Brewer Fanatic

CC Sabathia to the Brewers for Matt LaPorta, Zach Jackson, Rob Bryson, and Michael Brantley

And That

this may not be the appropriate thread for this, but I wish people would stop asking about Gallardo and his "coming back" date in the fall. It will not happen. If it does, (a) he is a modern medical miracle, a freak-of-nature, if you will, and (b) he will likely be VERY ineffective after having no real arm strength from not throwing all summer. And, I guess, © he will greatly be at risk to re-injure that knee and/or do something structurally to his arm.

He will be back in full swing in the spring. End of story.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

• Replies 919
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just hope "two lower-level minor leaguers" = guys we won't care about, long term.

Overall, though, this is an ok roll of the dice. Now, about second base....

I have a sinking suspicion that Taylor Green may be one of them...

When is Yovanni back? It's going to be a sick rotation this fall.

Imagine if the Crew can sign Sheets and Sabathia to four-year deals in the offseason... that rotation would be unstoppable next year!

Sabathia, Sheets, Gallardo, Parra, Suppan

Imagine Suppan as the 5th starter. Wouldn't that rotation be AWESOME????

suppan is now the weakest link in our starting rotation imo

He is also the biggest roadblock to re-signing Sheets or CC next year. I hope Bill Hall goes on an absolute tear the rest of the year so we can win the world series, package Hall / Suppan to get rid of $18 million in payroll and re-sign Sheets and pick up two draft picks for CC..

Yes I dreaming but if you can't dream tonight when can you?

WSSP was wrong. They thought Green and Cain played on West Virginia and Sparky reported they were both out of that lineup.

Sparky is a sharp guy. Really up to speed with the Brewers.

this may not be the appropriate thread for this, but I wish people would stop asking about Gallardo and his "coming back" date in the fall. It will not happen. If it does, (a) he is a modern medical miracle, a freak-of-nature, if you will, and (b) he will likely be VERY ineffective after having no real arm strength from not throwing all summer. And, I guess, © he will greatly be at risk to re-injure that knee and/or do something structurally to his arm.

He will be back in full swing in the spring. End of story.

Didn't Gallardo himself hope that he could come back in September? If he did, it certainly wouldn't be as a starter, but I can see him coming back as a bullpen guy that is used carefully, ala the Joba rules last fall. I don't think anyone is counting on it, but it's fun to think about.

You think Melvin made this move because he doesn't want to be fired? Melvin is well respected in baseball, he won't have trouble finding a job if his time in Milwaukee ends. I get the feeling that Mark A not only approves this deal, but may be pushing for it to happen. I don't think he's going to blame Melvin for a move that he wanted. This isn't the Wilpons and the Kazmir situation.

Sure Melvin will get a job but he might never get another GM job. He did very little for the Rangers and he would have failed to get the Brewers to the playoffs despite having the best rookie offensive season ever, the youngest player to hit 50 home runs and a top ten pitcher.

Brantley is 100 percent not in the trade.
Good to hear.

Thanks for the updates Agent39. I really hope the best for Taylor Green. He seemed like a great kid - always glowing reports about his work ethic. I think he would have been great in Milwaukee and the fans would have loved him.

But if the Brewers had to trade him - then I wish him the best of luck in Cleveland.

Suppan is pitching like a 5th starter. Probably worst. im surprised nobody has threw his name out as the odd man out. Given his contract it will not happen, but he hasnt performed in a month.

Imagine if the Crew can sign Sheets and Sabathia to four-year deals in the offseason... that rotation would be unstoppable next year!

Sabathia, Sheets, Gallardo, Parra, Suppan

Imagine Suppan as the 5th starter. Wouldn't that rotation be AWESOME????

Its also so improbable that its not really worth posting.

Joe Morgan is unaware of compensation picks (paraphrase):

'That's a big risk [getting CC], because you can't re-sign Sheets or Sabathia, & you're giving away all your prospects'

I'll amend BtA's worthy advice once upon a time & say, "If Joe Morgan can find work, anyone can find work"

Anyway, I just don't agree that adding Sabathia does anything more than add a stellar SP arm. That's what makes a team better, not feeling warm & toasty imo.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Joe Morgan just stated that he thinks this trade is not worth the risk with the Brewers losing LaPorta and not being able to sign Sabbathia. For what it's worth.

Joe Morgan is behind about 26 members here that I would go to for analysis first.

Endaround, Melvin built a quality team in Texas, which the owner screwed up. After the owner scapegoated Melvin, the owner hired an all new and better GM that has traded away Edinson Volquez and John Danks, and generally set the organization back 10 years.

Sure Melvin will get a job but he might never get another GM job. He did very little for the Rangers and he would have failed to get the Brewers to the playoffs despite having the best rookie offensive season ever, the youngest player to hit 50 home runs and a top ten pitcher.

That's not an answer to the question. Do you think that Melvin made a move, not because he thinks it is the best move for this team right now, but he because he is actively thinking about the possibility of being fired?

Archived