Brewer Fanatic

CC Sabathia to the Brewers for Matt LaPorta, Zach Jackson, Rob Bryson, and Michael Brantley

And That

The Brewers gambled that the extra wins CC would give them would be the difference between making or not making it. They were certainly right and by making it, they have made a hell of a lot of money for the franchise. The franchise needed to erase that postseason drought and it's been destroyed.

And as for my 2-3 win estimate, it's like people want me to apologize for not predicting that Sabathia would have a 1.65 ERA with the Crew. There's a reason they call it an estimate folks. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

• Replies 919
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we should start a donation thread to pay for CC to keep him in Milwaukee.

About $27 per Wisconsin resident ought to do it.

Check out this thread for PTBNL discussion:

Who will Cleveland pick? Latest -- It's Brantley (reply #145ish)

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I think we should start a donation thread to pay for CC to keep him in Milwaukee.

Seriously, how many people do you think would sign up for a voluntary CC tax? I bet it'd be a lot.

You could count me in, without hesitation. I want a CC/Gallardo head of the rotation next year so bad.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

OK, so the Brewers will probably need to make an extension for Hart happen, put him in center, and move Gamel to the OF.

I'd actually prefer Braun in CF at some point. We've got Cameron through 2009, most likely, and if he leaves/isn't re-signed, I'd like to see Braun take over as long as Ryan's reads off the bat have improved. I'm not sold on Hart away from a corner spot just yet. He's been fine in RF, though. If Braun can cover CF, that'd leave the Crew able to ease Gamel into the OF in left.

Losing Brantley along with LaPorta sure stinks, but I'd say it's been worth it. Sabathia completely blew me out of the water with his past two starts. In no way did I expect him to pitch well his previous time out, let alone have a masterpiece left in him today. CC!

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I just can't see two prospects, no matter how good, being worth more than a post season appearance for a franchise. Think of the revenue this will generate this team for this year and at least next year. Instead of season ticket sales possibly going down, there will certainly be going up, now.

I just can't see two prospects, no matter how good, being worth more than a post season appearance for a franchise. Think of the revenue this will generate this team for this year and at least next year. Instead of season ticket sales possibly going down, there will certainly be going up, now.
Don't forget merchandise. Trading for CC was a big gamble, but it paid off.

I didn't believe this until today, but I really think that, logically, he should be the MVP. No one player in the NL was more solely responsible for his team making it into the post-season.

Hard to believe that quite possibly the two players who will finish #1 and #2 in the NL MVP voting were traded from the AL mid-season. No wonder the AL has been winning all of the All-Star games.

While it is unlikely that they will find the next Matt LaPorta with any comp picks (given that the comp picks will never be higher than #16 overall), Brantley was a 7th round pick so they certainly can replace him. While TGJ may not have panned out as well as we hoped, Brantley and Cutter Dykstra are looking like it is well worth investing in ML bloodlines.

And man, look at that 2005 Draft - Braun, Inman, Gamel, Hammond, Brantley, Weeks (but didn't sign), Garrison, Braddock, Welch, Green, Aguilar... that could very well be the best draft by any one team in the history of major league baseball.

Losing Brantley along with LaPorta sure stinks, but I'd say it's been worth it.
I was more afraid of losing Taylor Green. He's a left-handed Cirillo - and probably ought to get long looks as the next third baseman for the Crew.

Can he make the jump from Brevard to Nashville next year?

LaPorta was the 7th pick in the draft by the crew but that very morning he was slotted at the 28th pick to go to the Yankees I believe. And players play above their slot, saying Brantley was a 7th round pick is like saying Tony Romo was an unsigned free agent. Once they are taken they are gone.

In my opinion the Brewers target one first rounder every year whether it is deemed a reach or not and stick to their guns. Braun @ 5 ahead of Maybin; 3 3B off the board by pick 5. The general media thought Prince was a reach at 7. From all reports I have seen and I am an insider but no account but Lawire was the consensus pick from this draft. I am not saying he was slotted #1 but he was on the board big time.

It just seems to me that this team perceives value different than other teams and will "reach" to get the guy they want. This is why I want Jack Z in the clubhouse as long as possible his guys aren't usually the same guys the media are on.

Seriously, how many people do you think would sign up for a voluntary CC tax? I bet it'd be a lot.

It could be in the form of a pledge tally ($52 increments?) that draft movements for presidential candidates have used. No obligation to pay unless CC signs.

I've said it before - I wouldn't be surprised if the Brewers long-term plan for the infield is Hardy (3B), Escobar (SS), Green (2B), and Fielder/Gamel (1B). Two righties, two leftys. I think Hardy makes the better 3B of him and Green.

I don't normally go into the stadium early enough for batting practice, so maybe there is nothing to this, but yesterday during BP, Hardy and Escobar were practicing double play turns with JJ at short and Escobar at 2B.

I'm on board that CC was worth every dime we paid for him. He is already a legend for this city, and the book isn't even closed yet.

The Brewers gambled that the extra wins CC would give them would be the difference between making or not making it. They were certainly right and by making it, they have made a hell of a lot of money for the franchise. The franchise needed to erase that postseason drought and it's been destroyed.

And as for my 2-3 win estimate, it's like people want me to apologize for not predicting that Sabathia would have a 1.65 ERA with the Crew. There's a reason they call it an estimate folks. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I got your backside, Russ. I also had figured 2-3 additional wins, but you beat me to the post. No need to apologize!

If CC pitched like he did for us the Indians could have played themselves into contention down the stretch with the way the Sox and Twins struggled. They ended 7 games out which is a ton, but they dealt CC and Casey Blake two guys who could have helped the team even more. However it probably would have been an Astros like surge that got close but did not have enough.

Also the Brantley add on to this thread might be premature as Mass saying it might be Green even though Gammons reported Brantley minor leauge thread

Archived