Brewer Fanatic

Hopefully Melvin is not done...

For those who've mentioned that Hardy and Ecobar are certain to stay barring a blockbuster, I think you undervalue what BRob brings to the table. Regardless, Weeks doesn't get it done, not nearly. I just don't see Weeks "leading" this lineup into the playoffs. He should be batting 7th, but is an unfortunate choice at the top of the lineup due to lack of anyone able to handle that role.

I'm curious how you feel about Gamels' ability to man 1B permanently? I'd move him to 1B the rest of the year at AAA and see if he can handle it defensively, as 3B seems too difficult for him.

I ask because of the repeated mention of dealing away Fielder. So, in a round-about way... what are your thoughts on Prince and his future as a Brewer?

I think you overvalue Roberts in relation to the Brewers as they can take care of the middle IF in house if they so choose. Roberts is a fantastic player, but the Crew wouldn't resign him, he'd only be here a year. Is that worth a top prospect or two only to have him sign with the Cubs?

As an organization the biggest holes aftter the Sabathia trade (which included Taylor Green a 3B, 2B prospect) are 3B (because of Hall), 2B (Weeks could still turn it around), and Pitching. The immediate need for the big club is starting pitching, the cream of crop is going to get moved for pitching, in that I have no doubt. It's entirely possible that Hardy, Weeks, or Fielder get moved to aquire pitching this offseason, in which case Gamel and Escobar's services are immediately required on the big league level. Every other team wants Gamel and Escobar, rightly so, but they are far too valuable to the Brewers to be moved for players approaching the end of their deals. To move either, the Brewers need players they can control for mulitple years. Of the guys you mentioned, Sherril is only player that matches up exactly with what the Brewers would be looking for, a quality player in a position of need that they can control for multiple years.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I am pretty sure I would do Weeks, Escobar, + More Prospects for Jeremy Guthrie, Bradford, and Brian Roberts in a heart beat. I don't know if the Orioles would be interested at all in moving him though. I guess it would depend who the other prospects would be. I beleive Guthrie is under team control for quite a while yet and Bradford I believe is singed through at least next year so as long as that is the case I would be pretty interested.

"The Sabathia trade might not be the Brewers' last before July 31 -- they have shown interest in the Giants' Jack Taschner, a left-handed reliever, and Ray Durham, a switch-hitter whom they would use off the bench."

This is from Rosenthals latest column. I like the idea of getting Ray Durham, but at this point he might be our starting 2nd baseman before long. I would take his .380+ OBP at leadoff right about now

Durham would be a great bench option, and I would imagine he'd get some starts.

His range in the field is positively gone at this point, imagine the reaction to Rickie Weeks coming in as a defensive replacement.

If Melvin doesn't find an infielder with a LH bat, I will gladly take Mark Grudzielanek that I proposed a few weeks back in a thread under his name. His line is still holding up well (.313/.368/.418). His contract expires at the end of this year and he plays excellent defense. I personally think that if Rickie doesn't get it going soon before the end of July he will be outrighted to Nashville and a minor trade for Grudz or Durham will be made.

Isn't anybody else concerned about making too many deals prior to the deadline. I can't seem to recall a team making 3 mid-season deals to make a playoff run. We just added an excellent starting pitcher for the rest of the year, don't get too greedy. I want to win, but perhaps we are in the best position right now.

The only thing I see happening is one of those after-the-deadline deals that always seem to occur.

"The Sabathia trade might not be the Brewers' last before July 31 -- they have shown interest in the Giants' Jack Taschner, a left-handed reliever, and Ray Durham, a switch-hitter whom they would use off the bench."

This is from Rosenthals latest column. I like the idea of getting Ray Durham, but at this point he might be our starting 2nd baseman before long. I would take his .380+ OBP at leadoff right about now

I was thinking about Durham last week. He's old and injury prone, but he'd be great to rotate into 2B if Rickie can't get it together. And I'm sure he could be had for cheap.

Isn't anybody else concerned about making too many deals prior to the deadline. I can't seem to recall a team making 3 mid-season deals to make a playoff run. We just added an excellent starting pitcher for the rest of the year, don't get too greedy. I want to win, but perhaps we are in the best position right now.

The only thing I see happening is one of those after-the-deadline deals that always seem to occur.

The 2004 Red Sox acquired Eyechart, Orlando Cabrera and Dave Roberts in 2 deals.

Ray Durham to me would be a pretty good fit for the Crew. He probably would not cost us very much to get in terms of players, and his OBP would go great at the top of the batting order. He is getting older and his defense is not what it used to be but to have somebody get on base a little more consistantly in front of our 2-3-4-5 hitters would be a big boost to the offense.

Archived