Brewer Fanatic

Hopefully Melvin is not done...

Let's not stop here. Remember, CC can only go out there and pitch every 5 days. There are still issues with the consistancy of our everyday lineup. Runs scored/Runs against are pretty even, and if it wasn't for our success in 1 run games we might not be all that excited. Rickie is killing us at the top of the lineup. If something can be done for Roberts that would be huge. Maybe Rickie plus a mid level. Although a lot has been mentioned about obtaining another bullpen arm, I would not do anything like last year. We might be OK there.

why would you trade Bush now? The guy is a stud right now and we really wouldnt get anything much back for him. Plus Salome?

Geez. Catchers that hit + .330 with power in pitcher park leagues are hard to find. I dont think you deal him for a reliever and a 89 year old pitcher.

At this point, I dont see the need for another starter unless you can get one on the cheap (for say a Errecart or Nelson). A would love a reliever, but not someone you have to trade a top 10 prospect for. If Gagne can keep up the success he's had since coming off the DL, he could be the 8th inning guy.

I also, though, would love to see Nelson up, along with Gywnn, and a few others.

Mass provided a link on the minor league forum that included an interview with Gord Ash in which he stated they were actively pursuing not only a starter, but also a bullpen arm and a left-handed bat for the lineup. The comment about the left-handed bat for the lineup was interesting because it read almost as though they were looking for a player that would be in the lineup everyday.

I certainly don't expect the Brewers to be over making moves. It doesn't seem as though they're giving up too much for Sabathia, as they still have plenty of ammo to go out and get a few other key pieces for the second half stretch.

http://forum.brewerfan.net/viewtopic.php?t=13898

"I can't comment on (Sabathia) specifically other than to say that starting pitching is at a premium, and we don't have any depth there. We would also like to add another arm to our bullpen and another left-handed bat to our lineup."

My thinking was

A. Greg Maddux is probably better than Bush on most days but Bush at his best (like his last start) he is better than Maddux

B. Heath Bell would be a huge addition to our bullpen

C. Salome is expendable to me because of LuCroy and possibly Lawrie (Plus his defensive questions)

Maddux could be had for Gwynn straight up, if they want him.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Hmmm...Brian Roberts bats LH. Of course that's because he's a switch hitter, so he bats both.

Another switch hitter who is strong from the left side is Ray Durham.

And Brian Giles would be a heck of a LH bat if we went the OF route.

"I can't comment on (Sabathia) specifically other than to say that starting pitching is at a premium, and we don't have any depth there. We would also like to add another arm to our bullpen and another left-handed bat to our lineup."

I read this yesterday, or this morning, too and thought exactly the same thing about the left handed bat. He makes it sound like a starter, but where would this lefty play? The only real options are center (a small possibility) and second.

The idea of adding a LH bat to the lineup is interesting. The only positions I could see them replacing a full-time player at are 2nd, 3rd or an outfield spot (keeping Hart and Braun and possibly shifting Hart to center if needed). Looking at sOPS+ for team stats by position (via baseball-reference.com), we're actually doing pretty well in the outfield (118, 110 and 112) and the 3rd base platoon is working pretty well (106 on the year and probably better since adding Branyan). So that leaves 2nd base (79)...

Is it time to give up on Weeks? Brian Roberts is a switch hitter and could immediately turn 2nd base into a well above average position for this team for the rest of this year and next year (128 OPS+ this year, 139, 96, 112 the previous three seasons). We might kick ourselves during Weeks final two seasons before becoming a free agent, but Roberts is probably a more reliable option for the next year and a half. I'm really on the fence on this one, as Weeks could still get hot like he did at the end of last year.

If nothing else, I still would like us to get Maddux on the cheap. As for relievers, I'd be willing to gamble with what we have, but obviously wouldn't be opposed to getting another solid option for the pen.

This is exciting!

Hmmm...Brian Roberts bats LH. Of course that's because he's a switch hitter, so he bats both.

The main reason for wanting a lefty bat is for when they face righties, so he is a lefty bat. Plus, I doubt Gord would say they are looking to add a switch hitter to the line up if they were actually targeting Roberts, which I hope they are

The only thing on the Orioles is, they seem to have their hearts set on adding a shortstop. I'm not sure that the Brewers would give them Hardy or Escobar at the moment, I think if one of those players is dealt, it will be for a pitcher, and likely after this season.

"See Cleveland, we have other needs we want to fill."

Could just be posturing.

Orioles fan and recently new to the board...

We at the OriolesHangout.com have been discussing the Brewers as a viable trade partner for a few months now and still see some possibilities even after the Sabathia deal.

Players that could possibly be had and among those the Brewers could covet...

Brian Roberts, Switch-hitting 2B'man (30) > Tremendous player and community ambassador, great leadoff man, very good glove, .295 BA, 7 HR's, 32 RBI, 24/31 SB's, .373 OBP/.493 SLG/.866 OPS... all at 2B and causing havoc at the top of the order and not a FA until the end of the '09 season. Hardy or Escobar would be required to pry BRob away.

Luke Scott, Lefty Corner OF'er (30) > Solid all-atround lefty bat, .265 BA, 14 HR's, 34 RBI, .339 OBP/.498 SLG/.837 OPS...good clubhouse guy and solid power hitter. Under team control cheap for a few more years.

Aubrey Huff, Lefty 1B'man/3B'man (31) > Big year from Huff, .281 BA, 17 HR's, 54 RBI, .344 OBP/.523 SLG/.867 OPS... our most consistant power threat this year, he is signed at $8m next year and is a FA at the end of the season.

George Sherrill, Lefty Closer (31) > AL All-Star Closer, 27/32 Saves, 38.2 IP, 3.72 ERA, 22 BB's/41 K's, .220 BAA... excellent reliever as a setup man or closer. IUnder team control for a few more years and cheap.

GP, Hardy & Escobar are going absolutely nowhere, during the season that is. Balt will have to accept some type of a prospect package or take Weeks if its Roberts, if its Sherrill then its prospects, sorry if any bubbles were burst http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Having Hall and his 6 mil per year contract would hang up aquiring an expensive 3B, I'm not sure about Huff.

Roberts would be for Weeks straight up I'd have to think, he'd be 1 year solution for us, maybe a lower level prospect thrown in.

I'm not sure how Luke Scott would fit into the Brewers plans, his only asset is that he's a LH hitter, Hart and Braun are both more productive, and the Brewer's system is absolutely loaded with bats. We need pitching.

Sherill could have a nice role, Gagne will be gone, maybe that opens door for Luis Pena (thought of as our closer to be), but I would think aquiring starting pitching would be the priority over the bullpen.

What do you think it would take to get any of the 3 players I'l list below? The text was taken from a post I make about finding longterm rotation solutions.

David Hernandez and/or Bradley Bergesen I like Chris Tillman as well but he's not very economical with his pitches which is why I didn't include him initially. I wouldn't mind picking up 2 of these 3 AA pitchers in a deal. Baltimore needs SS, 3B, and OF help.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I'm not sure what the Rockies need but I would really like to get Fuentes for the second half of this season. Another starter would be nice but I'm not sure how Maddux would do in Miller Park with our not-so-great defense.

good thoughts GP. I think the Crew could be a trade partner, but not likely the names you mention. The Crew has a lot of good names aside from those first thought of in these trade rumors.

The Brewers aren't likely to deal for Luke Scott or Huff, because they have the #1 hottest lefty bat in the minors right now in Mat Gamel that plays 3B (poorly) and is athletic enough to fill a corner OF spot this year.

Hardy is a vital part of this year's team, with a couple of years left as well, so it wouldnt make sense to trade him for Roberts at all. Weeks plus a good prospect would be a good trade as Weeks has a few years and upside left. Escobar is pretty much untouchable as he will likely be the SS of the future for the franchise, and they could move JJ to 2B.

The Huntsville AA club is loaded up and down with hitting prospects, so there are some serious trading chips there. Three of the top prospects are catchers, and they won't all play, so I think Angel Salome straight up is a possibility.

Here is a little past/present list of AA players:

Mat Gamel .378/.440/.631 (1.071)

Matt Laporta .291/.405/.582 (.987)

Ryan Braun .303/.367/.589 (.956)

Angel Salome .330/.385/.502 (.887)

Cole Gillespie .276/.374/.508 (.882)

Chris Errecart .288/.360/.506 (.866)

Prince Fielder .272/.366/.473 (.839)

Michael Brantley .324/.403/.412 (.815)

Corey Hart .302/.340/.467 (.807) (LEAGUE MVP)

JJ Hardy .279/.367/.428 (.795)

Alcides Escobar .327/.349/444 (.793)

Rickie Weeks .259/.366/.407 (.773)

Personally, I'm terrified of how Maddux would fare with the Brewers' defense behind him.

I would love Fuentes. He'd be your second lefty, getting Stetter out of town, and he'd be a great "8th inning guy" for Ned to use while pushing Shouse/Villy into 7th inning duty.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Archived