Brewer Fanatic

CC Sabathia to the Brewers for Matt LaPorta, Zach Jackson, Rob Bryson, and Michael Brantley

And That

I agree with BtA.. barring any additional moves, next year's IF shakes out as:

3B Platton: Gamel/Hall

SS: Hardy

2b: Weeks

1b: Fielder

Utility: Escobar

It gives the Escobar and Gamel a chance to break in slowly, provides depth, and make facilitate an mid-season trade for pitching if needed.

OF: will be Braun and Hart (CF) with Gillepsie/Nelson getting a shot in RF.

There is no way they trade Fielder this off-season unless they get overwhelmed with 2 stud pitchers like Chamberlain/Hughes (NY) or Buchholz / Lester (Boston) or Cain/Lincecum (SF)

I could see them trading Hall / Weeks but that is not likely as well because they have little value unless they go on a Hardy like tear. If Hardy ends the season with .280 20HR's he would have good value but you can't trade him until you find out:

- If hall will bounce back

- Gamel can stick at 3b

- Weeks will ever live up to his potential.

All of this means they can focus their free agency money on pitching.

• Replies 919
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe but I think they want him to get regular work in so he develops his hitting more and be a gold glove caliber player who can also hit at a major league level. I think they most certainly view him as the starting shortstop of the future so I don't think they want to inhibit his development in any way.

I don't see anything wrong with a year of "break-in" sporadic playing time. It worked for Corey pretty well, and teams do it quite a bit. I'm not saying you want to do that kind of thing perennially with a player, but the player isn't going to be rendered useless, development-wise, if he's not in there every day.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Hey guys and gals, LTNS.

I'll add more comments later, but my initial thought is this is a good trade for the team, much better than the Linebrink trade last year.

This year the Brewers get a player who doesn't appear to be declining, but is in the prime of his career. So, even though the Brewers are giving up more talent this year than they did last year, they are getting way more in return than they did last year.

As others have said, I think this is more about setting the roster for the playoffs than making the playoffs. Having two very good and one good pitcher at the top of the rotation is going to give this team a chance in October.

Hopefully I haven't jinxed their playoff chances now.

Chris

-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

I dont see any way that Escobar is a utility player next year. I think you try doing that if you have a bat that want to play somewhere, not a glove. Escobar's value is at SS, and its because of his defensive range. No way they move him.

If I were the GM, I'd start the press conference by announcing the demotion of whoever to AAA, followed by the removal of McClung from the rotation.

Only after a few minutes would I mention the trade. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif

Wearing my heart on my sleeve since birth. Hopefully, it's my only crime.

Twitter..

Blog..

Facebook.

Let me first say that I found that reading this entire thread last ngiht and this morning was AWESOME. I am a huge brewers fan, but by no means have a been a lifer. I never followed baseball (beyond being a casual fan) until this decade; but for the last 7 years or so, i became more and more of a brewer fan(atic).

Then i discovered this site about 18 months ago, and the brewer fever has spiraled out of control. Just reading about how much people know about the minor league players fascinates me and makes me realize 2 things: how much i still need to know and how much i want to learn.

Anyways, about this trade...

1. I am a big fan of this trade. I saw first hand at how awesome every Bucks playoff game was back in '01, and if the Brewers make the playoffs this year that would blow the Eastern conference finals run out of the water. C.C. not only gives us a better chance to win each 5th day, but if one of our other starters were to get injured (KNOCK ON WOOD), the Brewers would still have a great chance to make the playoffs.

2. This trade says a lot about this organization and the ownership and the city of Milwaukee. I personally get so mad when the Brewers and Milwaukee in general gets shunned or disrespected by nation media and people in big cities, so hopefully this trade helps change things.

3. I cant wait until Rome returns from "the basement"in 2 weeks. Surely this will be one of the major topics on his first show back. I love when Rome talks about the Brewers and I love when Rome talks about Sabathia and everyone starts calling him names like "Captain Crunch" and "Chocolate Cake" because of his weight. lol.

Any chance ESPN picks up a C.C. start soon???

Then i discovered this site about 18 months ago, and the brewer fever has spiraled out of control. Just reading about how much people know about the minor league players fascinates me and makes me realize 2 things: how much i still need to know and how much i want to learn.
My casual brewerfan.net viewership switched to an addiction when the Lyle Overbay trade was going down several years ago. Catching the unofficial reports and speculations before reported by the main stream media was quite fascinating. How did anyone survive before the internet?

Press Release:

BREWERS ACQUIRE C.C. SABATHIA

Send Three Minor Leaguers and a Player to be Named to Cleveland for 2007

American League Cy Young Award Winner

MILWAUKEE - The Milwaukee Brewers today acquired LHP C.C.

Sabathia from the Cleveland Indians in exchange for OF Matt LaPorta, LHP

Zach Jackson, RHP Rob Bryson and a player to be named. Sabathia will

wear uniform #52 when he joins the Brewers. The announcement was made

by Executive Vice President and General Manager Doug Melvin.

"The acquisition of C.C. is a credit to all of the fan

support that this organization has enjoyed over the last few years,"

said Melvin. "Without their support, we would not be in a position to

acquire a pitcher of this caliber. This addition to our ballclub is

also a credit to our great scouting and player development departments

led by Jack Zduriencik and Reid Nichols. Without their expertise, we

would not have produced the kind of talented players needed to make a

deal of this magnitude. We also could not have made this deal without

the undying support of our ownership."

Sabathia, 27, owns a career record of 106-71 with a 3.83 ERA

in 237 starts over eight seasons with the Indians. He is a three-time

All-Star (2003-04, 2007) and has pitched in the postseason twice (2001

and 2007). Since making his debut in 2001, he is among the Major League

leaders in both wins (T10th, 106 - T5th among lefthanders) and

strikeouts (5th, 1,265 - 3rd among lefthanders). He recorded at least

11 victories in each of his first seven seasons.

"C.C. is one of the top pitchers in the game today," said

Melvin. "His addition to the starting rotation will be a major key in

helping the team reach its ultimate goal of going to the postseason and

beyond."

Sabathia is 6-8 with a 3.83 ERA in 18 starts this season.

He currently leads the American League in strikeouts (123) and

strikeouts per 9.0 innings (9.0) while ranking second in innings pitched

(122.1) and tied for second in complete games (3). Since April 22 he is

6-5 with a 2.16 ERA in 14 starts (104.1ip, 25er). His ERA since April

22 ranks third in the Major Leagues. He has tossed 10 quality starts

this season and has produced five double-digit strikeout performances,

including three in a row from June 15-27.

Sabathia is coming off his best season after winning the

2007 American League Cy Young Award. He went 19-7 with a 3.21 ERA in 34

starts last season. His 241.0 innings pitched led the Major Leagues.

He was also among the American League leaders in complete games (2nd,

4), wins (T2nd, 19), winning percentage (T3rd, .731) and strikeouts

(5th, 209).

Carsten Charles "C.C." Sabathia was born on July 21, 1980 in

Vallejo, CA. He and his wife, Amber, have a son named Carsten Charles

III and a daughter named Jaeden.

-I used to have a neat-o signature, but it got erased.

This may be a dumb question, and it may have been answered earlier, but who moves to make room for Sabathia?

Apparently CC T shirts are available for tomorrow. They will be around tonight at the park.

-I used to have a neat-o signature, but it got erased.

Interesting comments on the PTBNL. It cannot be a major leaguer. Melvin would not say who was on the list but did say there are a couple of dates in which the PTBNL will be picked by. I don't know why they have numerous dates.

He said Matt was untouchable a couple weeks ago.

Archived