Brewer Fanatic

What do you do when you can't sleep?

berniebrewer4life
I have always had a very hard time sleeping at night. Tonight's no exception(mostly because i have an test on Tuesday). So my question is: What do you guys(and gals) do when ya can't sleep? Me, i surf the web, play video games, read, or go out for a walk if the weather's right.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

Really weird that I saw this post now. I'm also having major problems and have for a long time. I've thought about seeing a doctor because it's really getting out of hand. I hate the thought of sleep medications because I think they'll make me groggy all day, but I don't know how much longer I can keep doing this. I got about 3-4 hours last night and I can't fall asleep. Have to be up at 8:30.

Usually if I have a beer it helps. Not throw down a 6 pack and get wasted, but if you nurse a single beer while watching tv that seems to help. I listen to talk radio too 1130AM with Greg Norry isn't bad, 1250am is good too. Othertimes I try to think about random things that I enjoy. I also get the 1000 things racing through my head at night, that seems to block it.

a glass of milk usually does it for me, especially chocolate milk. For some reason, that stuff just completely knocks me out. If I need a nap, it's a glass of chocolate milk (hot chocolate in the winter) and I'm out within 20 minutes.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

During college I made a playlist on iTunes called ZZZ that featured mostly slow/soft songs. I turned on this playlist when getting into bed and fell asleep to it just about every night for like 2-3 years. It really helped.

Also, make sure the temperature is right in your room, and make sure it is dark enough. (or the right amount of light)

Yeah i can never fall asleep when its warm or humid.

I like it when its cold.

There is certain days when I shouldnt even attempt to sleep, I dont know why I never can but the night before the first day of football practice and the first day of school suck.

I also can never fall asleep at places other than my bed. It sucks.

I usually have to bring this old fan with me to make a noise, and kinda get rid of the other sounds that would bother me.

Community Moderator

I have the same issue.

I'm not tired when it's 'time to go to bed' but in the middle of the afternoon, I can fall asleep instantly. If I fall to the temptation of a nap, it just makes things worse at night, but if I don't take a nap, I'm useless for most of the day because I'm tired.

Running is the best cure that I have found. I still take my nap, but then throwing in a nice 5 mile run in the evening makes it easier to fall asleep.

Until about a week ago I was going through a MEAN bout of insomnia for about 1.5 months. Sometimes there was stuff on my mind, but mostly I just couldn't fall asleep. I tried reading crappy books, watching TV, walking my dog, listening to music, etc... but nothing seemed to work. I set up a doctors appointment but they couldn't get me in until next week. I'll probably cancel it if my problem doesn't come back. I tried to ramp up my work out routine (and by 'ramp it up" I mean that I started doing somthing) and monitor my food a little bit better. I screwed that up originally by working out too close to my sleep attempts while my adrenaline was still pumping. It is hard to force yourself to go in the morning when you are super tired from only 2 hours of sleep, but that really seemed to help me out.

Try reading while laying on your back and resting your head on a substantial pillow. This works because you naturally constrict some of the airflow to your lungs due to the "bend/kink" in your throat. Strange? Yes. Does it work? Yep, for me it does...
@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

I've never been able to sleep good, if i sleep 6 hours in a night that's a marathon session for me, but my body has become used to not sleeping.

I read a lot though, so some nights when i'm not tired at all even though i should be, i get my book out and that helps a bit. It's weird because i'm so used to little sleep, if on the rare night i sleep 7-8 hours, i usually feel tired and sluggish the rest of that day and crave a nap.

I second the working out thing. I had allllll sorts of issues with sleeping in high school, but when I got to college I started a workout regimen and my sleep issues dissapeared. I'm out within about 3 minutes of my head hitting the pillow every night.

I used to have a serious problem falling asleep at night, but if I'm not doing anything active during the day AND having any kind of caffeine then I find that I have way more problems sleeping at night. Not calling you all lazy, but I would suggest doing things to make sure you're tired at night. Eat a regular diet, with some exercise, and maybe that will help. It certainly helped me sleep better. I was never one of those people that would fall asleep watching a movie, or tv, like all of my friends would. I still really am not that way, but I do have an easier time sleeping at night then I used to because I eat 3 meals a day and I get regular exercise and I'm busy during the day.

Archived