Brewer Fanatic

CC Sabathia to the Brewers for Matt LaPorta, Zach Jackson, Rob Bryson, and Michael Brantley

And That
I'm fairly sure that MLB has more competitive balance than the NFL or NBA.

You'll have a hard time selling anyone on the fact that the competitive balance in MLB is better than the NFL. For more details, check out the Green Bay Packers.

• Replies 919
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm fairly sure that MLB has more competitive balance than the NFL or NBA.

You'll have a hard time selling anyone on the fact that the competitive balance in MLB is better than the NFL. For more details, check out the Green Bay Packers.

Has any MLB team won as many championships in the last decade as the Patriots?

I figuring the team could comfortably afford the current payroll, this is honestly just plain stupid. The economics of baseball are entirely messed up, and something needs to be done.
Three things here:

1. As they increase revenue they get decreased payments from the large market teams. It isn't a 1 to 1 ratio but if for each dollar more they bring in they might only add 60 cents to the bottom line when the "welfare" amount is reduced accordingly.

2. I am sure this is taking into account the debt service. It is like me saying I made no money this month but paid 3 mortgages and build up so much in equity..

3. They have also invested in capital improvements in Miller Park to help generate future revenue but are mostly like accounting most of the cost now.

I never thought they would get past $70 million on payroll so to be at $90 million it is not suprising they are not making money this year.

It is only concerning when they are unable to make this deal because of the "economics of baseball"

Yeah, I think the only bad thing about this trade/day is Mark admitting the Crew would lose money this year. I was one of those guys saying that the team resources made them definitely a small market team and the Crew should take a small market approach/stance, but I was really hoping I was wrong.

So now we know where the team stands financially. It seems pretty obvious that Milwaukee will have to sell out nearly every game every year to keep payroll up--that's a lot to ask from a blue collar town. I know I've had to keep cutting back the amount of games I've gone to over the years from a high of about 25 a year down to 0 this year. Not looking for sympathy, but I know a lot of people in the same boat. I just really hope that the good people of Milwaukee will no longer be fair weather fans, and continue to sellout Miller park when the team goes through the inevitable cycle of up and down.

This, for me, is the second most exciting day as a Brewer fan, and I'm loving it. I think the absolute magic of Jack Z. and his staff is primarily responsible for our ability to make this move, that and the support Milwaukee fans have shown the last three years. Here's hoping this is the beginning of a long love affair and a streak of competitive teams that is at least a decade long.

Just to clarify some of how the Indians brass feels about the trade I got an email from them today, I used to live in Cleveland and go to a lot of games so I am on their mailing list, explaining their rationale in trading CC. It's almost kind of a said apology letter to the fans that this year turned the way that it did. It's actually a pretty interesting read and if anyone wants it forwarded to them, just send me a pm.

Mods, it's a free email but it is a pretty lengthy letter that I don't want to take up a full page with quoting. If any of you feel that it is appropriate to quote just let me know and I will cut and paste it. Or if there is a website or blog that someone wants me to forward it to them so they can post it just let me know and I can link it in.

Everything I've ever known, I've learned from Brewerfan.net....Seriously though

So if it's really Brantley or Green, as seems to be the case now, I wonder if it's up to the Indians to pick the one they want, or if it is related to how well the Brewers do this year? I'm a little surprised they gave up Brantley, but on the other hand if it's tied to the playoffs in some way, that'll probably mean it was worth it.

Just want to clear up something from earlier today...

Steve Stone did in fact say on 670 the Score in Chicago that the PTBNL was JJ Hardy. The person who heard that on the radio was not mistaken. Stone actually had the hosts specualting that it must mean that Hardy has to play for the Brewers through the end of the year and then report to Cleveland. Mind you Steve Stone is considered a god down there for his baseball expertise. And the two hosts of this particular show are sportswriters for the Sun Times. All 3 should have known better. I didn't know whether to be embarrassed for them or feel sorry for them. The sad thing is I'm sure 90% of Chicago fans believed it. Stone went on to point out that Hardy's inclusion meant the Brewers paid dearly for this acquistion.

I'm 100% positive this was Stone's way of covering his butt for spending all week trying to convince Cubs fans that they were the odds on favorite to land Sabathia. This morning was simply a case of trying to inflate the value the Crew gave up to make it look like the Cubs would've gotten CC had the Brewers not gone off their rocker.

People have said that the reaction of Cubs nation indicates that they still are not at all worried about Milwaukee. Baloney! I was down in Chicago from 8 AM until 3 PM and as of the moment I stopped listening to the radio, both of their two main sports radio stations were still in non-stop coverage of this trade. Heck, even 540 AM out of Waukesha had a segment about Favre at one point. You don't spend 10 hours talking about a division rivals' transaction if it doesn't scare the crap out of you.

We are veering off course here, but I have maintaned all year that Stoney's new job with the White Sox has severely harmed his abilities as an analyst. He seems to have really lost touch with the rest of the league. From a listener's perspective, its a real shame too, because the last couple years, he was easily one of the best. That JJ Hardy thing is really bad.

I know I've had to keep cutting back the amount of games I've gone to over the years from a high of about 25 a year down to 0 this year.

No Offense, but if you REALLY wanted go. A bus ride from almost anywhere is $1.50 and Uecker seats are $1.00.

Yes. Yankees have won 3 championships in the past 10 years, with Florida and Boston both having two wins a piece. Patriots have won 3 times in the past 10 years.

Yes. Yankees have won 3 championships in the past 10 years, with Florida and Boston both having two wins a piece. Patriots have won 3 times in the past 10 years.

Competitive balance seems fairly even to me, then, especially since the Yankees victories are one or two CBAs ago and the Florida and Boston teams are different enough that they weren't exactly the same teams.

So if it's really Brantley or Green, as seems to be the case now, I wonder if it's up to the Indians to pick the one they want, or if it is related to how well the Brewers do this year? I'm a little surprised they gave up Brantley, but on the other hand if it's tied to the playoffs in some way, that'll probably mean it was worth it.

That is tough to see either of these go, but I would rather have it be Brantley in some ways, just because I feel like we will only have one outfield spot in the future. We need 2B and 3B prospects.

That is tough to see either of these go, but I would rather have it be Brantley in some ways, just because I feel like we will only have one outfield spot in the future. We need 2B and 3B prospects.

The indians will pick who they want. That is my understanding now.

Mods, it's a free email but it is a pretty lengthy letter that I don't want to take up a full page with quoting.

Go ahead and post it. We're worried about copyrighted material without citation and long quoting of other members' messages. This would fall outside of those concerns.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I'm pretty sure that even one playoff series nets the 5 million of CC's salary. Now if they went a little overboard before this that's one thing, but the really big dividend is next year's ticket sales.

Brantley might be the more talented player. But he is an OF - unless you believe he is actually a 1B!

Green plays 3B and 2B. I guess I would rather keep him because he doesn't have as much competition blocking his path.

Either way, it makes the price much higher.

For people asking how I came up with my 2 win estimate:

http://rluzinski.blogspot.com/2008/07/how-much-will-sabathia-be-worth-in-wins.html

I'm willing to extend that up to a possible two point FIVE wins. That does not take into account the loss today, however, which was obviously a result of the psychological impact of this trade. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

I can remember 2 or 3 times this year where Ned has had to go with the same reliever 3 days in a row and overworked that player. On that 3rd day they gave up a few runs and were a big factor in losing the game. I did not see you account for CC averaging about 1 inning per start more than Bush and saving the bullpens arms. I can live with saying he is worth 2.5 wins, but I still believe it is around 3.

I'm pretty sure that even one playoff series nets the 5 million of CC's salary. Now if they went a little overboard before this that's one thing, but the really big dividend is next year's ticket sales.

I'm not sure I see that, the Brewers are pushing 3 million in ticket sales already, it's not like they are going from 1.5 to 3... we're talking about a much smaller jump.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I did not see you account for CC averaging about 1 inning per start more than Bush and saving the bullpens arms. I can live with saying he is worth 2.5 wins, but I still believe it is around 3.

I used 7 IP/start for Sabathia (which is probably a little high) and 6 IP for Bush (which is about right). I came up with 1.93 wins directly and added half a win to try and account for the bullpen considerations (admittantly, I'm not sure how to calculate it, so I used a pretty large number, IMO.

If you think it's closer to 3 wins, I wouldn't necessarily agree with you but I wouldn't say you are wrong, either. Just don't tell me it's 4+ wins. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

I was trying to figure this out the other day and stumbled across this article. http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2007/10/04/playoffs_not_ticket_to_riches/

Looks like teams don't make a ton of money. In 2006 the Cards and Tigers generated about $6.8 million in revenue for the entire playoffs from ticket sales and expenses are way up. The majority of the money goes to the players and staff. Of course this does not take into account concessions, merchandise and increased revenue from more fan interest in terms of future ticket sales, sponsorships and media.

I am guessing the if CC takes them to the WS that his paycheck will have been covered.

The best thing we can hope for is that this is somewhat of a similar effect to the Western Conference in the NBA last year. The Lakers started the ripple effect of moves by first acquiring Pau Gasol. That started all the trades for other teams (Kidd to Dallas, Shaq to Phoenix, etc.). But it was Gasol who easily had the biggest impact on his team.

Archived