Brewer Fanatic

Ray Durham -- Latest: Trade completed? Ford and Hammond to the Giants for sure, no Taschner

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm glad this happened now, when it's easiest for Durham to join the Brewers, and in time for the St Louis series.

The team still needs to add an arm, and they are still following the A's, (at least), I wouldn't be surprised if there's one more move before the deadline.

I'm guessing there'll be more to this, like salary picked up or a PTBNL or something on the SF side. Ford and Hammond seems like a lot to give for half a season of Ray Durham.

I agree! Ford and Hammond aren't top prospects, but still seem like a lot to give up for a little bit of Durham....

I'm glad this happened now, when it's easiest for Durham to join the Brewers, and in time for the St Louis series.

The team still needs to add an arm, and they are still following the A's, (at least), I wouldn't be surprised if there's one more move before the deadline.

I agree. I can't believe Doug feels comfortable with his current bullpen setup. But if they make a move for another arm then Mota has got to be DFA'd otherwise it's not going to help that much.

And actually, Hammond (27) and Ford (21) are at least thought of highly enough to make BA's top 30 list for the Brewers. Ford may still be a ways away (hard to project if he's really a MLB-caliber CF or not, even though they say defensively he could play CF for the Brewers today), but I am finding it harder to part with Hammond in this deal. I know he had a rough 2007, but it was his first full pro season and they attributed it to him working to hard (something that's correctable). Always hard to give up on lefty arms even if they wind up being bullpen arms. If Taschner was part of the deal, I'd have an easier time with it.

Interesting that TH hasn't updated his blog to at least indicate that Taschner is not in the deal. Maybe he still is.

?

His most recent post says: So, here's the latest word: The Brewers are just getting Giants second baseman Ray Durham, not reliever Jack Taschner.

http://blogs.jsonline.com/brewers/archive/2008/07/20/it-s-just-durham.aspx

I am pretty certain that the deal is Hammond and Ford for Durham, which seems fair to me. Hammond is 26 and has not taken well to AAA at all. Ford, who is regarded as the fastest player perhaps in the minors, has taken a pretty precipitous fall as a prospect, having reached 6 on the power 50 a year ago.

I'm usually a fan of being active, even making a trade "just to make a trade", but this is the most underwhelming addition since underwhelm came to Underwhelmsville. Would have rather stood pat than make this totally "blah" move ... keep the parts in case there's a better trade available. We now get Durham for the second half of 2008 when his numbers plummet to get him back to career norms. I do not think this improves us. It's just a giveaway of farm talent.

Did not want an old, has-been player who's been inexplicably playing over his head in the OBP column for 80-some games. (And this from someone who pretty much hates Weeks!) Adding contributors to the starting rotation and/or bullpen should be much higher priorities. Do not like.

"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

Now the big question becomes who goes down when Suppan comes off the DL.

Yeah, my biggest problem with a Ford/Hammond for just Durham deal might be that not acquiring Taschner probably keeps Mota on the roster for a while longer.

I'm usually a fan of being active, even making a trade "just to make a trade", but this is the most underwhelming addition since underwhelm came to Underwhelmsville.

I would have been in your camp until someone pointed out that Prince is leading the team with a .360 OBP. I guess we just hope he keeps playing over his head. AND, I wouldn't be against keeping Dillon up, letting Durham start for a couple of weeks (no pun intended) and send Rickie to AAA to work out his problems (just like last year).

Edit: Pared back long nested quote.

Why? I don't see how this helps the team. If Taschner were included I like the deal but I just don't see what Ray Durham at this point in his career really gives us. He probably takes Dillon's spot on the club and is he really that much better than Dillon?

Yeah, my biggest problem with a Ford/Hammond for just Durham deal might be that not acquiring Taschner probably keeps Mota on the roster for a while longer.

Yep. It's too bad Mota can't find his way onto the DL and then head out for a "rehab" assignment just to see if he can figure out that flaw in his mechanics (again). I'm sure such a thing has never crossed DM's mind....

Did not want an old, has-been player who's been inexplicably playing over his head in the OBP column for 80-some games. (And this from someone who pretty much hates Weeks!) Adding contributors to the starting rotation and/or bullpen should be much higher priorities. Do not like.

He's not a has-been. He is a is. It's true that his OBP is on pace to be a high for him, but he's had OBP of .360 and .356 in the last three years. He was awful last year, I don't know why, but other than that he has been average to good as a hitter for a decade. He represents an improvement against RH for this season. His defense is bad, no question about that. If Weeks turns it around and this trade is meaningless, that's fine. Hammond doesn't look to have much of a career and Ford is years away from making it, if he ever did. These players have more value to a bad team like the Giants than they will to most.

So it looks like we may have a platoon at 2B and 3B. Hall and Weeks face lefties and Durham and Branyan against RH. Rickie may be able to earn his spot back, but the team couldn't risk losing a chance at the playoffs waiting for Weeks to come out of a season long slump.

Archived