Brewer Fanatic

If you are Doug Melvin: Sheets or Sabathia this offseason?

bullox

Given his lack of an injury history, and the fact he is 27, I'd be willing to give Sabathia a five-year deal with an option for two more years ($15 million/year for the five years, a $10 million bonus, and a $20 million/year in the option years).

Sheets, OTOH, may warrant only four years at $14 million/year, with $18 million for the option.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Given his lack of an injury history, and the fact he is 27, I'd be willing to give Sabathia a five-year deal with an option for two more years ($15 million/year for the five years, a $10 million bonus, and a $20 million/year in the option years).

Sheets, OTOH, may warrant only four years at $14 million/year, with $18 million for the option.

Again Sheets 5yr/$90m and Sabathia at 7yr/$160 is the ballpark,

• 4 weeks later...
I stand by my thought of wanting Sheets back and CC gone. CC will cost way more and he has much more tread on the tires not to mention his weight issues. We need a legit number one starter to compete year in and year out and Ben Sheets fills that bill.

My heart is with CC, I think he is a better pitcher and younger. Issue is he will cost more money and wants to get to the west coast.

My mind tells me Sheets, he will cheaper and has been around for a while with this team. Concern is he goes back to his Brittle Ben days.

Boy, going over 5 years is a crazy risk for this franchise. If either could be signed for 5 years or less ($100-120) I suppose keeping one would be ok...but those 4 picks are pretty darn valuable too.

part of the reason i think we should look into resigning Sheets is that there really aren't any FA starters out there of anywhere-near equal calibur besides CC. but then if we're saving money on Sheets, we really don't have the black holes on offense that would really warrant signing an expensive hitter.

CC has had a hot month, and Ben, a less hot month. Sheets was a lot better in April though. I think that if we're going to get either of them, it will be Sheets, as he'll likely be a little bit cheaper having injury history over the past few years. If they can get him, that would make me feel a lot more confident about the rotation rather than putting it all on Yovanni, Parra, and Suppan.

I don't believe the team will sign either, but if they should make a run at someone, it should be C.C. He's younger, more durable and a much better pitcher. Sheets would be wasted money as he has yet to put together a good and consistent season. He starts his seasons off great and then cools off the second half or gets injured. No thanks. As for C.C., it would be great if they could get him signed to a 5 year deal, but that is unlikely. No pitcher is worth the risk of signing to more than 5 years.

personally, I think we have a better shot at signing Sabathia. I've read he's not a "coast"-type person. He wants to hit. And it probably can't hurt that the Brewers have one of the more African-American friendly clubhouses. I hate to bring up race, but it's a fact that most people prefer being places they are comfortable.

With Sheets, we know he wants money, and we know he probably doesn't want to hit.

When the trade happened, ESPN or Foxsports.com (one of the outlets) said that he was not the kind of person to seek the spotlights of the coast, but rather might enjoy playing in the middle of the country

Archived