Brewer Fanatic

CC Sabathia to the Brewers for Matt LaPorta, Zach Jackson, Rob Bryson, and Michael Brantley

And That
  • Replies 919
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I didn't believe this until today, but I really think that, logically, he should be the MVP. No one player in the NL was more solely responsible for his team making it into the post-season.

(And, for the record, I am not a total homer about this kind of thing.)

Except maybe Manny I guess.

You can't tell me CC doesn't deserve MVP, CY Young, bronze star, medal of honor, Nobel prize, whatever. This is guy was everything he was advertised to be and so much more. We're so lucky to have seen this guy pitch for us.

This gem probably makes him a heavy favorite for Cy Young. Personally, I consider him for MVP as well. As someone else said, we're close to .500 without him. He's pitched around 130 innings for us, and is pitching so far above the rim it is just mind boggling to think about. 3 starts in a row on three days rest. And finishes it off with a CG? Are you kidding me?!?!?!

Baseball writers eat this kind of stuff right up.

This gem probably makes him a heavy favorite for Cy Young. Personally, I consider him for MVP as well. As someone else said, we're close to .500 without him. He's pitched around 130 innings for us, and is pitching so far above the rim it is just mind boggling to think about. 3 starts in a row on three days rest. And finishes it off with a CG? Are you kidding me?!?!?!

Baseball writers eat this kind of stuff right up.

I'd say if he were in a big market, this would be made into a national legend - rather than just a local legend. He'll get some props votes, but I don't think he'll net either, partially because of the market.

I think that even if LaPorta went on to be a multiple-time all-star, this still would have been the right move for the Brewers. As greedy as I am with our home-grown talent, this trade blows the Sutton one out of the water. The only thing that would change my mind is if LaPorta went on to be a HOFer.... but of course, if that happened, the Brewers would lose his services to the highest bidder eventually anyway.

I was happy with the trade initially, but now it just seems like it'll be the deal that will have us remembering Doug in a positive light, ala Harry Dalton, no matter what happens down the road.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

This team, this franchise, and these fans, really needed this postseason appearance. We've had the 82 Brewers force fed to us for years. We've been the answer to trivia questions that you don't want to be the answer to. We've had 2 monumental collapses in the last few years. This year, the casual fan packed the park to the tune of 3 million+ and BECAUSE of that, we're able to rent a guy like CC (and hopefully keep!) for a playoff run. The flipside is that the casual fan is quicker to turn away when things go sour.

Is 3 months of CC and a playoff spot worth the potential of 6+ productive years of Laporta and Brantley? Maybe not, but one thing playoffs do is promote financial success in terms of ticket sales for the following season. One thing this franchise will constantly have to do is maximize income potential and really scrutinize every dollar they spend.

I know a lot of people dislike the "casual" fan, and don't want bandwagon jumpers, but I say the more the merrier, and a playoff appearance will keep a lot of those bandwagoners around.

Is 3 months of CC and a playoff spot worth the potential of 6+ productive years of Laporta and Brantley? Maybe not, but one thing playoffs do is promote financial success in terms of ticket sales for the following season.
Worth it to me if Jack Z turns the two CC compensatory picks into the next Laporta & Brantley... and with his recent hot streak, no reason to doubt at least one of the two won't turn into something useful. And in addition to bonus playoff ticket sales, the excitement around CC's regular season presence sold a lot more regular season tickets... which can hopefully be used to extend some of the young talent, or fill holes from the free agent market.

Archived