right now. this weekend the brewers need to test the waters with gagne in the 8th inning and squeeze some of his $10 million contract out of him before going to st. louis next week.

brewers have lots of options in the eighth inning right now, mota aint one of them. with bush cv and mcclung sitting in the pen and with riske well rested neds options are wide open. he needs to ride the pony, the hot hand.

Guys, all of our top prospects can't possibly not only make the pros but be impact type players let's trade the ones we think aren't and let's make the fricking playoffs. This board as a whole has to get out of the "small market" mentatlity. Our payroll is almost $90 million!!!!

90 million and the team is the red, there isn't any room for growth with the payroll... people who think Milwaukee isn't a small market, when in fact it's the smallest market in baseball (30 out 30) need to realize the truth about the situation. Be proud how well the community and state is supporting the team, but realistic about what it takes for Milwaukee to compete long term.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

brewers have lots of options in the eighth inning right now

The thing about Street is, we'd have him for the rest of this year, next year, and the year after that. So while we have options for the eighth inning right now (many of them being dubious options, IMO), Street would give us somewhat long-term stability in the ninth inning. That trickles down to the rest of the staff. With Street, Torres becomes locked in to the 8th inning slot for the rest of the year and presumably next year.

I'd rather have "lots of options" for the 6th and 7th innings and know exactly what I'm going to have for the 8th and 9th. Street goes a long way to that end.

Huston Street -

ERA

Career 2.84, Season 4.07

WHIP

Career 1.03, Season 1.09

K/BB

Career 3.93, Season 3.81

Street's ERA is up over his career norm this season, which has reportedly been tied to an increase in HR allowed. Here's the story...

This season, Street struggled out of the gate, giving up a HR in each of his first three appearances, for a total of 5 ER. At that point, his ERA was at 12.27. From that point, Street did not allow a HR over his next 19 outings, before giving one up in Texas on June 1. During this homer-less run, Street held his opponent scoreless 16 times, allowed 1 ER twice, and 3 ER one time. Basically, one bad game over a two-month period.

Following the HR in TX, (June 1 - BTW, the A's won that game 13-8), Street turned in 6 consecutive scoreless outings.

At this point, Street had a very forgettable series vs the Marlins, allowing 5 ER in two games, including 2 HR.

Street then put up 5 consecutive scoreless outings, before closing the first half with two rough games, giving up 3 ER on 5 hits over 2 IP.

Basically, you've got a lousy start to the season, a single bad game in Atlanta, a meaningless HR in TX, a rough patch vs Florida, and a stumble just before the break, vs the Angels. Yes, he has allowed 6 HR this season, but half of them came in his first three games of the year, one of which was played in Japan.

This reminds me of Francisco Cordero's final season in TX, he had started the season poorly, then pitched much better. When Milwaukee got him, his season stats were not impressive, but a closer look showed that he had done fine after his first few outings. The same is true for Street.

So far this season, Street has failed in consecutive outings three times, and has otherwise had one bad game. Pretty much, expect him to have one ugly series per month, (which is not to say the Brewers would lose all of those games - the A's didn't), and otherwise dominate.

Archived