Brewer Fanatic

CC Sabathia to the Brewers for Matt LaPorta, Zach Jackson, Rob Bryson, and Michael Brantley

And That
  • Replies 919
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This trade is about the postseason rotation, not the regular season rotation, Russ.

There's still a decent chance that the Brewers don't even make the playoffs, so that has to be consider if you want to make an objective assessment of this trade.

This trade might increase the chances of making the playoffs by 10-15% (admittedly, just a wild guess on my part on what the 2 games adds) and increases the chance of winning every 4th playoff game by about 10%. Does that make it worth trading LaPorta? Hell if I know. I wouldn't call an argument on either side wrong.

When LaPorta was drafted last season, there was plenty of thought that he may be used as a trade chip with how the current crop of Brewers' position players was entering their window of contention - obviously that has proven to be a correct prediction.

While LaPorta and Green's absence from the Brewers' minor league system is obviously a blow, there are 6 draft choices from the first 2 rounds this year and plenty more draft picks coming up next year to try and fill the void - I'm also pleased that the cupboard is far from bare even after this trade.

It may mean only 2 more wins for the regular season, but if the Brewers find a way to reach the playoffs, it greatly increases their chances of doing something.

I also think that if Yovanni was still healthy and being the solid #2 Brewer fans were hoping for, that there would have been even more urgency to make a trade like this - I'm hoping that mentality leads to another trade or two to solidify the bullpen if some of their current relievers continue to struggle.

Let me list the benefits...

• 2 Aces!
  • If the Brewers make the playoffs, Sheets / Sabathia is a hell of a 1-2 punch if not the best
  • A workhorse who eats innings
  • A left handed starter
  • Getting CC now means 2 starts before AS break and about 5 before the deadline
  • The odd man out of the rotation (Bush, McClung) can help shore up the bullpen, provide depth
  • Cubs, Phillies, Cards, Mets, Braves, Dodgers, Marlins, etc. don't get him
  • This should send a scare in the direction of Chicago and St. Louis
  • 3 less players the Brewers have to worry about protecting on the 40-man roster down the line
  • We still have Gamel and Escobar!
  • A huge psychological boost in the clubhouse
  • Lots of (if not all) sellouts the rest of the year at MP can only help the Brewers in upcoming years
  • CC dominates the AL, imagine what he might do to the NL
  • All this excitement should inspire fans to vote Hart into the All Star Game
  • If there was ever a doubt, we know our owner is committed to winning NOW
  • 5 picks in the top 35 or so next year
  • Milwaukee is the talk of MLB !!!!

I just hope that Brewer fans realize that this acquisition should be expected to translate into around 2 more wins over the rest of the season. If those two games are the difference between missing and making the playoffs, obviously it was worth it.

But there's also the chain reaction. This should send a better pitcher to the bullpen, and also CC will suck up a few bullpen innings. I think we could see another 2-3 wins from a better bullpen too. (Not 20-30 runs saved, but 5-6 very important runs in high leverage situations that win us ballgames.)

What an amazing turn of events. So much for the Phillies "lurking in the shadows". Looks like Doug made his best offer, stuck by it, and let the Indians come to him. How amazing is this that the Brewers are actually getting the guy instead of giving him up.

Also, Baseball Tonight has been on for 15 minutes, and they have yet to mention it.

I'm so excited to see Sabathia pitch as a Brewer, he is such a huge pickup and definitely makes us a huge contender. Its almost unreal to me after all of these years as a Brewer fan to see us make a trade for one of the best pitchers in all of baseball in the prime of his career. I really hope he puts us over the top.

I also think its absolutely crazy that there is no talk about it on Baseball tonight, I mean he did win the Cy Young award last year, is that not a big enough news story?

Archived