Brewer Fanatic

CC Sabathia to the Brewers for Matt LaPorta, Zach Jackson, Rob Bryson, and Michael Brantley

And That
  • Replies 919
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does anybody know a link for information regarding Compensatory picks?

What exactly do you want to know? Nothing is set until the Elias ratings and teams sign players

There's got to be written rules depending on what happens.

This could be egg-on-face.

I think between TH being on it and ESPN being on it, we're safe. I'm thinking the Indians are just delaying it so they can have their grand press conference tomorrow announcing the deal.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

I'm late to the party (was out of town all weekend, and then got to see the Brewers beat the Pirates today, and also found out my favorite player was voted in as a starter on the All Star team). To me this trade is a no brainer. The Brewers are trading a guy who is still in AA (along with a couple other players) for the reigning AL Cy Young winner. Hard to say no to that one. It's time to go for it, and the Brewers are going for it. What a great day.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Does anybody know a link for information regarding Compensatory picks?

We're getting a sandwich pick in between the first and second round for sure. If a top 15 team record wise signs Sabathia we get their first round picks. If a team that has one of the 15 worst records in baseball then we do not get a first round pick but instead that teams' second round pick.

Olney just confirmed it on Baseball Tonight! They had a picture of Sabathia on the left side then the words "Sabathia traded to the Brewers." with the Brewers logo on the right side.

Yet you defended a worse trade last year. This is a no brainer

What trade are you talking about? Linebrink? You must be confusing me with someone else. And we don't even know who the other prospects involved are, so to call it a "no brainer" is a tad premature.

Yes they could have and it would have had less of an impact. And the whole two ace thing is really overblown since the variation of one game is so great. This gives you 2-3 games while anyone else would have at best been one game improvement this season. This was to make the playoffs after coming close last year.

So you believe this is the thinking of the front office, and that they decided LaPorta was worth the difference of one regular season game?

Beautiful!!! I hate to lose Matt, and he will have a great career, but this is the time you've got to pull the trigger on the deal, get as many starts as you can from him, and steam roll past those Cubs and Cards!!

Well done Doug!!

Rickey

I have to agree Rickey, stinks to lose Matt and he is gonna be a stud 1B or OF. But this just had to get done and it is HUGE.

Oh and nice Greg Vaughn jersey today!

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

And we don't even know who the other prospects involved are, so to call it a "no brainer" is a tad premature.

Well, assuming the reports are true and it's LaPorta with a couple lower level guys (not Gamel/Escobar/Salome/etc), I think it is safe.

Would you rather the Brewers had just forgotten about a "2 or 3 game difference" and did nothing, or perhaps traded less for a lesser pitcher?

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

So you believe this is the thinking of the front office, and that they decided LaPorta was worth the difference of one regular season game?

I think you are undervaluing the worth of one marginal game when you are at 85 wins. Also for those other pitchers on notch down (ie Bedard, Harden) you would still likely have to give up LaPorta because of the years remaining on their contracts.

EDIT:And yes Melvin has to know if he doesn't make the playoffs this year combined with not having Sheets next year making the playoffs in 2009 difficult it might mean unemployment.

Would you rather the Brewers had just forgotten about a "2 or 3 game difference" and did nothing, or perhaps traded less for a lesser pitcher?

Contending it's not a no brainer = I hate the trade. How logical.

Let me go down the list of how great this day was for me:

It is my 26th Bday.

I sat 3B side 12th row at the game today that the Brewers crushed the Pirates.

Got a Barrel Man bobble.

Braun and Sheets both named to the All-Star team with Hart as a final vote guy.

We are now in lead of the wild card.

We traded for CC Sabathia.

We still have Gamel, Escobar and Salome.

What an amazing day, I doubt I will forget this Bday for quite sometime.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

If the deal really is LaPorta, Green and LuCroy, then I am just hoping that something else is coming the Brewers way. I have no problem giving up LaPorta for the 3 months of Sabathia. I do, however, think that giving up LuCroy and Green is alot for compensatory picks. I know that isn't as cut and dried as that, but, nonetheless it is how I look at the trade.

I hope that someday in the future, I will overhear a Cubs fan saying, 'CC bleeping Sabathia!'

Gonna go drop by nsbb.com... even with the picture sigs & Cubs fans

Don't wake them up over there...they haven't noticed us sneaking up on them yet. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Archived