Brewer Fanatic

CC Sabathia to the Brewers for Matt LaPorta, Zach Jackson, Rob Bryson, and Michael Brantley

And That
How can Bush be moved to the Bullpen with the way he has been pitching vs. Suppan or McClung? I bet it is McClung that is moved to the Bullpen.

Yeah I'm okay with Bush staying and McClung to the pen. Seth did a nice job there before moving to the rotation.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

• Replies 919
  • Created
  • Last Reply
rluzinski wrote:
I just hope that Brewer fans realize that this acquisition should be expected to translate into around 2 more wins over the rest of the season. If those two games are the difference between missing and making the playoffs, obviously it was worth it.
I would be shocked if LaPorta was given up for the goal of making the playoffs. CC was targeted because he is the only available ace and a playoff rotation of Sheets, CC and Parra as the first 3 is a rotation that can reach the WS.

(fixed code--1992)

This trade might increase the chances of making the playoffs by 10-15% (admittedly, just a wild guess on my part on what the 2 games adds) and increases the chance of winning every 4th playoff game by about 10%. Does that make it worth trading LaPorta? Hell if I know. I wouldn't call an argument on either side wrong.

Exactly, Russ. I like your thinking. This may very well become a trade that we talk about for years like Vuke, Fingers, and Simmons for DiPino, Bass, and Lezcano. Or it may turn into a trade that we talk about for years like Sheffield for Mieske, Valentin, and Bones or Vaughn for Newfield, Villone, and Florie.

We just don't know right now, but I am so willing to take that chance. It's way better than going the "status quo" and hoping you make it while not gambling on the future. For all we know, Matt LaPorta could get to the majors and be the next Wily Mo Pena.

I like to see our team's front office go on the "offensive" for once.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

That doesn't account for....or his playoff impact. Not to mention, a total attitude shift for the franchise.

I thought that was what the Suppan signing was for? That stuff just gives reporters something to write about. 95% of the value of the trade is a result of what Sabathia does with his arm.

But there's also the chain reaction. This should send a better pitcher to the bullpen, and also CC will suck up a few bullpen innings. I think we could see another 2-3 wins from a better bullpen too.

Moving a below average pitcher (Bush or McClung) into the bullpen is going to have some positive impact but very minor, IMO. No where near 2-3 wins, on average. If a trade like this was worth 5 total wins for a half a season, it would be worth 10 wins over 162 games. That doesn't pass the common sense test.

Again, all I'm trying to say is that the total expected impact on this trade for the regular season is around 2 wins. I'm not trying to argue that 2 wins isn't worth it.

BBTN = ten pounds of crap in a five pound sack.

Maybe its just taking Olney a long time to figure out a way to spin this so that it doesn't look like he was talking out of his rear the last two days.

Not sure if this adds 2 more wins or what, that's hard to figure. I do think it helps assure (assuming Sheets stays healthy) that the Brewers avoid a meltdown like last year. It also gives the Brewers more starting pitching depth for the rest of the year. I'm still holding my breath in regards to the way Parra will perform in the 2nd half in his first full season in the bigs.

The other intangable of this is that it sends a message to other players and possible free agents in the league that this is not the same financially strapped Brewers of the past. They are drawing some very good crowds and will do what it takes to get to the playoffs. Signing a LT contract with the Brewers is no something to fear.

As far as this being the Brewers best team ever...uhhhh...let's wait and see how history plays out. Molitor, Yount, Fingers, Sutton - 4 Hall of Famers...along with guys like Cooper, Simmons, Caldwell....that's a pretty good team.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

This trade is about the postseason rotation, not the regular season rotation, Russ.

There's still a decent chance that the Brewers don't even make the playoffs, so that has to be consider if you want to make an objective assessment of this trade.

This trade might increase the chances of making the playoffs by 10-15% (admittedly, just a wild guess on my part on what the 2 games adds) and increases the chance of winning every 4th playoff game by about 10%. Does that make it worth trading LaPorta? Hell if I know. I wouldn't call an argument on either side wrong.

Yet you defended a worse trade last year. This is a no brainer.

Congrats to Brian for being the first to call for the DFA of C.C.

Overall, I like the move. I am a Buccaneer fan and look at the Brewers moves with what Tampa did in the '90s and earlier this decade. Tampa was built through smart drafting, but that core only got them so far. Ultimately, they moved picks (4 1's and 2 2's plus millions) for Keyshawn and Gruden in an effort to reach the Super Bowl. They realized that the window is open for so long and did what it took for a shot. It may not work out for the Brewers like it did for my Bucs, but with the uncertain future of Ben and Prince, I think the time is now to make a run.

That doesn't account for....or his playoff impact. Not to mention, a total attitude shift for the franchise.

I thought that was what the Suppan signing was for? That stuff just gives reporters something to write about. 95% of the value of the trade is a result of what Sabathia does with his arm.

You seem to discount the psychological impact on both the players and the fans. Earlier in the season Braun mentioned that the Brewers didn't seem to 'expect to win'. I doubt they can use that as an excuse from here out. Plus, you give the fans an intangible (hope) that leads to the tangible (money). Attendance goes up, we spend more money, we win more games.

There is an impact beyond the sportswriters. It's not easily analyzed, but it's real.

This may very well become a trade that we talk about for years like Vuke, Fingers, and Simmons for DiPino, Bass, and Lezcano. Or it may turn into a trade that we talk about for years like Sheffield for Mieske, Valentin, and Bones or Vaughn for Newfield, Villone, and Florie.

I'm hoping it turns out like Kevin Bass, Frank DiPino and Mike Madden for Don Sutton.

I'm so excited to see Sabathia pitch as a Brewer, he is such a huge pickup
sorry, I have to do this, but no pun intended?

Just made me laugh when I read that.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

The thing about making a trade for the playoffs is that anything can happen in the playoffs. Look at CC's playoff ERA, it is not pretty.

That said, it's still exciting to get big fat CC and I'll try not to worry too much about giving up LaPorta+ for a rental.

Glad to have him...my only concern is that the brewers havee been playing so well already that he might not immediately improve the team...sure, he replaces dave bush in the rotation, but bush has been stellar for a month now...

mass is right...this is about the playoffs...

laporta will be a very good mlb player, but sabathia is a ridiculous haul for a guy the brewers "over-drafted" last season...

Archived