Brewer Fanatic

Suppan to 15 Day DL

bullox
This whole cheering for injuries thing needs to stop. Am I glad Suppan is the odd man out? Yes. Am I backing that up with comments of "what a great week for Brewers fans"? Heck no. If it's "elbow irritation, wink wink", that's fine. If it's a real issue, I hope he's better after 2 weeks off. A break at this point certainly won't hurt, and we don't need him right now.

I'm with series on this one.

No way is this good news. Sure, it may be expedient with all the CC euphoria here, but we need Soup. The guy was terrific at the start of the season. He has been off the last 4 starts. The guy is a proven money player down the stretch and in the post-season. I sure hope its just a little extra rest he needs and not something more serious...you just never know with pitchers. I sure want Soup in that rotation come September...or sooner.

At the time we acquired Suppan, we paid the market price for a pitcher of that caliber. The guy has been completely on target with his performance since he arrived in Milwaukee...I can't understand why he is such a lightning rod with some fans.

I don't think that anyone is happy about the injury, just that now the situation with the rotation is resolved, with the weakest link (looking at the last couple weeks or so) is not in the rotation and can jopefully get healthy.

Again, I doubt anyone says "YES, Soup is out, I hate him and wish him personal injury!"

It makes some sense, as Suppan hasn't been pitching up to his standard of late; he didn't have his usual velocity and command. (It's funny, after my post defending the guy in the Trade Forum, Suppan has put together a streak of non-quality starts.)

I don't think that the Brewers would be pitching him if he had a serious injury....but at the same time, he probably would benefit from a few weeks off at this point. As an added bonus, it gives the team more time to decide on Bush / McClung question for the 5th spot in the rotation.

Could care less that it makes it easy to figure out the starters for now. Would take depth of pitching no matter if Soup, Bush, or McClung was moved to the pen.

I thought people would have learned you can never have enough pitching after what happen to start the season. Cappy went down, Vargas was cut, Yo started on the DL then blows out a knee, and the two young guns C-Vill and Parra struggled as SP in the begining. Sheets and Suppan were the only two guys that were dependable to start the season. Sure Melvin and Yost would have figured out who to send downl, without an injury.

I hope Soup just has a slightly sore shoulder and nothing more. I think this is more of a move to give him a rest and get his head straight for teh 2nd half push. He was pretty great minus his last 3 starts.

Even when he was pitching "well" at the beginning of the season he was getting lucky. At no point really did his WHIP match up with his really low ERA (I think it was like mid 3's even with his horrid Cubs start). He's obviously much better than what he's demonstrated the last few weeks, but I don't think we can really expect him to be a guy with a 3.5 ERA after the All-Star break.

I wouldn't expect him to have a 3.5 ERA, but I really want him to have a healthy arm going into August and September. He's been a solid pitcher his entire career and he will keep us in games when he is healthy. If he pitches somewhere around 3-4 runs per 6 innings we will have a chance to win.

This stint on the DL can only help him and the Brewers because it works out well with the addition of CC and if Bush or McClung falter then Suppan will step in. Obviously I don't want Suppan injured, but I'm glad he's going to the DL because he's just a liability when he is hurt.

Even when he was pitching "well" at the beginning of the season he was getting lucky. At no point really did his WHIP match up with his really low ERA (I think it was like mid 3's even with his horrid Cubs start). He's obviously much better than what he's demonstrated the last few weeks, but I don't think we can really expect him to be a guy with a 3.5 ERA after the All-Star break.

I will certainly do not think with the track record of Bush and McClung, Brewers can count on them to keep up it. Neither one of these guys of keeping it together for long stretches.

Suppan is closer to a 4 - 4.5 ERA guy with this team, he pitches to contact and defense is not this strong suite so he gives up more runs.

Thanks Soup! Seriously, I think Suppan is a real team player. This injury sounds made up. I'm guessing he could have refused to go on the DL but instead is doing this for the team. There is obviously something wrong so maybe a couple weeks off will help him. Pure speculation on my part, but it makes sense. Gives the Brewers a couple weeks to figure out the bullpen.

Soup's no dummy that's for sure. This is a veteran, "team player" move on his part. He's been missing his spots and that could be do to some fatigue. The rest will probably help him. He struggled last year at midseason, then came on late.

I didn't see anyone in this thread say "I'm glad Suppan is hurt." I saw a lot of people say "I'm glad Suppan's going on the DL" (and some say "I don't think he's really hurt," which may or may not be correct but, by definition, does not constitute "cheering an injury"). Those are two very, very different things, and I think both SeriesFinale and Team Canada, with all due respect, are seriously overreacting and (in SF's case) ripping people unnecessarily. Of course, maybe I'm reading other people's posts wrong, but that's what I saw.

I'm really glad Soup's going on the DL. That means his problems of late may have a tangible cause that some time on the shelf will ameliorate. I wish he didn't *need* to go on the DL, but obviously he does, or he wouldn't be going.

Greg.

Well, I think many people in this thread were being unnecessarily snarky about Suppan being basically sent down, celebrating the downfall of this team's latest goat, not necessarily celebrating that "everything worked out." A month ago these same people would have been "happy the situation worked out" if it had been Bush or McClung going down.

I don't really think anyone is actually "celebrating" the injury. I think they all feel the rest will do Soup some good because of the way he's performed lately. I certainly hope that things work out OK because having 6 capable starters going down tjhe stretch is cetainly better than having 5.

The last time everyone thought one of our pitchers was 'faking' an injury to give his arm a rest and save his pride was Capuano and he still hasn't pitched again this year.

The odds are against him faking an injury.

Archived