Brewer Fanatic

Why not Harden, too?

I'm wondering if Melvin has talked to Beane about how available Rich Harden will be as the trade deadline approaches.

After acquiring Sabathia, the starting rotation got a huge boost - I'm wondering if it's possible that the Brewers would have any interest in trading for Harden as well. I keep hearing how interested the Cubs are in him, but I think there's a big difference between being interested and actually being able to put together enough in a trade to acquire him. Unless the Cubs include several young arms from their major league roster, I don't see them having enough. The A's would probably be looking more at bats than arms, which is something the Brewers still have plenty of in their system.

Harden wouldn't be a rent-a-starter like Sabathia is, so I'm guessing it would take more to pry him away from Beane - he's shown to want to trade pitching away approaching their FA year moreso than when they're still in salary arbitration, so Harden may cost too much in terms of prospects.

What sort of package would be needed to make Beane listen? Would going after Harden be in the Brewers' best interest, factoring in how much they would need to give up? I'm thinking any trade involving Harden will depend on where the A's are at in the standings around the end of July.

A rotation led by Sheets, Sabathia, and Harden resembles more of an all-star team instead of a mid-market staff, and a rotation next season with Harden, Gallardo, and Parra anchoring it (along with Suppan, Bush, etc filling in spots 4-5) would be far from a rebuilding pitching staff.

from what i've read, it sounds like Beane is holding onto Harden unless he can get a Dan Haren type return, which is not what I think the Brewers should be doing.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

We'd end up having to give away either Gamel or Escobar to get him so I say no thanks. Plus since the cubs and Phillies want help the price will probably be pretty high. I am fine with giving up Laporta, but I dont want to have given up that many high ceiling prospects in two years (Inman, Laporta, and Gamel/Escobar)

I think a team like the Cubs could look at Haren, but I just dont know if they have the prospects to do it. Hopefully the Brewers catch them shortly after the break and the Cubs do something drastic. The rumblings are that the Phillies will get Bedard. That leaves Burnett and Harden as the best guys remaining and who knows if Harden will be available. That actually puts the Jays in a good position because they should get great value for Burnett if he is the best that is left. I dont think the Crew will go after another started except someone from San Diego maybe. They will save their trading chips either of a RP or for the off-season to try to get a top tier starter.

I wouldn't go for him, right now I think the Crew as one of the top if not the Top3 in the NL in Sheets, Sabathia, and Parra. Suppan and Bush as a #4 and #5 are certainly serviceable. If I thought the Cubs might have a chance if getting him I might change my mind but just like the Sabathia bidding, I don't think they have the ammunition to pull it off. Burnett sure, Harden I am not so certain.

I'm a huge Harden fan as several high ranking baseball officials have said that Harden's "stuff" is in the "top 2" in baseball as far as pitchers are concerned. He rarely stays healthy even over a period of a month and a half (this year being the exception). However, it would take 4 prospects to get him including 2 of our top prospects. A word to the wise...the A's haven't been this good for this long by accident. Billy Beane is the best GM in the game as far as recognizing talent. I wouldn't go near him if I was a GM because every guy he trades for seems to turn into a stud or close to it (see Dan Haren, Joe Blanton, Johnny Damon etc.) So whatever players he targets in a return for Harden other teams better take a long hard look at to wonder why Beane is interested in those guys.

With that being said...if the Brewers were able to land Harden (and he stayed healthy for the rest of the year) I would say the Brewers would be the odd's on favorite to win the World Series. Of course if they went out and got another starter like Harden they absolutely not stop there...they would immediately go out and get another reliever to solidify the bullpen, in effect, putting all their eggs in one basket to win it all this year and next.

They're reporting here in the Bay Area that the Cubs and A's are in "deep talks" for Harden, but they're going on a report from the Sun-Times, which I read this morning and didn't think seemed too pressing.

I'd be really interested in what the Cubs would have to give to Beane for him--they don't have a lot in the cupboards right now and I'd assume Beane would have to be absolutely compelled.

Regardless, a Zambrano-Harden-Lilly rotation still pales next to a Sheets-Sabathia-Parra rotation in my opinion. Not by a lot, but Harden is definitely a consolation prize.

As the article states, Beane is in a tough spot. The A's aren't in it...or are they?

One thing that cannot be questioned is, Oakland needs young hitters. I have no idea which pieces Billy will deal to address this, but they've got to make some moves, whether they're in the race, or looking at 2010.

I would assume Huston Street and Joe Blanton are available, and I've read that Mark Ellis can be had, after that, I have no idea.

Whatever happens with the Cubs, I do think Harden is the best pitcher now available, and I think his status will hold up a lot of the other arms you'll hear rumors about.

If Ellis is available, would Milwaukee think of packaging Weeks plus blocked hitting prospects (Nelson, etc) for Ellis + Harden, or Ellis + Street? Ellis would be a big defensive upgrade to Weeks for this season, and he's not that bad an offensive player - is he a free agent after this season?

I keep imagining Billy Beane calling the Brewers at the deadline and saying something to the effect of, "Remember right before you acquired CC, when you offered Villy/Brantley/Braddock/Hall for Harden? Well, that's the best we got by far. Can we still do it?"

SeriesFinale wrote

Regardless, a Zambrano-Harden-Lilly rotation still pales next to a Sheets-Sabathia-Parra rotation in my opinion. Not by a lot, but Harden is definitely a consolation prize.

Unfortunately, our lineup and scoring runs pales next to theirs.... by a lot.

Only because they got to play the Pirates so many times in the early going. If we got to hang up a 10-spot on the Pirates a few more times, our stats would look pretty similar. They've built their miniscule cosmetic lead by beating up on AAA teams. Without Zambrano, their rotation is barely .500 vs. the Central, ad that's including their matchups with the Pirates.

Archived