Brewer Fanatic

CC Sabathia to the Brewers for Matt LaPorta, Zach Jackson, Rob Bryson, and Michael Brantley

And That
If Green goes, I think it just reinforces that Gamel stays at 3b and becomes our 3b of the future. I suppose Lawrie is an option at third as well if Lucroy or Salome become top ten catchers at the major league level. If Prince is dealt to replenish our starting pitching in the off-season, I have no problem (maybe) giving Nelson a shot at first. I think he can put up numbers similar to what I expect LaPorta to put up in the majors.

• Replies 919
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So basically if Green is involved then JJ Hardy or Rickie Weeks are the 3rd baseman of the future because we really don't have one of those anywhere in the system since I assume Gamel will move to RF or 1B immediately and Green is gone.

I just don't understabd posts/overreactions like this. Why does this one trade need to dictate the future at every position? Up until last year, Ryan Braun was the 3B of the future. Mike Cameron certainly wasn't the CF of the future. These things change. Trades happen. FA sign. Etc. Etc. Etc.

As for the emotional impact, who the heck knows. When the Brewers were 4 games under, I was told that the players couldn't be any lower and the team would probably just collapse. Instead, they got insanely hot and jettisoned back onto the playoff race. The typical sports psycho-analysis you find on message boards just don't seem very objective to me. I find it pretty impossible to expect the emotional impact to even approach the impact of just adding more talent, though. I would guess the real effect would be much more subtle.

And I can't stress enough that I don't think 2 extra wins is insignificant. For a team in the Brewer's position, 2 wins is huge. The Brewers' odds of making the playoffs might have jumped up from around 55% to maybe 70% (again, the actual increase is just a complete guess on my part). And if they do make the playoffs, they've increased the odds of winning any game Sabathia starts by maybe 10% over a guy like Bush or McClung.

Dude, step away from the abacus for 5 minutes and try to actually enjoy the baseball season.

I think this is obvious to most but I actually enjoy crunching the numbers and sharing them with people who are interested in such things. If they do not add to your enjoyment of baseball, I would suggest you simply put me on your ignore list.

Green will not be a ptbnl. Green would just be in the trade, if its a ptbnl its going to be someone from the 07 or 08 draft.

This earlier post has me wondering about the rules regarding PTBNL now, if there are any. Or is it just that it's highly unusual to see those with the mandatory experience and/or not on the DL turn out to be PTBNL?

Im an idiot and underestimated something. I guess Cleveland wants to scout the PTBNL more in depth and thats one reason that player hasnt been named. Sorry I did not take that into account. On the other hand they could be lying.

Lets recap if we could , im not reading this whole thing twice so, if you could let me know if something s is wrong

Things we know

1. CC is a Brewer

2. LaPort is an Indian

both pending physicals

Rumors:

1. Zach Jack/Rob Bryson & PTBNL are due to be Indians however it could be Zach Braddock(instead of Zach Jack)

2. PTBNL does not appear to be Brantly or Green(although could be).

3. PTBNL appears to be a 2007 draft pick possibly Lucroy

4. Possible 2 PTBNL to be sent to the Brewers.

This is what I have got out of 21 pages let me know if Im wrong.

I think Lawrie is the 3rd baseman. I never bought into the catcher thing--not with Lucroy and Salome. I think for the sake of appearances they'll put Gamel in RF. But he'll be Fielder's replacement when he's traded.

Well Jackson... who cares. Bryson has nice potential but he's in A ball, I can part with him since Bowman, Ordozzi, and Co are right behind him. Green is the one who's going to sting for me personally, he will be a LH Jeff Cirillo with bit more power.

I realize they had to give value to get value, but I would have rather traded away another RH bat, I had resigned myself to Green going when it was reported they were scouting BC, so I've made my peace with it.

All in All, I like the move 30 times better than the Linebrink deal. This stings me personally as one of my favorite prospects goes, but it's a good move for the Brewers.

edit. I should add that if it comes down to Green or Lucroy, I have no idea who I'd rather have them take. I know I said a RH bat but I was thinking more along the lines of Cain, C has been a black hole for so long we need options there, especially with Salome's issues behind the dish.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I think he can put up numbers similar to what I expect LaPorta to put up in the majors.

no offense, but why would you think that? Nelson has never hit anything like LaPorta until this year (and even that is a stretch), and he is doing that in his 4th go-round at AAA. LaPorta is much, much more likely to be an acceptable or better ML 1st baseman than Nelson.

If Rickie is capable of being a competent 2nd baseman Gamel is capable of being a competent 3rd baseman. Gamel still has a year and 1/2 to hone is defensive skills, and he has made improvements this year. Rickie was the worst defender I had ever seen when he first came up and now, while he isn't a GG or even close to it, he is a pretty darn good 2nd baseman. I wouldn't like to see Green go either but if we pull of this trade while keeping our entire AA team with the exception of LaPorta I would be thrilled.

Cain is 100 percent not in this deal. Brantley is 200 percent not in this deal. Bryson and Laporta have 100 percent been dealt. Those are the only things I am 100 percent sure of.

Anyone that doesn't like this deal does not know what playoff baseball is about.

Perhaps it came out different from how you indended, but that's not an acceptable way of stating your opinion.

Reading it back it came off way to harsh.

People need to understand is in a playoff chase you have to give up something to get something of value back. Right now some posters are worried about 2 years down the road about one guy that would fill a corner OF or 1B spot. While with CC this team has to be considered maybe the team to beat in the NL. That one spot can be filled in two years from with in or free agents.

This site will be a nut house if this team would make the series like they did in 82. Even if they make the playoffs the energy will be crazy. How many years do we want to keep hearing that this team is looking to the future. Brewers win the Series Melvin will be called a genuis by just about everyone for going out and gettting the right talent.

For those that are minor league guys is Green's bat and glove good enough to be an every day 3B at the bigs or his is future home at 2B or some where else?

1. Zach Jack/Rob Bryson & PTBNL are due to be Indians however it could be Zach Braddock(instead of Zach Jack)

It's not Braddock instead of Jackson. It's been confirmed that Bryson and Jackson are in the trade with LaPorta as well as a PTBNL.

I wouldn't be opposed to Green getting a sprained eyelash and going on the DL for 6 months, and trying AA next year http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif. My gut tells me this highly increases the chances of Lawrie being a 3rd base prospect.

I haven't chimed in yet, but I love love love this trade. The Brewers are relevant again, and what this deal does, is make the best team in the NL Central, that much better.

That being said, given what it would cost(Gwynn), I'd love to see the Crew still go out and get Maddux, and a bullpen arm(Fuentes), possibly two. The greatest thing about this deal is watching Cubs fans reactions, and knowing Jim Hendry will now pay a premium for another starter just to try to match what the Brwers just did. I love it!!

Spare me with the "it should only amount to two wins difference" mantra. CC saves our pen almost every time he starts, and gives us the best 1-2 punch in NL when/if playoff time comes. And I don't buy two wins either. CC has 15 starts left assuming no injury. So 15 Sabathia starts vs. 15 Bush starts is only likelihood of winning two more games? Doesn't seem right.

I still do not fully understand Green being the PTBNL. Is the switch from the 3rd to 2nd that hard, especially when he played 2nd two years ago? If he is a PTBNL and they do not want him I wonder who they would take?

Stevo; Relax man. As you watch Gamel continue to rake, Jeffress firing strikeouts, and Sabathia lead us to the playoffs, Laporta will become a distant, designated hitting memory. Gammons just made it official. The baseball gods are smilin' on us!

Heh. Yeah, yeah. I just really liked LaPorta's power/patience combo. The Brewers really lack patience and OBP, and trading away LaPorta doesn't help at all. I think he'll have the higher OBP than Gamel because he's doing it now with a sustainable batting average, unlike Gamel.

So basically if Green is involved then JJ Hardy or Rickie Weeks are the 3rd baseman of the future because we really don't have one of those anywhere in the system since I assume Gamel will move to RF or 1B immediately and Green is gone.

I just don't understabd posts/overreactions like this. Why does this one trade need to dictate the future at every position? Up until last year, Ryan Braun was the 3B of the future. Mike Cameron certainly wasn't the CF of the future. These things change. Trades happen. FA sign. Etc. Etc. Etc.

How is this overreacting? This trade possibly effects TWO third base spots in our organization. Escobar is unofficially the short stop of the future. That would mean possibly that either JJ Hardy or Rickie Weeks would possibly take over at 3rd base. JJ is going to have to go somewhere anyways. If that is the case then I have no problem with it, I was just making an observation. I think you overreacted to my post.

It's only fun being a fan if you can project the 25 man roster for the next 10-15 years as was evident by the concern earlier this week on who would replace Lawrie in 2019.

Spare me with the "it should only amount to two wins difference" mantra. CC saves our pen almost every time he starts, and gives us the best 1-2 punch in NL when/if playoff time comes. And I don't buy two wins either. CC has 15 starts left assuming no injury. So 15 Sabathia starts vs. 15 Bush starts is only likelihood of winning two more games? Doesn't seem right.

It depends if we are talking home or away starts for Bush.

Archived