Brewer Fanatic

CC Sabathia to the Brewers for Matt LaPorta, Zach Jackson, Rob Bryson, and Michael Brantley

And That
  • Replies 919
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Text message from MLB.com reports Suppan is on the 15-day DL.

I am so glad I pay the $3.99/month for this service. I get news like this before it hits jsonline. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Once the whole PTBNL nonsense (yes it's nonsense because I just want to cry now and get it over with so I can be happy about having CC) started I posted I thought it came down to Green or Lucroy.

I honestly don't know who I'd want to give up out of those 2 guys, Lucroy or Green. Green is more versatile and LH, but Lucroy could be our catcher of the future. That's one call I'm glad I dont' have to make.

If Jeffress is in any way included as the PTBNL, I might not get out of bed for a week.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I honestly don't know who I'd want to give up out of those 2 guys, Lucroy or Green. Green is more versatile and LH, but Lucroy could be our catcher of the future.

I'm kinda hopin' it's someone on the DL or another `07 draftee...

Out of curiosity, am I the only one who used the 'contact' link on CC's website to welcome Sabathia to Milwaukee (or, at least, say 'Hi' to his webmaster)?

I did as well. I doubt he gets those emails but i figured what the heck. I did the same thing for charles woodson when he signed with the packers.

Stupid question as I don't know a whole lot about the A's situation, but why would you be willing to deal a starter when you are going to be making a push for the playoffs? I mean they are only 3.5 games out of the wildcard.

Stupid question as I don't know a whole lot about the A's situation, but why would you be willing to deal a starter when you are going to be making a push for the playoffs? I mean they are only 3.5 games out of the wildcard.

I think that remains an open question. The A's are sort of in no man's land right now, but they have a couple weeks to figure things out.

I kinda wanna know why ESPN can't ever say 1 thing nice about the CC trade to Milwaukee.... maybe just once. They try but then its well CC will go back to the way he started the season BS... Lets just win it and shove it in their face.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I've heard pretty much all positive comments about CC on ESPN. I think they are just pointing out the risks that are involved.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I was busy all day so I just had a chance to catch up on my reading/viewing.

It's kind of depressing that Mark A. said the team would lose money this, and I'm somewhat surprised. I knew they were close to the break even point already, but I didn't think they were that close. I'd guess that any playoff revenue if it should come our way would help off set that somewhat, but still I didn't think 5 mil would push them over the edge. This doesn't change my opinion of the deal at all as it's a temporary issue, but I thought it was worth noting.

I shouldn't be surprised as I've been one of the people continually pointing out that the Brewers didn't have the money to resign Sheets and Sabathia, but I still am. I figuring the team could comfortably afford the current payroll, this is honestly just plain stupid. The economics of baseball are entirely messed up, and something needs to be done.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Verified Member

Don't get me wrong, I am really excited to be adding CC Sabathia to our rotation. But I can't help but feel terrible for the Indians fans. I still remember the first time I saw Paul Molitor wearing Blue Jays uniform, and I haven't forgotten that awful feeling that forever damaged my love for this game.

Overall, I just think this is bad for baseball. It's too bad money comes ahead of fans. A big part of me thinks Sabathia belongs in Cleveland.

My heart really goes out to the Indian fans.

I figuring the team could comfortably afford the current payroll, this is honestly just plain stupid. The economics of baseball are entirely messed up, and something needs to be done.

I'm having trouble understanding the problem. The smallest media market in the league just got last year's Cy Young award winner. They team may lose money this year, it depends on additional ticket sales, concessions, other gear bought at MP, etc. The team is clearly going for it this year and is extending the budget to go for it. They will be able to increase ticket prices again next year. And next year's payroll may be lower to compensate for any losses this year, saving some money for the next WS run when Jeffress is in the rotation and before Prince leaves. What should be done to make it better?

I can't help but feel terrible for the Indians fans. I still remember the first time I saw Paul Molitor wearing Blue Jays uniform, and I haven't forgotten that awful feeling that forever damaged my love for this game.

I hear you brother...that was such a bittersweet WS watching the Blue Jays repeat with Molitor after barely losing the division to them the year before. I was so happy for him, but so sad it wasn't as a Brewer.

At least the Indians will be getting something...a big something in return. When Molitor left...we got a decade of decay. The Indians with LaPorta and maybe Green or Brantley will be getting at least two legit future major league regulars. This is a very good trade for them.

I'm a big fan of Cleveland as a city and the Indians...I've always felt they were kind of our soul sisters in the AL. I hope we win it all this year...and they get their shot down the line as well.

It's more a competitive balance issue, the Brewers slightly overspent for a couple of players, and aren't able to afford what's a pretty reasonable payroll.

What should be done? Well the obvious answer is a salary cap and a unified TV contract that equally distributes the revenue to all teams. Then it comes down to how well you manage your franchise, instead of the size market your team happens to occupy. I have no complaints about what the Brewers have done, please don't misinterpet my little rant.

- Plato

- Plato

Don't get me wrong, I am really excited to be adding CC Sabathia to our rotation. But I can't help but feel terrible for the Indians fans. I still remember the first time I saw Paul Molitor wearing Blue Jays uniform, and I haven't forgotten that awful feeling that forever damaged my love for this game.

Overall, I just think this is bad for baseball. It's too bad money comes ahead of fans. A big part of me thinks Sabathia belongs in Cleveland.

My heart really goes out to the Indian fans.

I will always blame Sal Bando for having to see Molly in a Jays uni.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

It's more a competitive balance issue, the Brewers slightly overspent for a couple of players, and aren't able to afford what's a pretty reasonable payroll.

Pretty much any free agent in demand is "overpaid". If multiple teams are bidding for a player, that player is going to get more than the previous market. The team payroll is 15th, maybe now 14th in MLB. What would you consider reasonable? I'm fairly sure that MLB has more competitive balance than the NFL or NBA.

What should be done? Well the obvious answer is a salary cap and a unified TV contract that equally distributes the revenue to all teams.

A cap will only be agreed if there is a floor. I think the Florida teams are showing that you don't need to spend a certain amount of money to contend and the New York teams are showing that spending a lot doesn't guarantee anything. A unified TV contract works great for the NFL, doesn't really seem practical for MLB.

Then it comes down to how well you manage your franchise, instead of the size market your team happens to occupy.

As I noted previously, I think we have that already.

Just heard on ESPNNEWS from Buck Showalter through host Michelle Bonner that the PTBNL was an even better prospect than Laporta. Also stated in Agent39's blog is the inclusion of Brantley as one of two players along with Green on the PTBNL list. I don't believe either is considered to be a better prospect than Laporta IMO. Seems to me this deal is becoming a little more expensive all the time. Green and Brantley are very valuable LH bats which are in relative short supply in our system.

Archived