Brewer Fanatic

7/7/08 - Rockies (Jimenez) at Brewers (McClung) 7:05pm CT

sgtcluels
  • Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Perhaps he should have tried one. This isn't the time to be wasting at-bats on pitchers who never hit. I mean, pinch-hit Sabathia if you don't want to waste a bench player!

So I will ask again if you are manager what would you have done there.. I don't see a better solution then what he did.

There wasn't another relief pitcher up

Perhaps he should have tried one. This isn't the time to be wasting at-bats on pitchers who never hit. I mean, pinch-hit Sabathia if you don't want to waste a bench player!

And pitch who then? Take your long relief guy out in the 5th when only down two runs and after the bullpen threw 6 innings the game prior, just to save one out from the pitcher having to bat?

I don't like Ned and feel weird defending him, but man the nitpicking on here gets silly at times.

So I will ask again if you are manager what would you have done there.. I don't see a better solution then what he did.

I wouldn't have brought in my long relief guy when pitcher's spot is due up and I need guys to work the count and get on base offensively.

Was Villy the best pitching option there? Yes. But if you can't count on a guy in that bullpen to get you one out, he shouldn't be on the freaking team. Anyone should have been capable of going there, except maybe Stetter and Riske because they each pitched two innings yesterday.

Best-case was that Kendall reached to lead off the fifth so Ned could have Villy drop down a bunt, which would have been absolutely stupid but par for the course.

Wearing my heart on my sleeve since birth. Hopefully, it's my only crime.

Twitter..

Blog..

Facebook.

Bottom line: This performance only validates what Jayson Stark said about us earlier today.

Blame McLelland all you want. Blame Yost all you want. Blame McClung all you want.

We had seven baserunners through four innings against a bad pitcher, and we didn't score a single run. That's embarrassing.

Twitter..

Blog..

Facebook.

I wouldn't have brought in my long relief guy when pitcher's spot is due up and I need guys to work the count and get on base offensively.

Was Villy the best pitching option there? Yes. But if you can't count on a guy in that bullpen to get you one out, he shouldn't be on the freaking team. Anyone should have been capable of going there, except maybe Stetter and Riske because they each pitched two innings yesterday.

Best-case was that Kendall reached to lead off the fifth so Ned could have Villy drop down a bunt, which would have been absolutely stupid but par for the course.

Ok.. so you say Riske and Stetter are out..

I can just imagine what you would say if Yost would have brought in Gagne or Mota in that situation with the bases loaded. So that leaves:

Shouse

Torres

Villy

I think we can agree Torres is not an option there and Shouse is basically your setup man right now and he wouldn't have been warming up that early.

So again I ask who exactly do you bring in there? "Anyone" isn't on the roster..

Edited for bad typing

Was Villy the best pitching option there? Yes. But if you can't count on a guy in that bullpen to get you one out, he shouldn't be on the freaking team.

That wasn't why Ned didn't bring in someone besides Villanueva. He did it because the game prior the bullpen had to eat up six innings after the terrible start by Suppan. He's not going to have Mota or Gagne warming up in the pen in the fifth inning after pitching yesterday and Ned not even knowing if they' be needed. The bases were loaded, he's not going to bring Shouse in the 5th to face righty Atkins. Nothing was more important than getting Atkins out or take the chance of him knocking in multiple runs. CV was the common sense option given the situation, unless fans just want a reason to complain about something.

There wasn't another reliever up because Yost decided to go with his long reliever right away. And I would have been fine with Stetter or Gagne. Villy doesn't exactly set the bar high himself.

I've defended Yost plenty of times around here but when he does to the bullpen early, he always ignores whether the pitcher will have to bat for himself. It's just not smart.

Anyone kept count on the number of pitches right down the middle - between thigh and belt high - that we've taken in this game?

Perhaps that's a part of the problem.

Yes..very few good at bats this game from the Brewers..

There wasn't another reliever up because Yost decided to go with his long reliever right away. And I would have been fine with Stetter or Gagne. Villy doesn't exactly set the bar high himself.

I've defended Yost plenty of times around here but when he does to the bullpen early, he always ignores whether the pitcher will have to bat for himself. It's just not smart.

Villy has been very good since going to the pen.. Stetter and Gagne have proven control problems. The priority there is get out of the inning not about who will bat the next inning..

I could see the argument to use Parra but he also has had his control issues.. Maybe you would bring Riske in for 1 batter but again he wouldn't have been warming up in that situation.

But you did actually pick a pitcher so I will agree to disagree Stetter and/or Gagne might have gotten out of that and then Dillon might have ignited a rally.. statistically speaking I would bank on the way Yost did it.

Bottom line: This performance only validates what Jayson Stark said about us earlier today.

Blame McLelland all you want. Blame Yost all you want. Blame McClung all you want.

We had seven baserunners through four innings against a bad pitcher, and we didn't score a single run. That's embarrassing.

Yea because only the Brewers have games where they struggle score runs some nights vs a non-great pitcher.

I've never seen anyone on this board complain about anything and everything like you do, even though the team has the best record in the game since mid-May.

Look at the box scores nearly every night, you'll see at least one team or more get shut down by a non-great pitcher, but i guess it's only embarrassing when we do it. Dave friggin Bush only allowed one run in three of his last four starts, it's far far from only something the Brewers do.

Oh well, carry on with your complaining, you seem to enjoy it greatly

Oh well, carry on with your complaining, you seem to enjoy it greatly

Oh, yes. That's why I've complained endlessly about Braun, Hardy, Hart, and the Sabathia trade.

I secretly hate this team, and I hope they lose every night. My goal? 60-102.

Go Rockies.

Twitter..

Blog..

Facebook.

Archived