Brewer Fanatic

CC Sabathia to the Brewers for Matt LaPorta, Zach Jackson, Rob Bryson, and Michael Brantley

And That
  • Replies 919
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On the surface I like this trade, if it doesn't include Green, Braddock, or Jeffress. If it does we damn well better go to the world series or this wouldn't have been worth it.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Here is what Shapiro said in that Cleveland Web site article which was posted at 7:23 Eastern time.

"General manager Mark Shapiro confirmed that the Indians are in negotiations about a trade involving Sabathia.

"Obviously," Shapiro said, "we've made some progress."

Shapiro stopped short of confirming a rumor from a Major League source that the Indians and Brewers have completed a trade in which Sabathia, the reigning American League Cy Young Award winner, would be sent to Milwaukee for Double-A outfielder Matt LaPorta and two other prospects.

"It is definitively not a done deal," Shapiro said. "I won't comment on what point it's at or how far along [it is]."

http://cleveland.indians.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080706&content_id=3080671&vkey=news_cle&fext=.jsp&c_id=cle

Why would you be shocked? One thing I've been mulling over is that if teh Brewers make the playoffs the added revenue from the playoffs and next year's attendance would mean being able to sign Sheets. If the Brewers don't make the playoffs, no Sheets next year. In which case makign the playoffs becomes very important.

The Brewers could have tried to make a trade for a pitcher to improve the rotation without giving up LaPorta. One of the formulas for postseason success is two ace type pitchers that will make 4 starts in a series. You win those starts, you win the series.

As far as playoff revenue, I think some people overestimate that. I read an article that said the Tigers and Cardinals only got about $7 million for making it to the WS.

No comment right now. Sorry.

Sounds like a 'Yes' to me. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Big deal, and honestly, for both teams. Doug always shoots for win-win deals.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

That's an interesting comparison. I don't think CC is '01 RJ good, but it still gets me all hot & bothered as a comp.

I don't think we really appreciate how good CC is pitching right now. If you take away his first few starts (which were pretty bad), CC has been pitching like a Cy Young winner since April 17th:

ERA: 2.18

WHIP: 0.99

K/9IP: 9.52

K/BB: 6.41

Move him to the NL (with no DH) and a group of hitters unfamiliar with him and I see a significant upgrade to Bush/McClung. This easily makes the Brewers the frontrunners for the Wild-Card and gives them a shot at beating out the Cubs for the division.

Great move by Melvin & Co.

I expect Mcclung to be the odd man out because he's never pitched more than 110 innings in the majors and if he remained a starter he'd be on track for another 14-15 starts which could theoretically put him at 130-160 IP for the year depending on how those starts go. I believe Mcclung will go back to the pen and Bush will remain in the rotation for IP considerations mostly and since Mcclung has exprience in the pen, an area that needs upgrading before 7/31.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I don't like putting conditions on a trade, like "if we don't do (X), it wasn't worth it" There's no guarantee on anything, but at the very least, you have to take a shot when your window of opportunity is open. If a playoff spot was guaranteed, they wouldn't play the games.

My brother in law in Cleveland is saying that radio in Cleveland is reporting that the two other players with Matt LaPorta are 3B Taylor Green and C Jonathan Lucroy.

WTH? Arrggh, Doug needs to value prospects more.

My brother in law in Cleveland is saying that radio in Cleveland is reporting that the two other players with Matt LaPorta are 3B Taylor Green and C Jonathan Lucroy.

Nobody knows who the other players are yet except for the teams. Thats a bad report.

Nobody knows who the other players are yet except for the teams. Thats a bad report.

I sure hope your right. As soon as Lucroy touches AA, his status skyrockets past the likes of Brantley and Green, probably Salome too.

The Brewers could have tried to make a trade for a pitcher to improve the rotation without giving up LaPorta. One of the formulas for postseason success is two ace type pitchers that will make 4 starts in a series. You win those starts, you win the series.

As far as playoff revenue, I think some people overestimate that. I read an article that said the Tigers and Cardinals only got about $7 million for making it to the WS.

Yes they could have and it would have had less of an impact. And the whole two ace thing is really overblown since the variation of one game is so great. This gives you 2-3 games while anyone else would have at best been one game improvement this season. This was to make the playoffs after coming close last year.

I think the man who will be moved is McClung. But you have to admit, our bullpen is upgraded as well with the move of McClung to the bullpen. As for the addition of CC, I was against it when it was rumors but I'm for it now that it has come to be.

Lucroy was a name that I wasn't expecting and for some reason never considered, that would be 3 top flight position player prospects 1 being a catcher... The Brewers would have way over paid to make this happen, my goodness.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I gotta be honest, I'm not liking reading articles that this is not a done deal and here we are on post #139 (or more).

This could be egg-on-face.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Beautiful!!! I hate to lose Matt, and he will have a great career, but this is the time you've got to pull the trigger on the deal, get as many starts as you can from him, and steam roll past those Cubs and Cards!!

Well done Doug!!

Rickey

Great move by Melvin & Co.

Agreed, and he can hit, too. Perfect deal -- imo -- for both sides. Thank you Doug/Gord/Z/Mark/etc.!

This has yet to sink in for me. I'd imagine that will come the first time I see this guy pitch in a Brewers uniform, blowing guys away with mid-90s heat & a BB rate around, oh, I don't know... Sheets.

EDIT: I wish Melvin knew how to evaluate pitching. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived