Brewer Fanatic

Suppan to 15 Day DL

bullox

Stevo wrote:

It would be nice if the Brewers could convince Suppan his arm is tired and DL him out for a few weeks.

From another thread, like 15 minutes ago. Not to gloat, but I rule. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Well didn't see this coming. This is probably the best move we could make considering his performance of late. So what is the mysterious injury?

Suckitude - See WebMD for more info. Should be back shortly after the All Star break.

This sounds like a pretty good outcome. We'll need him to pitch well in a few weeks.

I scooped you by 1 minute in the pitching staff thread http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif I like this move.

Yeah, I rode on your coat tails (and clancy too, he actually beat you to the punch by a minute) to achieve this esteemed level of superstardom, breaking the news of a DL move on BF.net. No autographs please.

So up to the break the last 7 are we looking at McClung/Sabathia/Parra/Sheets/Bush/McClung/Sabathia?

If Yost is smart, we will go Sabathia/Sheets/Parra/skip Bush on off day/McClung/Sabathia/Sheets/Parra/McClung/Bush/Sabathia/Sheets/Parra/McClung out of the all-star break. That leads us through the Cubs series, and gets us both Sheets/Sabathia against both the Cards/Cubs, and Parra against the Cubs as well.

Great news, its been a great couple days as a Brewer fan

Classy. I don't think this is "great news" for the team regardless of how Soup's been pitching as of late.

Certainly clears things up a bit but I'd have rather have seen Soup as our #5 right now and McClung in the pen.

That said, I hope the time off clears up his issues (and explains away how bad he's been).

right elbow joint irritation

Interesting. This does look like an 'injury', but then again Soup's past 4 performances have seemed to be crappiness from out of nowhere. Yes, he's no world-beater, but he's not as bad as those most recent starts. Get better whether you're really hurt or not, Jeff!

EDIT: I certainly think this could be a legit injury.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Series, I think you're the only one that's commented so far that actually believes this is a real injury. It's highly suspicious timing and we all think it's a great move for us as it clears up the pitching situation for a few weeks.

I suspect it could be a real injury. I just suspect it is not a real serious injury. Probably something he could easily pitch through that may or may not be seriously affecting his effectiveness, but provides a great opportunity to give him 2-3 weeks off.

Series, I think you're the only one that's commented so far that actually believes this is a real injury. It's highly suspicious timing and we all think it's a great move for us as it clears up the pitching situation for a few weeks.

Do I think this was a transactional issue and that Suppan's not going in for TJS? Sure. I do think that he probably is experiencing some soreness (his control has been atrocious as of late) though and that I'm not really happy to see a guy who's supposed to be a horse and that the team invested a lot of money in has to essentially be sent down to the cheers of Brewer fans.

It might not be a real injury but to me he has the dreaded "dead" arm. Just watching the game yesterday and his last couple of starts, he just didnt have it. Yesterday he was topping out at around 83, I know he doesnt dial it up over 90 that often but he usally sits between 88 and 90 and here and there touching 91. Along with loss of velocity he didnt have his usual control either, so a little off time will be good for him. Plus being a veteran its not like he cant get ready for the stretch run when he can do what he was brought here for the post season,or atleast thats what they said when they brought him in.

Understandable. I have to say that I'm not cheering the downfall of Suppan, but the easy answer to the question of who do we sit when CC gets here. I'd love to see Soup take a few days off, shake off what ails him, and come back a la JJ from his shoulder soreness.

In the meantime, it was clear that Soup was the worst performing in our rotation but because of his name/contract wasn't going to be the one sent to the bullpen. In terms of our chances, I'm happy with him out of the starting 5 for a week or two.

Edit: I was reacting to your calling people "classy" for being happy the situation smoothed out - it seemed snarky and unnecessary

I wouldn't be surprised if the Brewers knew that Suppan was pitching with a tired arm and Suppan was trying to gut it out for the team, with Melvin and Yost knowing that there was a good chance that the Brewers would be getting another pitcher soon. Now that they have this pitcher, they can put him on the DL and let him rest it for a bit.

tristarscoop wrote:

Edit: I was reacting to your calling people "classy" for being happy the situation smoothed out - it seemed snarky and unnecessary

Well, I think many people in this thread were being unnecessarily snarky about Suppan being basically sent down, celebrating the downfall of this team's latest goat, not necessarily celebrating that "everything worked out." A month ago these same people would have been "happy the situation worked out" if it had been Bush or McClung going down.

If I recall, when the team was in Arizona, the brass all had a "closed door" meeting probably regarding the trade. Then I believe Haurdricourt or McCalvy reported that the head trainer Roger Caplinger was called into the meeting for the remainder of the meeting. Why would Caplinger be needed to meet on a transacation type issue?

I wonder if in fact Suppan was feeling some sort of tired arm syndrome or discomfort and thus it really pushed the Sabathia issue to a greater need. Suppan was pitching over his head earlier this season, again having a nice April/May but since that Twins start at Miller Park where he had the shortest outing of his Brewer career, he has been off. He pitched poorly in Atlanta versus a AAA lineup due to Atlanta positional injuries. He pitched even worse in Arizona, and I don't have to describe the "dung" he was throwing yesterday to the Pirates.

I hope this three week stint refreshes him for the stretch run. If not Greg Maddux here we come!

Well, I think many people in this thread were being unnecessarily snarky about Suppan being basically sent down, celebrating the downfall of this team's latest goat, not necessarily celebrating that "everything worked out." A month ago these same people would have been "happy the situation worked out" if it had been Bush or McClung going down.

Well said. I take the foresight approach on injuries and people don't seem to like that.

Archived