Brewer Fanatic

If you are Doug Melvin: Sheets or Sabathia this offseason?

bullox

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If CC does his best "Randy Johnson '01" impression down the stretch and in the playoffs, could he actually get a 10 year/$200+ deal? His age wouldn't preclude it, though his conditioning could, but he has phenomenal numbers and has been an ace since he arrived on the scene. As for Sheets, after this trade, I believe we really have to lock him up. It would be hard enough losing one, let alone both now. Sheets. Sheets. Sheets. His injury history shouldn't dissuade us from offering him 5 years/$75. He is Milwaukee's Golden Boy.

Sheets is being run into the ground this year (BP has him #1 in pitcher abuse points) and CC was run into the ground last year and will be again this year. I'm not sure signing either one would be smart for a team like Milwaukee where an unusable $15-20 million per year would cripple the franchise.

If I'm Doug, I might see who else was available this offseason and sign a couple cheaper guys. Gallardo and Parra are young enough to improve so they might still have an ace or two.

Neither one will be re-signed. Get used to that thought...

Weeks and players to SF for Cain and Escobar comes up, JJ scoots over and we have a 2b that hits more than .207...

Cain

Parra

Yo

Suppan

Bush

worst case scenario is not so bad...

Neither one will be re-signed. Get used to that thought...

That's a pretty bold statement. Let's say the Brewers get to the playoffs (not necessarily win it all, just make the playoffs). They'll have extra revenue from that, plus the payroll that is already going to Sheets and Sabathia...also, Gagne is leaving, and probably Cameron and others. They'll have money to sign a top tier pitcher, assuming they want to (which they will). There's only so many teams with so much money to tie into a starting pitcher. Believe it or not, snatching up every top pitcher is beyond even the means of the Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs, and Angels, etc.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

we still have to make the playoffs though!!!!! MAN I LOVE THE BREWERS!!!!!

id take sheets, he could offer the hometown discount and is probably the better pitcher.

there isnt a possibilty for both is there? i doubt it. but imagine our rotation for the next couple of years.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I see a lot of people thinking that Sheets will take a "hometown" discount, and I just honestly don't see that happening. Especially given his comments of late. This is probably his last shot at a HUGE payday, and he'd be stupid to not cash it in for all he's worth.

I'm starting to think Attanasio is wealthier far beyond what we have believed up until now. For that reason, I think anything is possiible.

What does Mark A's wealth have to do with anything?

I would hope he's not going to let the team lose money, and would operate it in a fiscally responsible manner longterm. Otherwise he just has a play toy and the franchise will be worse off financially than when he bought it. If he's in it for the long haul, he didn't make his money by overspending his income, he know how to handle money.

This market generates a finite maximum amount of income. Unless they raise ticket prices 25% across the board, where is this money going to come from? They tapped every revenue stream they can since Mark A took over, and attendance is already pushing 3 Mil. A new TV contract will help some, but the Brewers are doing great being the smallest market with an average payroll (I've seen reports of 15th and 17th biggest payroll). How much farther can they realistically go?

The Brewers can probably afford 4 year deal, but in those last 2 years the budget is going to be awful thin. Any large market team that wants Sheets or Sabathia will just add years, and I'm sorry but I want no part of paying a 36 year old Ben Sheets at 18 mil per year. Again this a guy who's only pitched over 170 innings 3 times in his entire career, he's not a work horse like Santana or Sabathia has been, and someone is going to overpay him. If they are going sign a free agent, hitters are typically the much safer bet, and Melvin is not Taylor so don't even go to the Hammond card.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Sheets. He'd be more willing to take at least a minor pay cut to stay with the Brewers. He had been thirsting to win with this team for years and he leaves just when things are starting to get interesting? He's got business interests in Milwaukee tying him here like the Admirals. He has at least one child who'd have to change schools. And I doubt he's incredibly motivated by getting absolute top dollar over any other factors like so many athletes today. I mean small things like fantasy football and wearing Saints' helmets in interviews ala Ricky Williams titillate him. Sheets because he'll be more affordable.

Both, darnit http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif (Sheets, for the record.)

I know it won't happen, but imagine if they could sign both-

Sheets

Sabathia

Gallardo

Parra

Suppan

Sick.

I'm all for both. Offer Ben six years, $75 million, give CC six years, $90 million. Put the offers on the table Wednesday.

I would sign whoever is willing to take 4 or fewer years(preferably 3 with an option in the 4th), below market, non franchise crippling contract. My bet is neither.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived