Brewer Fanatic

CC Sabathia to the Brewers for Matt LaPorta, Zach Jackson, Rob Bryson, and Michael Brantley

And That

39, you're good with me, don't worry about it. It sounds like one of your clients has been involved in a trade - I'm sure that's a very stressful thing to handle, especially when there's a million people calling for confirmation.

FWIW, the people I've heard from today are not members of the media. Nobody can nail down the remaining names, that's true, but Taylor Green is the one that keeps popping up. I'm sure we'll all know soon.

• Replies 919
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not sure why you think Attanasio would have a huge amount of input on this trade when very little money is actually involved.

Sometimes owners will go over GM's heads and force something to get done (firing managers, signing A-Rod), but I don't think we've ever got and indication that this is the case with Melvin/Mark A.

Was looking for an answer to the Gallardo question in another thread and came across this other old article that I thought might help ease some of the growing tensions waiting to get the final answers on the other prospects involved.

Evidently LaPorta + 2 lower level prospects = what comes out of a kazoo.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080502&content_id=2628825&vkey=news_mil&fext=.jsp&c_id=mil

"Brewers general manager Doug Melvin conceded that no team would be willing to trade away a pitcher the caliber of Gallardo, and that he would have to "pay out the kazoo" to get an arm of any value this early in the season."

Thanks for the link TLB...I was on the wrong page thinking they hadn't noticed or didn't care. Some real classics in there. I love the 28 page "Milwaukee Journal-Star" thread...just shows the lack of respect Chicago has for their "little brother to the north".

They've been polishing the 2008 Division title over there for a while. The general reaction have been some affected "yawns" but I know they can't be happy about the idea of facing a Sheets-Sabathia-Parra rotation in any kind of potential playoffs regardless of who takes the division.

I'm not really sure exactly where the brewers are for payroll at the moment, but half a year of C.C. Sabathia would be ~5.5 million dollars. I could see that needing Attanasio's approval, depending on how close the payroll is to the budgeted limit.

*Since I said something on topic: Agent39, can I get you to represent me to my softball team? I'm trying to raise my contract from having to pay in $10 a year!

I just hope that Brewer fans realize that this acquisition should be expected to translate into around 2 more wins over the rest of the season. If those two games are the difference between missing and making the playoffs, obviously it was worth it.

I suspect it's going to be Bush moved into the bullpen but I can almost guarantee you that he won't finish the season there.

First off, there is no way you can definitively say this will net two wins, you just can't. You can pull out any stat you want but you cannot prove how many wins this helps the Brewers get. I don't believe for a second that Sabathia is worth two wins, but that's not even the point. Do you want the Brewers to be in the playoffs throwing Sheets and Suppan in game 1 and 2 or Sheets and Sabathia? The Brewers got a hell of a lot better today.

Without sustained improvements its doubtful the Brewers can keep up this attendance pace. They need to do something more than win 83 games. That what I mean by financial pressure.

This team has sold out 15 games this year without CC. His salary won't make up for any incremental gains in increased attendance. Mark A. really seams to love being the owner of this team and improving the product he acquired. I don't think he is viewing the run at a WS as a financial move.

I find it funny that the few Cubs fans I have talked to since learning of the trade and the fans who post on Cubs message boards are kind of viewing this as an ehhhhhhh trade? They do realize we jut picked up last years Cy Young winner, we didn't mortgage our future, we still have a good/great offense and we still have plenty of pieces available to trade for some relief pitching. Perhaps they will change their mind when they have to face Sabathia, Sheets, and Parra in the Final four game series at Miller Park. We also have one heck of any easy schedule the rest of July, they better have us by at least 5 games going into September because they have a ton of road games (they have actually been worse than us on the road). I have also noticed that Manny Parra is really flying under the radar right now as well. Right now he is a #3 type pitcher but he quickly developing into a #2. If we can resign Sheets we still have one heck of a rotation next year

Evidently LaPorta + 2 lower level prospects = what comes out of a kazoo.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080502&content_id=2628825&vkey=news_mil&fext=.jsp&c_id=mil

"Brewers general manager Doug Melvin conceded that no team would be willing to trade away a pitcher the caliber of Gallardo, and that he would have to "pay out the kazoo" to get an arm of any value this early in the season."

Different situation, this is a rental, Yo is pre-arby.

We will pay out the Kazoo if we want pitching this off season, around 18 mil/per or we trade Fielder for a similar contract pitcher like Jame Shields, both will make about the same in Arby and are premium players. If we dont' move fielder, it would be Weeks, Hardy, or Hall with a boatload of prospects, that's the price of someone we can control more than 3 months.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

39, you're good with me, don't worry about it. It sounds like one of your clients has been involved in a trade - I'm sure that's a very stressful thing to handle, especially when there's a million people calling for confirmation.

FWIW, the people I've heard from today are not members of the media. Nobody can nail down the remaining names, that's true, but Taylor Green is the one that keeps popping up. I'm sure we'll all know soon.

Green's name has popped up several times however he is at home right now and has been since the game ended and nobody has contacted him. I doubt he is moved at this point but you never know.

Sometimes owners will go over GM's heads and force something to get done (firing managers, signing A-Rod), but I don't think we've ever got and indication that this is the case with Melvin/Mark A.

Right, I mean the closest that happened may have been the Suppan signing but then we had to deal with a rather large amount of money. There is no evidence that Attansio called up Melvin and said make the trade for Sabathia or else. And the financial impact is only about $5 million or so

And all this doesn't mean I'm against the trade, rather agnostic leaning towards good until the full complement of players is known

Mark A. really seams to love being the owner of this team and improving the product he acquired. I don't think he is viewing the run at a WS as a financial move.

Yeah, Mark A. seems to be moving into that stage of ownership where he already has his bumloads of money, and is now looking to win because having a winning team is fun. It gives him more time to promote his son's terrible, terrible band.

Without sustained improvements its doubtful the Brewers can keep up this attendance pace They were well ahead of last year's pace and probably would have drawn 3M regardless. Just a stab in the dark. Doug and Mark A have done everything to build a winner.

First off, there is no way you can definitively say this will net two wins, you just can't.

I don't think I've ever seen Russ claim that any of his statistical projections are definitive. Personally, I think a 2-3 win improvement is a pretty reasonable projection over half a season, and I'm quite excited to have it.

I know what he meant, but the guy is always throwing out some stat or some ratio to prove some roundabout point ... it just gets annoying. I don't care what stat you can find, when you replace your worst SP with CC Sabathia your team becomes a lot better. If it's not a big deal why doesn't every team fill a rotation with five Seth McClungs. I don't mean to mean to offend but anyone who thinks this isn't a colossal move for the Brewers has to take a step back.

I have also noticed that Manny Parra is really flying under the radar right now as well. Right now he is a #3 type pitcher but he quickly developing into a #2. If we can resign Sheets we still have one heck of a rotation next year

Someone over there said that Parra is "like Sean Marshall but without the MLB success."

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif

I am fairly certain that Attanasio is pretty confident in the financial condition of the Brewers. The guy owns a huge business I am sure he knows what he is doing. I would almost go so far as to say that a $100M+ payroll for the Brewers is in the near future. We almost have Top 10 attendance and their merchandise is just flying off of the shelves

Joe Morgan just stated that he thinks this trade is not worth the risk with the Brewers losing LaPorta and not being able to sign Sabbathia. For what it's worth.

That's worth basically nothing. I don't pay attention to anything coming out of his mouth. I remember back when Davey Lopes was hired, Joe Morgan stated something like "it's nice to see a minority hired as a manager of a major league team, even though Milwaukee barely counts as a major league team". I know we were terrible back then, but come on man!

Just now, during the Red Sox/Yankees game, there was a game break discussing today's tennis match (I don't follow tennis so I don't even know who was playing) and then discussing the trade. The other announcer was talking about the big trade and then left it for Joe Morgan to respond and he decided to talk about the tennis match instead. I'd imagine if C.C. were traded to the Red Sox or Yankees Joe Morgan would be talking about it the entire game....boy I hate Joe Morgan.

Archived