Brewer Fanatic

CC Sabathia to the Brewers for Matt LaPorta, Zach Jackson, Rob Bryson, and Michael Brantley

And That

is there someone blocking Gamel at 3b that I'm not aware of?

Seems to me that things will play themselves out between Escobar/Weeks/Hardy.

Nothing wrong with Esco being the platoon guy next year similiar to Bill Hall in 03',04',05'

• Replies 919
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Community Moderator
Fantastic trade as it stands now. Even if Green ends up as the PTBNL, Jackson/Bryson is still a heck of a lot better than giving Cain, and much, much better than the brief LuCroy rumors. Very pumped about this move.

I still do not fully understand Green being the PTBNL. Is the switch from the 3rd to 2nd that hard, especially when he played 2nd two years ago? If he is a PTBNL and they do not want him I wonder who they would take?

Someone who knows more than me may correct me, but I would guess that if Green is the PTBNL that the Indians like him, but realize he is still young and want to see more of him. The teams may be negotiating a few names that can PTBNL and a few months down the road (presumably after the season has ended) the Indians decide which player they want. A few months of play may not seem like much, but it is a fairly large sample for someone still below AA.

I know Green has not been traded, but the point is almost a little moot at this juncture.

If he is a possibility, then at least a player of his quality is included in the deal. So instead of getting a good deal by giving up LaPorta, Jackson, and Bryson - I think we over paid a little.

I would guess it comes down to Lucroy or Green. But I hope it is a 2008 draft pick who I haven't grown to like yet.

Fantastic trade as it stands now. Even if Green ends up as the PTBNL, Jackson/Bryson is still a heck of a lot better than giving Cain, and much, much better than the brief LuCroy rumors. Very pumped about this move.

really? I know Cain is higher on the P50, but I'd rather have Bryson than him, especially considering the team needs. 12 Ks per 9 and 4.5 Ks per BB so far in Bryson's career, with those 2 numbers supposedly being the best indicator of future success.

TheCrew07; Although I have not seen Green play, from his size and what has been written about him, the Green-Cirillo comparison seems right on (gamer that has a good bat but lacks size or great physical tools). That being said, those types are extremely difficult to predict. Those guys are relatively easy to replace. (No offense,39) To get a chance and succeed, they have to find the exact perfect situation.

Spare me with the "it should only amount to two wins difference" mantra. CC saves our pen almost every time he starts, and gives us the best 1-2 punch in NL when/if playoff time comes. And I don't buy two wins either. CC has 15 starts left assuming no injury. So 15 Sabathia starts vs. 15 Bush starts is only likelihood of winning two more games? Doesn't seem right.

It depends if we are talking home or away starts for Bush.

I think a move to the OF for Gamel will follow shortly. And I think JJ Hardy will be the Brewers 3rd baseman next year.

C- Kendall

1B- Fielder

2B- Weeks

SS- Escobar

3B- Hardy

OF- Braun

OF- Hart

OF- Gamel

Barring trades of course.

For a math/numbers guy, and someone who was a stathead back back 20 years ago, I don't get some of the numbers floating around about CC being worth 2 more wins. I understand the principle, and see how the numbers are generated, but I look at it like this: about 75 games left. That means that CC or Ben will start (if healthy) 30 of them. OK, a couple of Cy Young potential pitchers, and let's say that's 20 wins. With 45 games to be started by Parra/Soup/(Bush or McClung). OK, let's say they go just above .500, and that's 25 wins. THat would equate to a 45 - 30 record, which is .600 baseball (or 95 wins over the entire season). Now there are a lot of assumptions. But rather than equate what number of wins over/under a player brings, let's look at the whole picture. And if CC helps add 40-45 wins from here on out simply because he and Ben are starting 40% of our remaining games, then we're looking at 88-93 wins, right? That better be a playoff team.

And if we make the playoff, then this trade makes a HUGE difference. That's a scary 1-2 punch in a short series. Like Schilling-Unit in '01, or Pedro-Schilling in '04.

Anyway, as a huge hockey and baseball fan, my two favorite teams both acquired the crown jewel of the trading deadlines! Let's hope that this works for the Brewers as well as it did for the Penguins (except maybe this favorite team actually wins the title).

I dunno, the Brewers are 7-9 this year in Bush starts, were 14-17 in Bush starts last year and 16-16 in 2006 for a 47% winning percentage in games he started

The Indians are 8-10 this year, 23-11 last year and 14-14 in 06 with Sabathia starting for a 56% winning percentage in games he started

Over 15 games you'd expect the Brewers to win roughly 7.1 games Bush starts and roughly 8.4 games Sabathia starts. Maybe add in an extra game for saving the bullpen and you are looking at somewhere in the range of 2-3 wins, probably 4 wins tops and plausibly 1 win if Sabathia struggles with our defense behind him (shouldn't be an issue since Cle has a bad defense too).

His math seems about right.

How is this overreacting? This trade possibly effects TWO third base spots in our organization. Escobar is unofficially the short stop of the future. That would mean possibly that either JJ Hardy or Rickie Weeks would possibly take over at 3rd base. JJ is going to have to go somewhere anyways. If that is the case then I have no problem with it, I was just making an observation. I think you overreacted to my post.

Perhaps overreaction is the wrong word, but your post makes little sense to me since it assumes no additions or subtractions via free agency, trade or draft over the next several years. There are names currently not associated with the Brewers in any way that will probably account for 25% of the Brewers's lineup 3, 4, 5 years from now. I'm just not sure why you suddenly have guys changing positions just because one A ball prosect has ben traded (maybe).

I just had to add this comment from an Indians fan on TH's blog:

Reports off of 1100am in Cleveland has said that the player to be named later depends on the performance of CC Sabathia

They went on to say If the Brewers do not make the playoff the player to be named later would be a very low Rookie league lower A Ball player . Thought to be Jeremy Jeffress

If the Brewers get to the playoffs and win and CC does well They will receive upper A baller lower AA type player thought to be Alexandre Periard Right handed Pitcher

If they win the World Series and CC Does well the player they are believed to receive will be Angel Salome catching prospect

C- Kendall

1B- Fielder

2B- Weeks

SS- Escobar

3B- Hardy

OF- Braun

OF- Hart

OF- Gamel

Where is 3TO? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/frown.gif Just Kidding

Has the organization ever actually considered moving Hardy or is this just your speculation.

Reports off of 1100am in Cleveland has said that the player to be named later depends on the performance of CC Sabathia

They went on to say If the Brewers do not make the playoff the player to be named later would be a very low Rookie league lower A Ball player . Thought to be Jeremy Jeffress

If the Brewers get to the playoffs and win and CC does well They will receive upper A baller lower AA type player thought to be Alexandre Periard Right handed Pitcher

If they win the World Series and CC Does well the player they are believed to receive will be Angel Salome catching prospect

This sounds to me like this guy's just throwing stuff against the wall. How is Periard worth more than Jeffress?

Community Moderator

really? I know Cain is higher on the P50, but I'd rather have Bryson than him, especially considering the team needs

I'm a firm believer that there's no such thing as a pitching prospect in the lower minors. I'll take a bat that's performing well there over an arm any day.

They went on to say If the Brewers do not make the playoff the player to be named later would be a very low Rookie league lower A Ball player . Thought to be Jeremy Jeffress ...

This doesn't make sense. If we don't make the playoffs we give up a better prospect than if we win the World Series. A low Rookie league or low A ball player couldn't be Jeffress, as he is with the high-A affiliate, and is arguably our best pitching prospect.

This sounds to me like this guy's just throwing stuff against the wall. How is Periard worth more than Jeffress?

I agree; it just illustrates how goofy these things can get.

really? I know Cain is higher on the P50, but I'd rather have Bryson than him, especially considering the team needs

I'm a firm believer that there's no such thing as a pitching prospect in the lower minors. I'll take a bat that's performing well there over an arm any day.

Especially if you take that bat and trade him for an arm.

Yeah that makes no sense to me either, if they are doing it based upon the Crew's success you would think it would go Periard, Salome, then Jeffress, althought I highly doubt Jeffress would even be in this conversation

Archived